• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My DCLW was worth it's weight in gold when I still used it professionally. I still use it for coyote hunting and it's a huge help getting over some of the tall grasses bordering the fields.

IMG_9441.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

Last edited:

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    As I was laying in the prone, or at least attempting to this firearms deer season, I was wondering the same thing about the use of a tripod. As I am NOT a designated hitter for any department, I too am curious to the alternatives to a DCLW $800 tripod rig.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They couldnt have found an unglier guy to model that system.

I won the "DCLW Ugly Mug Contest"!

In all fairness, I bought mine when they were half the cost they are now. I'd have trouble coughing up $800 for one. If you already have a decent camera tripod, the Hog Saddle or Pig Saddle are more affordable options and are in pretty wide use with our military.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I use a Hog Saddle mounted on a Manfrotto 055 Carbon Fiber with a Manfrotto Ball Head. I honestly couldn't be any happier with it. Killed 2 nice bucks with it over the summer that were about 500 meters out, while shooting from the standing position. During our Crop Depravation permits, shooting from the prone position is pretty much impossible in a bean field, and this thing is a god send. Plus, it's nice not having to mount a rail section on the rifle to use it.

It's pretty impressive how low you can get this thing to drop down too, very easy to shoot prone.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If I remember right you got that set up directly from Cheese back during the Snipers Hide heydays. Glad to see it's lasted.

I looked at the manfrotto above in both aluminum and cf as well as the RRS set ups RRS - TQC-14: Quick-Column Series 1 Tripod

For me I'd like a load capacity of 20# at minimum so the 055 would work fine.
    In addition, I've also looked at the HOG but would prefer a direct connect method if one is sturdy enough to hold my rig.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Are the rifles resting on this rig, or attached to it in some way?

Both

In Phyl's set up the tripod mount clamps to a pic rail section at the bottom of the FF tube.

With a hog set up such as Trader's the rifle is placed into the saddle and then clamped into it with lateral tension via it's clamp

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Copy / pasted from the hog saddle site:

Q: Is a Picatinny Rail attaching rest just as effective as a Hog Saddle?

A: No, and here are three reasons why.

A Picatinny Rail rest limits your capabilities to only a rifle with rails. The Hog Saddle will universally secure to any rifle with or without picatinny rails. A tripod rest shouldn’t dictate to the user which rifle is appropriate to employ.

A Picatinny Rail rest creates a metal-on-metal contact to the rifle and rest. This metal-on-metal contact sends rifle recoil straight to the tripod causing the rifle to erratically hop off target. The Hog Saddle’s specially engineered pads absorb rifle recoil and eliminate tripod hop, facilitating rapid follow up shots.
    The Hog Saddle does not need to be used with a tripod head. This gives the user the option to reduce even more weight and streamline their tripod kit. Not incorporating a tripod head reduces cost to Department and Team purchases.

I can attest to the second point about the rifle staying put after a shot. For me, it's a huge advantage and can buy you a nice followup shot. Otherwise, something like the mount that Larue makes would be awesome and save a lot of weight. I also really like the Magpul M-Lok Manfrotto RC-2 mount. I recently played with one in Elmores, and was very impressed with it. As far as mounting the hog saddle directly to the tripod and bypassing the ball head, I don't much care for it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think they're stretching a bit with those but I wouldn't expect different from a manufacturer. Having used both I wouldn't give up my DCLW for a Hog/Pig saddle. Alamo made a clamp version that I had for a year before they made the picatinny version and I've never regretted the upgrade. That said, my uses at the time likely differed from the average user a bit.

Top Bottom