• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Anybody have any experience with tritium night sights on an AR-15? I just picked up a Colt 6520 (A2 sights), and wondered if night sights would be effective on a rifle platform. I've only had tritium night sights on a pistol, and love them.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

Trijicon AR-15/M-16 Style Rifles Night Sight Set | Overstock.com

The 6520 has a non-detachable carry handle, and I want to keep it lightweight and handy, so I'm thinking the night sights would add functionality for less cost and weight than a red dot optic with a handle mount. This is just a SHTF rifle, and won't see heavy use unless the dead rise. I intend this rifle for close to medium range, probably nothing over 100 yards.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The front sight might be advantageous, but I'd skip the rear sight. The peep is so close to the eye that it fades out ("ghost ring," remember?), so you won't be able to see the rear tritium dots. When I played with a set on one of my guns, the rear was just a greenish haze, and I actually found it more distracting than useful. Still have the front sight installed, though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would agree with shooter521. We have a lot of these sights installed on our patrol rifles and in my opinion they are a total waste. If there is enough light to properly identify your target you won't see the green dot on the front sight. The rear dots disappear unless you are looking for them and if you are looking for them you're not going to hit what you're aiming at.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    There was a set on an AR that I bought used, FTF and I have never wanted another set nor ever bought a set. $$ better spent on ammo and training.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, guys! Sounds like I'd be better off investing in a good light for the handguard and spending the rest on ammo. :)

Top Bottom