Traveling to the dreaded state of New York............SUGGESTIONS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No way! Do not do this. Only NY residents can get NY gun licenses. This would include long guns and ammo. When I travel back tot he midwest everything is FOPA locked until the Penn border where Utah permit kicks in as it does in OH. Then the reciprocity states of IN and MI for my MA license. DO NOT bring any firearm to NY or NJ unless you are traveling through to a state you can carry. In the Northeast that basically restricts you to NH, VT, Maine, and if you can get one, an out of stet MA license. RI is a no go like NY and NJ.

I do believe PA honors IN licenses...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ^^^^THIS^^^^!!! Think of it as a visit to a foreign country--like mexico.:noway:

Worse. Just from reading INGO if you're locked up for carrying multiple guns and lots of ammo into Mexico then you're hero and army is suppose to come and rescue you. But if you get caught in NY/NJ then you're an idiot and get what you deserve.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I do believe PA honors IN licenses...

Maybe. Sorry I was describing what I need to do once or twice a year. Thye do not honor MA as MA does not do reciprocity....only out of state licenses, but you have to physically come here to get it.
    And flare guns will likely not be a way out.....I just can't see that going well in the Northeast.

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Honestly, you'll be fine. It isn't like you're going to a war zone, just keep aware of your surroundings, stay alert, etc. It's only for a few days.

+1. At the risk of getting flamed and torn apart here, are some INGOers so married to their guns that the very concept of 24hrs without it strapped to their hip fills them with dread? I'm genuinely curious. I carry whenever I can but work needs me to travel a lot and its not all domestic. I don't have time to check a bag and go through firearm inspections at the airport every week so frequently the EDC gets left behind. I don't feel significantly less safe for not having it on me because as Redhorse says I'm not working in a war zone, and its only 24-48hrs. I think it would be incredibly depressing to be that dependent on a CC and such strict, self imposed travel restrictions as a result.

As I stated above, this is not to offend or start a flame war, I'm just really curious because as pro gun and pro carry as I am, I just can't seem to relate.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    +1. At the risk of getting flamed and torn apart here, are some INGOers so married to their guns that the very concept of 24hrs without it strapped to their hip fills them with dread? I'm genuinely curious. I carry whenever I can but work needs me to travel a lot and its not all domestic. I don't have time to check a bag and go through firearm inspections at the airport every week so frequently the EDC gets left behind. I don't feel significantly less safe for not having it on me because as Redhorse says I'm not working in a war zone, and its only 24-48hrs. I think it would be incredibly depressing to be that dependent on a CC and such strict, self imposed travel restrictions as a result.

As I stated above, this is not to offend or start a flame war, I'm just really curious because as pro gun and pro carry as I am, I just can't seem to relate.

You don't need to relate. You make your choices, others make theirs. Your choices are based on your perceptions, your experiences, and your principles.

I will ask this in general to no particular individual: if someone will be "just fine" in a non-permissive environment like New York or New Jersey, why won't they also be just as fine in Indiana or Kentucky or Michigan? If you don't think you need to carry where the laws make it difficult, why would you bother carrying where the laws don't impede that choice?

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Many of my travels are unarmed. I am not comfortable, but many of these states are very unforgiving. I just got from Canada today. I am now armed again.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Why not a Kel-tec sub 2000 in a laptop case? Mine resides in a back pack next to the gun safe. Discretely mobile and legal in many places handguns are not. YMMV, of course.

Not sure about the above post regarding long arms in New York state suggesting that rifles are prohibited; http:// http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/new-york.aspx states: "There is no state license requirement for the possession of a rifle or shotgun, so long as the rifle has barrel(s) at least 16 inches in length and the shotgun has barrel(s) at least 18 inches in length." I would want to follow up to be certain, of course.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    :scratch:
    Not sure if this is a serious post or not. You do realize they don't "steal it" - they imprison you, don't you?

They may not always imprison you, but they can.
    But I DO mean "steal", because by them taking it, they're violating your right to bear arms by enforcing an illegal law, which makes it an unlawful seizure (i.e. theft).

Then if they imprison you for "violating" an illegal law, that technically makes you a political prisoner.

Additionally, why lose your favorite carry gun? :D

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    They may not always imprison you, but they can.
    But I DO mean "steal", because by them taking it, they're violating your right to bear arms by enforcing an illegal law, which makes it an unlawful seizure (i.e. theft).

Then if they imprison you for "violating" an illegal law, that technically makes you a political prisoner.

Additionally, why lose your favorite carry gun? :D

And of course it's ALWAYS important to have your favorite carry gun available while being a "political prisoner"!:@ya:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Why not a Kel-tec sub 2000 in a laptop case? Mine resides in a back pack next to the gun safe. Discretely mobile and legal in many places handguns are not. YMMV, of course.

Not sure about the above post regarding long arms in New York state suggesting that rifles are prohibited; http:// http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/new-york.aspx states: "There is no state license requirement for the possession of a rifle or shotgun, so long as the rifle has barrel(s) at least 16 inches in length and the shotgun has barrel(s) at least 18 inches in length." I would want to follow up to be certain, of course.

You need to be NY resident for that to apply......

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And of course it's ALWAYS important to have your favorite carry gun available while being a "political prisoner"!:@ya:

If you don't like my terminology, then better describe what having your properly taken using an illegal (unconstitutional) law and imprisoned using an illegal (unconstitutional) law is.
    Or do you support state governments passing unconstitutional laws that violate our rights, then arresting us and imprisoning us?

Top Bottom