• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • locki433

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Hello all, First post here. I'm getting ready for a trip to florida in a couple of weeks and have look at the reciprocal laws for the states driving down there, but not sure I understand the federal transportation laws. Can I drive from Indiana through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and into Florida with my gun on me? Or does it have to be in the trunk until I get there? Thanks for the help and loving the forums.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Suggest you go to Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry and select the states you have licenses for. It'll show you which states recognize the one (or ones) you have. I drive from Indiana to Florida and the only state you might want to avoid is South Carolina. That website also lists all the rules and regs for the various states you'll be traveling through, so you can check what they are.

It's one of the more expensive ones, but you can click on the FL permit after you select Indiana to see which additional states that 2nd permit will get you. The thing that's nice about Florida's permit is that they've got about a dozen locations all around the state where it's a one-stop shop. You set up an appointment via the web and then just show up with your checkbook and ID and they take care of everything while you're at the location. Very simple and efficient as long as you're going to be in the state anyway. Took me about 20 minutes to go thru all the steps and the FL non-resident permit showed up in the mail a few weeks later. You will have to have proof that you've taken at least some sort of gun safety class - NRA, or some other one.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Each of those states recognizes IN's license. Watch the state where "no gun" signs are legal. I think it's TN. Also, check on informing officers if stopped. I just carried from IN to FL without issue. I know I was half OCing and printing badly several times.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    You're good to go in those states. FL is CC. Some of the states have places which are off limits to carry that differ from IN. Check the above referenced site and it will explain most of the differences.

I checked with each of those states before my trip... to make sure. Kentucky was the most informed, polite and the first person had the answers. After that, it only gets worse the further south you go. Trying to get info from FL, forgetaboutit! :(

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Hello all, First post here. I'm getting ready for a trip to florida in a couple of weeks and have look at the reciprocal laws for the states driving down there, but not sure I understand the federal transportation laws. Can I drive from Indiana through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and into Florida with my gun on me? Or does it have to be in the trunk until I get there? Thanks for the help and loving the forums.

Another good resource is: Handgunlaw.us

Provided you are an Indiana resident and have an Indiana LTCH, you can make it from Indiana to Florida and carry on your person or "available" in your car the entire way - mostly.

Along the usual routes from Indiana to Florida some places to be aware of are:

1) If you take I74 to I275 around Cincinnati you are in Ohio for a few miles. Your IN LTCH is NOT valid in OH. So either avoid OH or follow their laws for unlicensed transport.

2) SC was noted above but SC is not really "on the way" from IN to FL.

3) All the other states between IN and FL recognize your IN resident LTCH and you can carry there. Just check on the somewhat differing rules regarding LE notification, specifics of where you can't carry, whether "no guns" signs carry force of law or not.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Ironically enough, we have been in FL for the past 11 days with shows here in Orlando. We leave tomorrow. As mentioned above, anytime you travel it is a good idea to check out Handgunlaw.us or similar site.

Top Bottom