• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I got my first climber for this archery/ML season. Although I am a seasoned hunter I've always done the ladder stand or blind thing.

I plan on having a small folding saw, and I'm not worried about my physical ability to climb, but still want to hear what yall know.

What are some tips or experiences that yal have to share that might make my first time in the woods a bit easier?

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    What we do is go out about once a month beginning in June to scout trees we want to hunt from and climb them and clear them out at least twice before bow season starts.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Choose your tree carefully. Loose bark trees such as hickory are tough to climb. Avoid pine or spruce like the plague unless you want everything sticking to you. Some of the corky bark trees grip the climbers teeth very well but sometimes it can be difficult to dislodge the teeth and pull your foot platform out away from the tree. I really like the stirrup type device that you slide your feet into versus straps etc. They are much easier to get your feet into in the dark, wet, with big boots. Pre climb your tree to make sure there is a good shooting lane and that the tree doesn't lean too much. Also make sure that you are not leaning up against a knot or stick as this might seem like a little annoyance at first, it becomes a major pain after a few hours.

Finally and very important and you don't realize how important until it happens: Tie the seat portion of the stand to the foot platform with a section of cord long enough to allow you to climb. It is a horrible feeling to be 20 feet up in a tree making your final adjustments on your stand and be sitting on the bar of your stand facing the tree and have the foot platform slip down the tree, out of reach.

Thought of one other. Be sure of the distance between the seat and the foot platform is comfortable. Too high or too low can cause your legs to fall asleep. Check it out on your pre climb and note the distance where it is comfortable on your leg so you can set the stand in the dark and be comfortable. You don't want to be adjusting height 1/2 hour after sun up.

Summit tree stand stirrups:

aXFKMqnx0-5aThE3u4u2YOmzpXCQKoW1e3AlH9_9dV32fguDaTiaPMmLYEvz2c_hM5XeC83H4rJX1LhJ9uPr1YmKWGnm4K87QAhx74oZku42fSHTYJrkTzAiqJ8FKZvLs1Os0GO1C-0WSrjULWXkfLuhqQ0rSETXZiuIKa5P3p789hfvuGFq3LzoDB53J7uPNg

Last edited:

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You also want to make sure that feet platform has a upward angle to it when you start out at the bottom of the tree. Remember that the tree will get narrower as you go up so if you start with the upward angle it should end up level when you get to your height. If you start with it level at the bottom you will end up with it at a scary downward angle when you get up to where you want to be.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Practice like the real thing: if you plan on setting up on before sunrise than practice putting your stand together and climbing in the dark. I note you have a folding saw; the only thing you want to do on in a climber is climb or sit. As another stated scout your trees and prep them before the season. I don't know if you can cut branches on trees on public lands.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    You also want to make sure that feet platform has a upward angle to it when you start out at the bottom of the tree. Remember that the tree will get narrower as you go up so if you start with the upward angle it should end up level when you get to your height. If you start with it level at the bottom you will end up with it at a scary downward angle when you get up to where you want to be.

Should have mentioned this. Again it can be really uncomfortable if it's set up wrong.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Dont forget to clip your bow to your pull string.

Unzip your jacket and take off your hat, you can get over heated climbing and dont want to sweat up.

Enjoy the sunrise and the woods waking up. Its better than the kill.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Thought of another one. A head lamp is your best friend. Either a clip on to your cap bill, but as another said, I usually take my cap off to prevent overheating, or the strap on type. Make sure that is adjustable up or down so you can get the light right. I also found that unless you have your spot marked somehow in your tree as too how high you want to set your stand, you tend to think you are higher up than you really are. Sun comes up and you thought you climbed 20 feet only to find you are 10 feet off of the ground. I use my haul rope as my guide. When it gets tight, I'm at the right height.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah head light with a red cover. Use the reflective tacks to find your tree. I have my pull rope set so that it pulls tight when I am at the correct height.

Tell family when you will be back and have a cell phone. Accidents happen, you dont want to be hanging their for a day.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Don't fall. Lol. Watch leaning to much to one side or the other. Leaning too far to one side will cause the oppisite side to loose grip on the tree. It obviously won't fall out of tree, but, scares the hell out of you when it happens.

I was leaning over one side of mine last year, to grab the rope hanging from the bottom part of my stand, to pull my bow up and leaned just a hair too far, and top section dropped about 5" and I thought I was going down. But I caught myself and was ok. That was the first and last time that I will do that.

That's one way not to wake up in a hurry early in the morning, especially when it's pitch black out.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Thanks everyone - this has been very informative for me. I'm getting a climber from a friend, so I plan to do a couple of test climbs just in my summer clothes to get familiar with the mechanics, etc. Then I'll work with heavier clothing and add in the bow/shotgun and see how it goes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im sure they have improved since i last used them, but when i did i quit for 2 reasons.

the biggest was they are extreamly loud

the other is i had issues getting it tight enough to the tree that i sat level and still be able to climb as quietly as possible

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Many moons in a tree

I started with an old hand me down Baker that was noisy and flat dangerous compared to todays stands. Had a big Loggy Bayou for a few years that was noisy to climb with but solid as a rock and comfortable to sit. I've settled on a Summit now, at least until I can afford a Lone Wolf. All the tips have been good.
    I climb with my safety rope attached to the seat portion and my vest/harness. Safest way is probably to tie it to the tree and move it up every time but I find that to be an incredible PITA. Safety harness is a must. If you need one I can come up with a serviceable one from all the ones that have come with my ladder stands.
    Head lamp is a definite plus. Wet trees can be treacherous. Climb cold. leave the jacket in your pack with your hat and face net. (Unless it's just freezing)
    One of those primos folding bow hangers is a worthwhile investment. Put it in your pocket b4 you go up and screw it in. saves juggling your bow and bag while you're trying to get settled. And whatever you do, don't forget to tie your pull up rope to the stand or the back of your belt.

Sucks to have to climb the tree twice. Carry a spare release if you use one.

Good Luck in the woods!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Thanks fellers, keep it coming this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. For all those concerned via PM or rep, or post, yes I have a brand new harness, thanks for the concern.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks fellers, keep it coming this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. For all those concerned via PM or rep, or post, yes I have a brand new harness, thanks for the concern.

mabye im crazy but i dont think harnesses are such a good thing. mabye the nice ones are a good thing but the cheapos that come with stands are not. i wore one once, after getting the harness wrapped around my feet about making me fall i took it off and havent wore one again

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's not something you want to do a whole bunch of times, and it tears the hell out of the tree. They don't always grip right and it's easy to lose the bite on the lower. The upper part isn't as bad since you're just standing and pushing it up. Trying to pull your legs up and have that thing slip back down 3 or 4 times in a row will wear you right out.

In HS, my friend would put his climber up ahead of time, and then screw pegs into the tree and use those to climb up and down.

Also, don't climb with your gun or bow. Use a rope to pull it up.

Top Bottom