• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Ok, so I am involved in a "high risk" sport that we all enjoy here (gun shooting) and more than once I have heard instructors or experienced people (Pat Rogers comes to mind) say that it is stupid to be shooting without some kind of trauma kit. (Lest you are wondering, I heard Pat say this via DVD). So, I am wondering if all the INGO experts could share with me their knowledge about what they put in their "tactical first aid kit" and then what they put that kit in.

I am looking to put together a kit that would handle a range-type accident and could be thrown into a range bag, but also something that could be used/carried apart from a range bag for use in the event of a general, serious accident or firearm injury that was intentionally inflicted (read: perp shot me or I shot him [preferably the latter]). ;)

Some basic things come to mind:

tourniquet (or 2) (what type is best?)
    medical gloves
    bandages
    some kind of blood clotting agent (what method is best, powder or treated
    bandages?)
    etc, etc, etc.

Could you guys help me fill in some etc's? Thanks.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    check out the ITS and the Tactical response "kits". They have a run down of what is in them. THe most expensive items will be your clotting agents. They do have a "shelf life" as well. Usually a couple of years by mfr date. Could be good past that. Other retailers have Celotex clotting packs, you can price them your self. Putting a kit together on your own can be overwhelming, as there are about 2.7 trillion different things you can put in it...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Items I would have in a Trauma Kit;
    2 CAT (brand tq)
    2 medium izzy dressings
    2 large izzy dressings
    1 chest seal
    4 rolls of compressed gauze
    1 roll of med tape
    4 pair of nitrile gloves

If I am planning on being farther than 2 hours away from a Hospital I might include quikclot gauze, NPA, and a needle for chest sticks.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My range bag always has a cinchtight compressing dressing, a tourniquet and a pair of gloves.

However, every time I go to the range I throw my "range" blow out kit in my range bag, so the stuff above is just sort of a back up , or minimum.

Inside my range blow out kit I keep an H bandage-compressing dressing, a CAT tourniquet, a wad of primed gauze, a small quickclot gauze, some tape, a pair of gloves, an NPA, a 14ga needle, a couple safety pins and a small ziplock of boo boo stuff like bandaids and NSAID.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks all! You have given me a lot of things to check into and lots of good ideas and they will be very helpful to me. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Items I would have in a Trauma Kit;
    2 CAT (brand tq)
    2 medium izzy dressings
    2 large izzy dressings
    1 chest seal
    4 rolls of compressed gauze
    1 roll of med tape
    4 pair of nitrile gloves

If I am planning on being farther than 2 hours away from a Hospital I might include quikclot gauze, NPA, and a needle for chest sticks.
    This is pretty much what my kit consists of. ITS tactical is far too overpriced on their kits. You can put a kit like this together for about $60 (without bag or pouch), ITS charges $100 for half the useful items.

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    The CAT tourniquet velcro dosent stay attached to itself when covered in blood, they replaced my units cat tq with but can't remember what its called. I look tomorrow and let every one know, pluss I'll list whats in my issued IFAK and what they added b4 I went to afghanistan. Oh I still carry a cat tq in my IFAK and where ever I saw fit

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Most of the above is perfect...ditch all ideas associated with any store bought clotting agents, and do

Don't buy gloves unless you work in a kitchen. The idea seems sound, but you will never get them on, your hands will be too sweaty and or bloody, and they won't go on, wasting valuable time trying.

You can have a top notch kit together for $15 minus a one handed tourniquet.

Don't forget though...its worthless without training just say'n.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't forget though...its worthless without training just say'n.

As a dense sort of dummy, my experience with medical training is that it needs to be ongoing. For me anyway, I don't readily retain all that is learned right off. Over time, I have run into real world and close call "what if" situations that have caused me to return to the original teaching and to seek further.

Do you folks have links to brands, prices and places to purchase the items discussed above? We have often been explained to "build your own kit." Unless I've missed it, we are yet to have a detailed tried and true "this is what and where you need to buy."

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As a dense sort of dummy, my experience with medical training is that it needs to be ongoing. For me anyway, I don't readily retain all that is learned right off. Over time, I have run into real world and close call "what if" situations that have caused me to return to the original teaching and to seek further.

Do you folks have links to brands, prices and places to purchase the items discussed above?

I'll add links tonight when I crawl out of the combine, if no one else has beat me to it....

Med training is a very perishable skill for a couple of reasons;
    People forget what they do note use regularly.
    News techniques area coming out continuously.
    Old techniques area be constantly updated and refined.

In addition to constantly seeking further training, one must practice the skills learned regularly as well....

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    We have many of the items mentioned in stock, and will likely bring some of them to the 1500.

Medical Kits & Supplies

We will also be hosting Armed Dynamics' 10 Minute Medical class on Oct. 26th, in Bluffton.

Armed Dynamics Ten Minute Medicine

Short course description:
    10-Minute Medicine is a short course designed to provide the medical layperson with the knowledge and skills to rapidly identify and correct common life-threatening injuries to themselves and others in the minutes following a violent encounter. Topics covered will include an introduction to basic trauma concepts, an introduction to the EMS system, basic trauma assessment, identification and treatment of immediate life threats in a potentially hostile environment, and assembling a personal medical kit.

As for my kit:
    H compression bandage
    CAT 3 tq
    Trauma shears
    Compressed gauze
    Gloves
    Quicklot Combat Gauze
    Tape

475209_363098043738719_1366277812_o_zpsf842a167.jpg

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie

Retired paramedic with more than a few years of EMS in Atlanta and Denver chiming in here...

First, you're quite correct that training needs to be ongoing. Find a good first aid class (and possibly a "Wilderness First Responder" class) and retake them every two years or so.

Another option is to get in touch with your local ambulance service and volunteer to be a "victim" during their training sessions. You'll get to act the role of an injured person, and observe as their EMTs/Paramedics practice the treatments needed. Good insight to be had there.

Consider taking an EMT class, too. Not very long...120 hours or so... and very helpful info to know.

Finally, remember the following maxim of trauma care: Air should go in and out of the mouth or nose, blood should stay in the body, any deviation of the above is a Bad Thing, and nothing will "fix" major trauma except the skill of a surgeon. Keep 'em warm, stop the bleeding if you can, and de-ass the area (go to the ER.)

My "trauma" kit, such that it is, for the range or back country travel: Handful of bulk gauze, a roller bandage (i.e. ACE Wrap), a tampon (seriously, they do wonders to staunch bleeding), a tourniquet, one packet of Quick Clot Combat Gauze, a sharp knife, and the knowledge to use them all.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What I have

My IFAK includes

· Quick Clot Sponge

· Celox

· EMT Shears

· Hemostats

· Benchmade Rescue Hock

· Israeli Bandage

· Tourniquet

· Mole Skin

· Red Paracord

· Red Cross Patch

Suture Kit
    sorry about the strickthroughs, that's just what I did as I got the stuff(it used to be a wish list)

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    I have a little experience with trauma.

I have used these Emergency with very good effect. They do the job very well. You need to make sure its taped to secure it though.

We also use a version of these. Once again its a great tool. But remember they will and can be soaked though. Its a pressure dressing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWjfIQpK8Y&feature=related[/ame]

Gloves sound like a good idea but....... Gloves will dry rot very quickly. Mine only last maybe 2-3 weeks in my pockets before I have to throw my extra sets away.

Clotting agents are a interesting subject. Some clotting agents actually do damage by heat. I have heard some are good but work does not use any of them.

Unless you know what you are doing clamps, it might be pretty dangerous.

KERLIX? Gauze Bandage Rolls

Kerlix is amazing stuff. A few rolls and you can do anything.

5x9 Dressing is another also known as....

Kotex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Which is actually better than most products. Get a box of just plain stuff. You can actually judge blood loss by how many pads you used. Cheap and very very good at its job.

I carry some ABC stuff in mine.

Oropharyngeal airway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airway Airway Airway

Pocket mask - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just not for CPR.

Go for small and cheap. Remember your going to throw this stuff away.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1st gen kwikclot did have an exothermic reaction when clotting up on occasion and I would bet in the wrong kind of wound would feel like fire. Newer stuff is mo'betta.

If your prepping a little bit try adding abd pads or big thick kotex to your list of things to have. Good bartering item and its a Swiss army knife of bandages. Sanitary napkins not being available after shtf will be sought after for a multitude of reasons.

Contact your local fire dept and found out when their next inservice is for their medics' continuing educational hours. The state requires all paramedics and emts to have mini classes, alot of times with hands on training included, and keep up with their skillsets. They don't charge and its a good way toi maintain proficiency. Cheap too.

Always wear gloves. Don't be a hero and play around in blood and vomit without them. Hep B ain't no fun

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    I do not know of anyplace that would let you in on a in-service esp. a medic in-service. Talk about a huge huge liability. If you know someone then maybe.... My work would not just let anyone do that.

Most of our training is done online through a intranet. We have a huge huge training staff that makes up programs geared towards what they want us to do. Skills are scheduled and you go to a skills lab that could be on any side of the city. They have some cool toys though. They have those Pt. sims that can do anything. They are really only used for Paramedics though because of the number of EMTs they have to push though every 2 years.

Classes in Indiana are changing due to some new stuff that has passed this year. EMT class is always good to have but its pricey and long. It is pretty in-depth but general. Its for people just starting in the field.

Top Bottom