• ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    This thread should end.

Wow. I'm trying to decide if it's the best or worst thread ever. It made me laugh. I'm sure some cried. It has even survived multiple thread jacks. I even survived not posting in it, until now. But.....

...... yeah. It's definitely time for it to end. It seems like there is only one direction for it to go from here and it is very likely near the ban hammer.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Wow. I'm trying to decide if it's the best or worst thread ever. It made me laugh. I'm sure some cried. It has even survived multiple thread jacks. I even survived not posting in it, until now. But.....

...... yeah. It's definitely time for it to end. It seems like there is only one direction for it to go from here and it is very likely near the ban hammer.
    phylodog is just having some fun with everybody. but its all for one and one for all hes a a true mousketeer.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I see both sides. Yes, private industry should be able to support itself. OTOH, the railroads not only have to maintain their "fleet", they also have to maintain their "roads". Trucks use roads paid for by taxpayers.

Please be advised that trucks are taxed on registration, road use (per mile), and on fuel, in addition to the FET charged on new trucks and trailers at the time of sale which is competitive with the cost of an average new car. This is similar in nature to comparing the taxes that Bill Gates and Donald Trump pay with a minimum wage earner. I would also point out that simply paying these taxes is both expensive and irritating given the complexity of the task.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    This is why we need separate interstate lanes. Let the big trucks have their lanes and the smaller vehicles have their lanes. Put up barrier medians and hopefully that will protect everyone. Of course it would be even better to ship via train, but there is too much money for the automakers, road construction firms, oil companies, and associated unions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is why we need separate interstate lanes. Let the big trucks have their lanes and the smaller vehicles have their lanes. Put up barrier medians and hopefully that will protect everyone. Of course it would be even better to ship via train, but there is too much money for the automakers, road construction firms, oil companies, and associated unions.

You have to get the goods from the trains to the stores. The increase in truck traffic is mainly from the on line order and ship world we now live in. These goods come from all over the place Via computer orders to warehousing facility's that load up the goods and ship it across the nation. I work in and around these facility's all the time. You hit the enter key, the order is processed, the money is electronically moved from your account and the pieces you desire are loaded into a truck and shipped your way. Lines of big rigs doing this work.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I see both sides. Yes, private industry should be able to support itself. OTOH, the railroads not only have to maintain their "fleet", they also have to maintain their "roads". Trucks use roads paid for by taxpayers.

I don't mean to be rude...it may just come naturally...But what an uninformed or completely ignorant statement. As has already been replied in response to your statement. Trucks pay far more in taxes.

Cars on the other hand are used every day for commercial purposes. State Farm emergency assistance vehicle, the guy with a pressure washer in his truck, half the people using uSHip and hauling gear across the country, most buy here/pay here lots leaving the auction while towing a vehicle back to their lot. They are all using the taxpayers roads for commercial purposes and they are NOT paying any additional excise tax.

P.S. By the way your argument of tracks being maintained by the railroads is again misinformed or ignorant. Amtrak is taxpayer subsidized.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would certainly hope that 18 wheelers pay more in road use taxes. They are certainly a lot harder on roads and bridges than passenger cars and motorcycles. One five-axle, 80,000-pound truck does the same amount of damage to the pavement as your car — if you made the same trip 10,000 times. The big semis and overweight trucks make up a fairly small percentage of the total vehicles on the road, but they consume the road faster than the family car because of their extreme weight and the physical forces they impose. These trucks are especially hard on bridges. No number of axles can reduce the enormous stress they impose on bridges, the most expensive and most at-risk elements of our state’s highway system.

The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that trucks weighing more than 100,000 pounds pay for only 40 percent of the damage they cause to our roads. Who is paying the other 60 percent? You and me. This is a massive, unrecognized public subsidy of a handful of trucking companies and shippers.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Hate to break the news to you, but there's not enough trains to handle 20% of the freight moved by trucks. Nothing gets made, moved or sold if there is not a truck involved.

I would certainly hope that 18 wheelers pay more in road use taxes. They are certainly a lot harder on roads and bridges than passenger cars and motorcycles. One five-axle, 80,000-pound truck does the same amount of damage to the pavement as your car — if you made the same trip 10,000 times. The big semis and overweight trucks make up a fairly small percentage of the total vehicles on the road, but they consume the road faster than the family car because of their extreme weight and the physical forces they impose. These trucks are especially hard on bridges. No number of axles can reduce the enormous stress they impose on bridges, the most expensive and most at-risk elements of our state’s highway system.

The biggest threat to road quality and lifetime is weather and poor construction.

And I want to know where all these 100,000 pound behemoths are and where they are at, 80,000 pound limit, anything more than that,requires permits that I know of.

Now for your little speculation on bridges, truck traffic is not what the culprit is.

The bridges are built to handle the weight, the problem arises from these factors.

Weather
    Improper construction
    Poor steel quality

But the biggest single factor with bridges is that they are built to last a certain amount of years and each and every bridge is being used beyond what was the recommended lifetime for it was.

The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that trucks weighing more than 100,000 pounds pay for only 40 percent of the damage they cause to our roads. Who is paying the other 60 percent? You and me. This is a massive, unrecognized public subsidy of a handful of trucking companies and shippers.

So this massive, unrecognized public subsidy, last time I checked most of the monies that involve come from fuel tax, fees ect... ect...

Just my company alone pays more in fuel tax in one week for the truck I drive than the average car driver will in 4-6 months.

The USDOT is a government number pusher, if you really want to know why roads are why they are, ask where all the fuel tax money that is collected is going, because it's not all going to fund upkeep and reconstruction.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good thing that their is enforcement of weight restrictions or I would think that there would be many more overweight trucks tearing up our highways and roads. I'm guessing that the reason the railroads aren't more active in hauling stuff is because the Teamsters Union and Trucking Lobby are more powerful than the railroad counterparts. Isn't it a fact that trains can haul cargo much cheaper than trucks? The trains are a lot easier on the highways and bridges, too!:D But I digress, the OP was talking about unsafe driving habits and attitudes of some truck drivers, that present a danger to the traveling public.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I like bacon

:stickpoke: :D

bacon.gif

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Good thing that their is enforcement of weight restrictions or I would think that there would be many more overweight trucks tearing up our highways and roads. I'm guessing that the reason the railroads aren't more active in hauling stuff is because the Teamsters Union and Trucking Lobby are more powerful than the railroad counterparts. Isn't it a fact that trains can haul cargo much cheaper than trucks? The trains are a lot easier on the highways and bridges, too!:D But I digress, the OP was talking about unsafe driving habits and attitudes of some truck drivers, that present a danger to the traveling public.

the primary reason that this happened is that the railroads came down with a huge case of hubris and gave terrible service (think perishable cargoes being lost for weeks) for decades thinking they were indispensable. After trucks took over their territory, it was hard to take back because the truck delivers to your door, not to the rail yard, and then you have to arrange transportation the rest of the way. Even now, while the railroad is technically more efficient, the rates are just competitive (sometimes ahead, sometimes behind, even with the greater technical efficiency) with trucking, even considering that the RRs have been more heavily subsidized than they had been in years past since Clinton made a big albeit not highly publicized effort to 'pick the winner' with the RR over the truck. No help from the Teamsters or the trucking industry was needed--the railroads are their own worst enemy. Tearing up the roads is pretty much an even swap. On the one hand, the trucks do most of the damage, but at the same time, they do most of the paying for the roads. The roads would last longer without the trucks, but then the construction and maintenance costs would come from direct taxation. Also, we can talk about unsafe truck drivers (with merit to the argument) but you must also address unsafe automobile drivers, including those who deliberately try to cause accidents. Hell, a few years back, there was a law firm that ran a commercial basically giving instruction on how to manufacture a collision viable for a lawsuit.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Something definitely failed but I'm not convinced it was the thread.

You and this thread have failed miserably. This has been tried before right here on INGO https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/133415-semi_driver_mangles_school_buses.html :noway::noway:

serpicostraight is an ass and should be banned, he brings nothing of value to this site. NOTHING. That's what you should have made this thread about, not his chosen profession.

I know his kind, he is the guy in the back of the truck stop looking for lot lizards EVERY NIGHT. He's the guy who tries to back into the easiest spot 20 times before giving up and parking next the scales. Then he goes into the truck stop and brags about how good of a driver he is. He probably works for Swift or Schneider because nobody else will hire him. I'm even willing to bet his wife left him for another woman. Probably a woman cop. That would explain a lot now wouldn't it?

Now Phylodog, I'm not sure if you've ever read any of my posts or not. I have spent time defending cops when they were right and bashing the ones who were wrong. Here is the last cop thread I have posted in https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cussion/200464-another_punk_with_a_badge.html I see you even posted in there. As far as I know only 1 truck driver was bashing cops there and 1 truck driver was defending cops. When will you look into the professions of everyone else and bash them?:popcorn:

Now Phylodog is on the same worthless list as serpicostraight.

Interestingly enough I logged in a week ago to look into become an advertiser on this site and came across this thread first. I'm glad I did, I wouldn't want to spend my money not only supporting this site but advertising on it also. Sucks for INGO that those 2 morons are making this site lose money now.

Now for everyone wanting to see a shooter. Here's your chance, ban me PLEASE so I wont even be tempted to come back. I can start spewing off 4 letter words if you need me to. One way or another you will have to ban me and while your at it ban my IP I will get my gun news from somewhere else.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Now for everyone wanting to see a shooter. Here's your chance, ban me PLEASE so I wont even be tempted to come back. I can start spewing off 4 letter words if you need me to.

Done. Please come back after some cooling off time.

As for everyone else-- we can't control your opinions, but we can control the way in which you share them on this board. Do so in a polite and civil way or you too will be asked to take some time off.

:mods:

Top Bottom