• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    This is a new problem for me. I own a small 5 acre spread that butts up to land owned by my parents. They don't allow hunting in on the land for liability reasons to anyone who isn't family. The land totals about 40 +/- acres with all of it being owned by my parents except my 5 acres and a 5 acre corner lot. The corner lot is the problem. The guy who bought it from my grandfather has no qualms about going into the woods owned by my parents to hunt. I've taken down 3 tree stands this year and repaired "tree damage" to the fence on more than one occasion since he moved in. I've never caught him red handed, but I've tracked his trail to the fence that joins up to my parents land. My parents are older (later 60's) and don't want him in the woods but don't know what exactly to do. I act as steward for the land, cleaning up dead fall, keeping the trails and campsites that we like to use clear, and doing fence and other repairs. I've told him to stay out, my brother told him to stay out, and my parents have told him to stay out. Frankly, I don't know what else to do. We've contacted the sheriff, but unless he's caught in the act, he can't do anything. Any suggestions? Its worth mentioning that the afore mentioned fence is an electric fence my grandfather had set up for cattle. Maybe up the voltage to Jurassic Park levels?

birdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    You could try some cleverly placed trail / game cams, and see if you can get photo evidence. Not sure if that will help gain assistance from the sheriff or not.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IT sounds like you've done what you're supposed to in the name of "neighborly".
    I'd shoot the stands full of holes when you see them OR set them on fire.
    My property, my rules. Do it smart.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    go to his line that joints your ground and put NO TRESPASSING signs every 10 ft or so......then call the sheriff and have him give him a talkin' too........tell him the next you call the sheriff you'll file charges........

worked for me when i had a neighbor mowing on me......

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Take the tree stands you find on your property and put them in the front yard with a big "for sale" sign. Maybe make your own signs that say something like Trespassers' Tree Stands for Sale....Cheap.

birdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are going to go that route, you all are being too nice. Ensure that each step above the second has only one nail remaining. Or just weaken the structure of the platform. It's on your property, do as you see fit. If people feel they have the right to violate yours, then they should learn a lesson.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you are going to go that route, you all are being too nice. Ensure that each step above the second has only one nail remaining. Or just weaken the structure of the platform. It's on your property, do as you see fit. If people feel they have the right to violate yours, then they should learn a lesson.

Bad idea, he gets hurt, you can be sued for his injuries even though he is trespassing. This could be considered a booby trap under the law, and if it can; under your own omission that "no one" other than family is allowed on the property, be proven, you could be facing a lot of legal trouble.

Remove every stand you find then set up trail cams and work with the illegal hunting angle with the DNR.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I wouldn't tamper with stands to make them unsafe for the reasons wolfman just posted. We usually just remove the ladder. It makes it pretty obvious when they return that they have been discovered and they have to come and ask for it. I would also have the trail camera set up to record their return and their reaction to the ladder being gone. If it isn't their stand on your property, there should be no obvious reaction.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    A trail cam seems like the best idea... Careful, if they are trespassing more than likely they will swipe a trail cam too. With a couple pics maybe the sheriff can give him a friendly visit. Make sure some no trespassing signs are up. Is the property clearly marked??

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Not that it matters, in Indiana, If you allow someone to hunt, and as long as you're not charging to hunt/access your private property, you carry no liability. (This unfortunately doesn't apply to trespassers) A few years back, the Indiana Deer Regulations book stated this and added a landowner's permit form in the book to photocopy for both hunter and landowner. Bottom line, you don't want him or others hunting on your property and that's the way it should be.
    Keep collecting every stand you find and eventually you'll catch him on your property. Call the authorities and follow through with a complaint and if the county prosecutor does his job, you'll be rid of him.
    Good luck.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    well, you could always wait until he is poaching... Criminal trespass with a weapon seems like it would fall under 35-41-3. Catch him there, hold him at gunpoint and call the sheriff.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Where he cuts the fence a well placed piece of plywood with a lot of 16's nailed thru it, place plywood with nails facing up and cover with small amount of dirt and leaves then wait... He will only walk in that way one time or at least until his holes in his feet heal up... ;) A 4x4 foot sheet should work great... Make sure you can't see it at all... Then again where his tree stand is do the same thing at the base of the tree wear he would stand to start his climb, again make sure its covered very well and can't be seen... Make sure the plywood is on your property side of the fence area...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Where he cuts the fence a well placed piece of plywood with a lot of 16's nailed thru it, place plywood with nails facing up and cover with small amount of dirt and leaves then wait... He will only walk in that way one time or at least until his holes in his feet heal up... ;) A 4x4 foot sheet should work great... Make sure you can't see it at all... Then again where his tree stand is do the same thing at the base of the tree wear he would stand to start his climb, again make sure its covered very well and can't be seen... Make sure the plywood is on your property side of the fence area...

As I said before in another post, this is a very bad idea, he gets hurt, you can be sued for his injuries even though he is trespassing. This could be considered a booby trap under the law, and if it can; under your own omission that "no one" other than family is allowed on the property, be proven, you could be facing a lot of legal trouble.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    How can it be proven that no one other than the family is allowed on the property when the trespassing neighbor is on the property? That trespassing neighbor could very well set the traps for himself to try and blame the landowner for financial gain. I would step on a few nails for $100,000 or so.

As I said before in another post, this is a very bad idea, he gets hurt, you can be sued for his injuries even though he is trespassing. This could be considered a booby trap under the law, and if it can; under your own omission that "no one" other than family is allowed on the property, be proven, you could be facing a lot of legal trouble.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana

He has been told to KEEP OFF so now I would be done F**k'n around with him time to make a point KEEP OFF MEANS KEEP OFF !!!!!!!

Top Bottom