• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am planning on going to Idaho in early summer to hunt prairie dogs and am plannng to fly. Can anyone give me guidance or suggestions on what I should do as far as checking my rifle for the flight? Also, any suggestions on the best hard case to use. I am concerned about the abuse the case and rifle will take form the baggage handlers and the airlines. Thanks in advance.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am planning on going to Idaho in early summer to hunt prairie dogs and am plannng to fly. Can anyone give me guidance or suggestions on what I should do as far as checking my rifle for the flight? Also, any suggestions on the best hard case to use. I am concerned about the abuse the case and rifle will take form the baggage handlers and the airlines. Thanks in advance.

i flew with a few long guns on september 18 2001. i thought it would be a pita right after 9-11 but it wasn't to bad. i will say you can not get to sturdy of a case. i bought a really nice expensive case (dont remember the brand) and was glad i did. the airline beat the hell out of my case.

make sure to check your zero when you get there.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Get the absolute best case you can afford. You pay big bucks for a great firearm and then put it in a $1.50 case, just don't make sense.
    I have heard that Pelican is about the best. From my own experience. I have looked at many, I can take my hand and push down on the side of many cases, It moves. With Pelican, I can push down and it does not move.
    Look at the hinges, make sure they don't have a cheap nail as a pin for the hinges. Make sure the hinge pin is basically sealed for lack of a better word.

Bascally think like a theif and see how you would break into the gun case.

Take a look at the manner in which the pad locks can work.

Just about any of the best cases will cost you around $200.00 bucks or better.
    Just my two cents. I am sure others will weigh in also.

Good Luck and have a great trip.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I work for an airline. I can tell you be absolutely sure to have some strong cases, else you have a great chance of ending up with some damaged guns. Those rampers DO NOT care about you or your belongings.

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    They will need to examine the rifle @ check-in to be sure there is no ammo w/the gun. Also - get a case that can be padlocked - then after inspection - they will allow you to padlock the case. And yes - You will feel weird and people will stare @ you walking into the airport w/a gun case!!

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Beware some airlines require that the ammo be packed in a separate case from the gun. That is real inconvenient if you aren't checking a bag other than the gun case. The rules are sometimes slightly different from airline to airline so check in advance.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I work for an airline. I can tell you be absolutely sure to have some strong cases, else you have a great chance of ending up with some damaged guns. Those rampers DO NOT care about you or your belongings.

Agreed and I also work for an airline.......

TSA will break the lock to look inside if they feel they need, you can buy TSA approved lock's that they have key's to that way the case is not moving around with no lock, they look then put the lock back on... if it was pad locked then you are out of luck.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Each airline is different. That is the best place for info. I have a SKB case that I have used for 10 years with no problems other than a broken lock or two. SKB will send you ones for free to replace them.

If you dont want to drop a few hundred for a new case and you are local to Indy you could borrow mine.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Also, a lot of people will mail their valuables to where ever they are going and pick them up at the local PO. I dont know what kinds of regulations you'd face doing it that way, but its just a thought.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Beware some airlines require that the ammo be packed in a separate case from the gun. That is real inconvenient if you aren't checking a bag other than the gun case. The rules are sometimes slightly different from airline to airline so check in advance.

Second that! Some airlines will go 'above the call of duty' and require you to jump through different hoops to check a fire arm. Call ahead to the carrier and double check their procedure and if you are perturbed like me, keep a number/name of people that those check-in people can call to get the low-down. I stopped packing my CC because every check in person would freak out and cause all kinds of problems.... I lose :(

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Agreed and I also work for an airline.......

TSA will break the lock to look inside if they feel they need, you can buy TSA approved lock's that they have key's to that way the case is not moving around with no lock, they look then put the lock back on... if it was pad locked then you are out of luck.

Wrong. Do not use a TSA lock on a gun case. The firearm will be inspected in your presence, you will then lock the case and pocket the key. If the case needs to be opened again they will try to contact you (be at your gate), if you cannot be contacted the case will not go on the plane

TSA website concerning firearms TSA: Traveling with Special Items

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you.
    emphasis added

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Wrong. Do not use a TSA lock on a gun case. The firearm will be inspected in your presence, you will then lock the case and pocket the key. If the case needs to be opened again they will try to contact you (be at your gate), if you cannot be contacted the case will not go on the plane

TSA website concerning firearms TSA: Traveling with Special Items

emphasis added

Beat me to it Bill..............this is exactly true.............I recently made a trip with a firearm and a few since then......here is the link to that thread..

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...i_m_flying_to_az_and_i_m_bringing_my_gun.html

I also recommend a pelican case. There is no better case on the market and you can find them for a resonable price. They are actually rather affordable and worth every penny!!!!! They are water-proof and will float in water.:twocents:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Pelican for sure. Also look for re-branded Pelican cases for a somewhat cheaper solution.

I was under the impression that some of Pelican's cases were not air travel certified. Now they obviously do have some that are ok on planes but I have a couple friends who are semi-serious photographers who have stopped using Pelican cases and cited that as why.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I was under the impression that some of Pelican's cases were not air travel certified. Now they obviously do have some that are ok on planes but I have a couple friends who are semi-serious photographers who have stopped using Pelican cases and cited that as why.

Air travel certified? What's that? They are by no means traditional ATA cases, but they are excellent for air travel and transporting guns. I have trucked and flown with pelicans and storm cases for years, 100's of times. They are tough. I work with a ton of AV and production staff that transport their livelihood (20k + $) in pelicans 150 flights a year.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I never researched it myself but I had a number of people tell me about how some Pelican cases were not approved by the FAA or some other air travel agency. Maybe it is just a silly archaic law that doesn't get enforced, or maybe it was just something that they heard from someone else.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    PELICAN spend the bucks and know your gun will be safe. Buy a couple good padlocks and follow the instructions you are given at baggage check in. The instructions there never seem to match whats on the 'net. Seems each airport does things a little bit differently.

Top Bottom