• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Bringing this back up to see if anyone has come up with a test/calibration technique for these?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...universal-trigger-weight-system-prod9710.aspx

FWIW, my Timney trigger pull scale that I've had for years and my new (thanks to this thread costing me curiosity dollars) Lyman trigger pull gauge consistently read within an ounce of each other with a slow steady pull.

The Timney seems to be a bit more consistent.

It is easier to get consistent readings with 1911 type straight pull triggers than with hinged triggers where placing and keeping the trigger gauge in the same location is more problematic.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Bringing this back up to see if anyone has come up with a test/calibration technique for these?

The redneck calibration procedure involves a sandwich baggie, a thin string (or heavy thread) about 4' long, and a box of jacketed bullets.

1) calculate the net weight of the bullets and dump them in the baggie and seal it. A hundred 70 grain bullets weighs 7000 grains= one lb., but you can use any significant amount.
    2) tie one end of the string to the baggie. Then tie the other end of the string to the baggie. This should create a large loop about 2 feet long.
    3) Put the loop on the pull gauge and gently pick up the baggie. The unit should read the weight of the bullets in ounces.

Redneck pull gauge is essentially the same steps except you loop the string through the trigger guard and pick up the unloaded gun straight up. The string should run down each side of the stock from the trigger to the baggie. Make sure the string isn't wrapped around the stock and preventing the baggie to hang free. If the trigger doesn't trip, add bullets to the baggie and repeat as needed. When the trigger breaks, count the bullets, calculate the grains, convert it to ounces.

Don't ask me how I know.....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The redneck calibration procedure involves a sandwich baggie, a thin string (or heavy thread) about 4' long, and a box of jacketed bullets.

1) calculate the net weight of the bullets and dump them in the baggie and seal it. A hundred 70 grain bullets weighs 7000 grains= one lb., but you can use any significant amount.
    2) tie one end of the string to the baggie. Then tie the other end of the string to the baggie. This should create a large loop about 2 feet long.
    3) Put the loop on the pull gauge and gently pick up the baggie. The unit should read the weight of the bullets in ounces.

Redneck pull gauge is essentially the same steps except you loop the string through the trigger guard and pick up the unloaded gun straight up. The string should run down each side of the stock from the trigger to the baggie. Make sure the string isn't wrapped around the stock and preventing the baggie to hang free. If the trigger doesn't trip, add bullets to the baggie and repeat as needed. When the trigger breaks, count the bullets, calculate the grains, convert it to ounces.

Don't ask me how I know.....

Thanks Rich!

I'm gonna give these ideas a try. I have a few different sorts of scales around. Just couldn't figure how to use one to check the other.

It's funny that some scales suggest calibration every time and others don't even show a prescribed way to verify them, much less calibrate.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a big name like Lyman?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I tried pulling one trigger pull gauge against the other and letting off quickly and got ~equal readings from both (spring type vs electronic).

I also used random weighed items in a bag to be sure my first service rifle met requirements and later to test my first scale type trigger pull gauge.

Top Bottom