• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Essentially the message being sent by this woman having her crown stripped from her is: "conservative views BAD!" which could have a chilling effect on the future free expression of such views by other people.

Yep, Don't be honest, be liberal... it's safe that way..

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Essentially the message being sent by this woman having her crown stripped from her is: "conservative views BAD!" which could have a chilling effect on the future free expression of such views by other people.

Do Miss America's political views really hold that much weight? Dear Lord surely NOT! :runaway: I've always gotten the impression that these women aren't exactly at the top of the IQ charts and that no one really listened to them anyway.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    She's probably better off with Trump and the Miss USA millstone off her neck. I read she's co-anchored the morning Fox News shows a couple of times, been on some other talk shows, and has done a number of appearances. If she can stay away from the lure of Hollywood, she should do all right on her own.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I disagree. From what little I know of the Miss [insert noun here] pageants, contestants pretty much sign a contract that says they will be a walking billboard for the parent organization, which appears to be a private-sector business. The owner, Trump in this case, has decided he didn't like his billboard. It really doesn't matter why. Did you feel this kind of outrage when Walmart decided not to sell CDs with explicit lyrics? Or when Colt discontinued the Python (OK, maybe then. But face it, we aren't having this debate because you like Prejean, you just like that she shares your values.) If there is any message sent by her dismissal, it is that business owners can do whatever they think is best for their organization.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I disagree. From what little I know of the Miss [insert noun here] pageants, contestants pretty much sign a contract that says they will be a walking billboard for the parent organization, which appears to be a private-sector business. The owner, Trump in this case, has decided he didn't like his billboard. It really doesn't matter why. Did you feel this kind of outrage when Walmart decided not to sell CDs with explicit lyrics? Or when Colt discontinued the Python (OK, maybe then. But face it, we aren't having this debate because you like Prejean, you just like that she shares your values.) If there is any message sent by her dismissal, it is that business owners can do whatever they think is best for their organization.

I don't think it was simply a case of Trump not liking her opinions on gay marriage. It appears that she was in breach of her contract (not showing up to scheduled functions, but instead, attending functions that were not approved by the pageant). Trump gave her a chance to straighten up, she failed to do so, so he finally fired her. I didn't get the impression at all that it was because of her views. It appears that's what SHE is trying to make people believe though... Kind of like her own version of the race card. You know "they don't like me because of xyz" kind of thing.

I just don't understand the point of the whole Miss Noun thing at all.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    @ Jennybird: Yes, I read that part. There was certainly a lot of highly politicized BS flying at the lower levels of the orgainzation, but it does seem that the final decision was breach of contract, pure and simple.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hot girl wins stupid crown. Hot girl has fun. Hot girl loses crown. Next hottest girl takes crown. Hot girl goes home.

There's my cliff notes.

Now didn't someone say something about range time? I need to sight in my 5.56. I also need to learn to use the shoulder thing that goes up so I can spray fire from the hip....

:D :patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I thought we were going shooting? What's this about some chick being discriminated against in a discriminatory contest? :dunno: I thought she lost her second chance because of getting drunk? Who cares. I need a spotter. Is it Saturday yet? I also have some wolf I need to get rid of. The fun way. :D

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    There seems to be awhole lot of "rationalizations" in this thread, almost seemingly in favor of the out-right discrimination against this woman simply because she expressed a conservative point of view.

I don't believe that's what I said. Did I? I just don't understand why this kind of silliness is "news worthy". Was hoping for an explanation for that. Prolly never get one.

Top Bottom