• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Sorry in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Anybody here do trigger work on their daily carry gun? Is this a good idea? I did the $0.25 trigger job on my G17 and love it and am debating doing the same to my G19 which is what I currtoently use for EDC. Also has anyone ever used the Ghost Inc. connectors in their Glocks?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you like it what you did to the 17, I'd say polish away on the 19. If the slight modification makes you more comfortable or a better shooter go for it. I don't see the harm.

I personally wouldn't put the 3.5 lb connector on my carry gun (also Glock 19) because I am okay with the factory setup and I tend to like a heavier pull, but that's just personal preference.

If you're worried about legal ramifications or an over zealous prosecutor after a SD shooting, I'd say the odds of that happening are so slim it is probably never going to truly be an issue. This is a very common modification.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    If you like it what you did to the 17, I'd say polish away on the 19. If the slight modification makes you more comfortable or a better shooter go for it. I don't see the harm.

I personally wouldn't put the 3.5 lb connector on my carry gun (also Glock 19) because I am okay with the factory setup and I tend to like a heavier pull, but that's just personal preference.

If you're worried about legal ramifications or an over zealous prosecutor after a SD shooting, I'd say the odds of that happening are so slim it is probably never going to truly be an issue. This is a very common modification.

My dad told me that he was told not to modify his carry gun as a prosecutor could take this as you were looking/planning on using it. Any practical truth to this? He was told this when he first started carrying, but he ended up modifying his EDC quite a bit.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    My dad told me that he was told not to modify his carry gun as a prosecutor could take this as you were looking/planning on using it. Any practical truth to this? He was told this when he first started carrying, but he ended up modifying his EDC quite a bit.

I've heard people say this all over the Internet but none of the people saying this have ever been able to cite any example of someone using a handgun with a modified trigger in SD being prosecuted over it. I'm inclined to believe it's an Internet myth.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yeah, I'd say it's more urban legend than anything. I'm sure there are some extreme cases, but polishing the trigger wouldn't even be something anyone would notice.

Now, engraving something like "vigilante justice" or "scumbag stopper" on the slide might be unwise.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    I have been thinking of doing the same thing to my 19. I love the 5.5 lb trigger pull but would like to take it down to about 3 lbs. However, I have been told by LEO and also read opinions that it would not look good in a court of law if you were testifying for yourself in a defensive shooting. Just my opinion though. And I haven't decided yet if I am going to do mine. One gunshop owner I talked to said "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It would be the same as telling someone not to sharpen a knife if they carry it because the prosecutor could say you was expecting to cut someone.... Just sounds silly.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know of one example where an over zealous prosector tried to make an issue of this or something along the lines (I think it had more to do with hollow points and extra mags). Massad Ayoob ended up as an expert witness for the defense and it was thrown out. It's been awhile, and it's something I'm not really concerned about, so I'm not going to find the article.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've seen this question come up on INGO several times. I have to say this is the only time where the responses weren't full of gun shop mythology, etc. It's almost like INGO is growing up. ;)

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Trigger job is no problem. A good trigger makes you more accurate, which minimizes the chances you will miss an attacker and hit an innocent bystander. The only time I can imagine it being a bad idea is if you get it so light for bullseye type shooting that you accidentally shoot someone you didn't intend to shoot. I have had triggers that were under a pound for rifles shooting long range. I would never recommend one that light for any handgun.

As has been said here already, no, it makes you no more liable for a self defense shooting. You were either justified in using deadly force or not. Unless you were using some insane bullet designed to explode on contact then anything common should be good to go.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Sorry in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Anybody here do trigger work on their daily carry gun? Is this a good idea? I did the $0.25 trigger job on my G17 and love it and am debating doing the same to my G19 which is what I currtoently use for EDC. Also has anyone ever used the Ghost Inc. connectors in their Glocks?

The Ghost connectors work fine on Glocks. Install with confidence. I see no problem with making your EDC operate as smoothly as your range toy. Having similar trigger pull and reset seems like a good idea. You aren't trying to install a "hair trigger" just taking it down from ~5lbs to ~3.5 lbs.

If you are involved in a self defense situation and charges are filled against you (for some reason) the Prosecutor can make an issue out of anything that he thinks will help him win. It is up to you (and your attorney) to do the same. Did you "modify" the firearm? "Yes, I made some minor changes. I also changed the color of the grips as a personal preference."

Top Bottom