Trying to talk my son into adding a 10/22 to his collection.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    133-1022.jpg

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Reminds me I still need to pickup a 10/22. I have mags sitting here from Sandy Hook era. Plenty of other .22 rifles, but still wanting to add one eventually.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just my personal opinion and all of that, but I'd tell your son he's on the odd side for not wanting a 10/22 (or at least a few .22s in general). If you forced me to pick 2 guns from my collection to live with for the rest of my life, and only those 2, it would be my 10/22 and 22/45. Both are a hoot to shoot, both are tack drivers that could certainly be used for defense and (some) game if I really had to, and 10,000 rounds of .22LR takes up about 2 shoe boxes of space.

My 22/45 was the second gun I ever bought, right behind my first .45. I had to have something that I could afford to shoot! :)

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I've owned at least 4 different 10/22's and sold or traded them all. I can't make myself like them. I have several Marlin 22 rifles and Ruger 22 handguns, and enjoy them all, but can't say I disagree with your son for not wanting a 10/22.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IN50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with other posts. The .22 is a great trainer. I like having one set up the same as the larger calibers. There are lots of great bolt action .22 rifles out there. Find one similar to the planned hunting rifle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I tried to find a 10/22 for him for Christmas. Had no luck. Everything is sold out. So I loaded him up 50rds of 338 Lapua Magnum for his Christmas gift. Along with 150rds of 45 Colt 250gr RNFP. He happily accepted them with a big smile on his face. Still looking for a 22lr rifle for him. Eventually things will get caught up I hope.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I started out shooting my grandfathers' Western Auto .22 semi-auto (yes, I'm that old). And when I graduated high school, I was given a Savage 6A .22 "gill rifle" which I still have to this day. I remember having to have my older friends buy my ammo for me at that time since it could also be used in a handgun and y7ou had to be 21 to buy handgun ammo.

Time has moved on and my involvement in firearms continued to grow. It wasn't long before I moved away from the puny .22 caliber and on to bigger and better things. Or so I thought. As the years rolled, by I played with bigger guns and bigger calibers. But there was, and still is, something about shooting a .22 that brings back memories of my grandfather, teaching my son to shoot and eventually my grandson to shoot. Ammo cost is certainly a factor (I can buy my own now, thank you), but shooting all day for under $20.00 is a consideration these days.

There are a number of excellent .22s out there, both in rifles and handguns. I do own a 10/22 and a few handguns in that caliber and love playing with them. If things go South, any of them will easily bring small game to the pot. But more importantly, a .22 rifle or handgun can help to build a solid bond between a father and son. That dividend alone is worth the investment. And if the rifle is a gift from you to your son, all the better. One day he say say "yeah. that's the rifle your grandfather gave me all those years ago. Play your cards right and it could be yours one day."

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Why didn't you raise him right?........ sorry, just buy him one, then he'll see the need....
    He cut his teeth on a Davy cricket. And then he used my 10/22 before he went to the larger calibers. He just doesn't see a need to have one. Smallest he has is 7.62x39 then 30-06, and finally a 338 Lapua Magnum.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    He cut his teeth on a Davy cricket. And then he used my 10/22 before he went to the larger calibers. He just doesn't see a need to have one. Smallest he has is 7.62x39 then 30-06, and finally a 338 Lapua Magnum.
    There is that word "need" again. What does "need" have to do with having a(many) 22s? :):

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    .22 LR is the choice of beginners and masters.

Those in between seem to believe otherwise.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It took me a long time to to drink the 10/22 Koolaid. (I had several other .22LR rifles by then)

I was happy when I did, but everyone needs to come around on their own time.

I still haven't drank the Glock or AR Koolaid.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It took me a long time to to drink the 10/22 Koolaid. (I had several other .22LR rifles by then)

I was happy when I did, but everyone needs to come around on their own time.

I still haven't drank the Glock or AR Koolaid.
    I love 22s. I do not like the 10/22. I have four 22 rifles, a Savage FVSR bolt, a M&P 15/22, a Henry lever, and a Cricket for little kids. The Savage is my favorite by far at this point.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What is so special about the Ruger 10/22?

Maybe the fact that you can spend five times what you paid for the base rifle on customizing it. Maybe because you can customize it with your favorite stock, giving it a one of a kind look. Maybe because there are many different barrel styles and looks. Maybe because you can customize it to the point that you don't want to change it, so you buy another to customize it in another direction?

Or that regardless as to the caliber it shoots, it is just such a fun shooter that with a nice scope on the base model you can have a field day hitting steel targets at 100 yards!

Top Bottom