• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't know.....I wouldn't count out the possibility of a global economic collapse with a deflationary effect....'course that could also cause runaway inflation, at least initially, so it's kind of a wait and see game.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That would raise the price of all of the trucks.
    Unfortunately and regrettably true, which is why Tjbb and I will not get our wish. I did forget the Bose/DVD included the sun roof, it was a sun and sound package.

Example, many economists I read stated that the unbundling of cable TV would cost more in the long run for apples to apples for most families. I was paying $300 a month for TV, internet, Prime, and Netflix. I now pay under $100 for internet, Prime, and Netflix, but there is a lot I do not get to see. If I added just what I used to watch I end up near that number and I still do not have multiple DVR’s, I had to upgrade some of the TV’s to streaming and get antennas for them for local channels. At the end of the day do I really save that much?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I don't know.....I wouldn't count out the possibility of a global economic collapse with a deflationary effect....'course that could also cause runaway inflation, at least initially, so it's kind of a wait and see game.

I think the big trucks are mainly an American market thing, I don’t believe they are anywhere near as popular (or even available) in Europe.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is being discussed. How long can five year old trucks bring 80%-90% of original cost when the historical rate is about 40%?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think the big trucks are mainly an American market thing, I don’t believe they are anywhere near as popular (or even available) in Europe.
    The key is economy-wide deflation.

Generally, that happens when people don't have any money to spend. The effect on trucks would just be that as on the rest of the economy. Prices dropped on average 7% yearly from 1930-1933.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I would have thought it would have corrected by now....but then again, I couldn't imagine just how global govt. interference with manufacturing could be.
    So did I my friend. I want a five year Laramie RAM 2500 diesel and they may have come down $3000k or so, but not the $20,000 reduction I want to see. I think them worth about $30,000-$35,000 with 100,000k miles and they seem to be selling $45,000-$50,000…

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The key is economy-wide deflation.

Generally, that happens when people don't have any money to spend. The effect on trucks would just be that as on the rest of the economy. Prices dropped on average 7% yearly from 1930-1933.

Off topic but used motorcycle prices have been dropping lately.
    Could be a sign spending is drying up.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Off topic but used motorcycle prices have been dropping lately.
    Could be a sign spending is drying up.
    In the last few years I have found a couple of unique bellwethers of the economy, subprime auto loan default rates, and shipping container costs, both seem to react before other indicators. They also are logical to me because the weakest among us are the borrowers of subprime auto loans so likely the first affected by changes and the containers are ordered by smart companies that are balancing how much stuff to import while wanting to sell all they can and make all they can but not get stuck with the crap.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So did I my friend. I want a five year Laramie RAM 2500 diesel and they may have come down $3000k or so, but not the $20,000 reduction I want to see. I think them worth about $30,000-$35,000 with 100,000k miles and they seem to be selling $45,000-$50,000…

Unfortunately that's still a ways off, if it ever happens...

It's no longer what those trucks sold for new. Its what they are selling for new now.

MSRPs have increased substantially in the past few years, in turn raising the price of their newly new counterparts...

The used trucks priced even closer to normal are gone within hours of hitting the market...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The canary in the coal mine is boats, RVs and motorcycles.
    Typically yes, but now it's not a normal time....

New boat pricing is INSANE which makes clean, used boats a hell of a deal. The only problem now is lending is drying up.

I did sell my boat last summer for 30% more than I paid for it... three years earlier...

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I had a 4wd '05 ext cab Silverado with leather. It wasn't direct injection and didn't have that stop/start crap. I miss that truck, so much so that I've been looking for a good used one. I feel like that was the last era before a more severe ideology of planned obsolescence came to exist.
    My personal opinion is that the GMT800 (99ish-2006) generation of GM trucks was the best mix of comfort, technology, reliability and quality. I have owned 3 and still have 2 of them.

I've owned the prior GMT400 generation as well as a more modern generation. The older stuff left some things to be desired in terms of performance and creature comforts/tech. The newer stuff is hard to work on, not as well built, and the nanny features drive me nuts.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Alot of that cost is to cover government mandated safety and emissions control's.
    I still blame Obama for the outrageous truck prices.
    He artificially inflated the entire used vehicle market with the "Cash for Clunkers" fiasco.
    Ostensibly done in the name of climate change and fuel efficiency standards, they wiped out a decade of used cars which caused the remaining stock to" necessarily skyrocket" along with energy prices.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I still blame Obama for the outrageous truck prices.
    He artificially inflated the entire used vehicle market with the "Cash for Clunkers" fiasco.
    Ostensibly done in the name of climate change and fuel efficiency standards, they wiped out a decade of used cars which caused the remaining stock to" necessarily skyrocket" along with energy prices.
    And the dumbmasses say, that’s crazy, it was for the environment and that is tin foil hat territory right there. It really was just another front in the attack on freedom of movemennt…

Top Bottom