• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Hey all. Just started reloading and I dont have a tumbler yet. So far have just been loading .308 and cleaning cases by hand. But was finally able to source SPP so I can start mass producing .40 and 9mm. What are the pros and cons of each type of case cleaning device. Vibration or rotary tumbler or go ultrasonic? Harbor Freight has a rotary 'rock' tumbler on sale for $40 this month. I just need some direction.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Vibration is the way to go. Rock tumblers are ok, but some complain they are tough on the cases. Ultra-sonic is the cleanest...but that is overkill IMO in relation to what you do and the cost involved. Vibration with cob media is the way I roll.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I agree with the above: Vibratory case cleaners with either corn cob or walnut media is perfectly sufficient. If you like things to be very clean, you might want to go with ultra-sonic or a wet solution with stainless steel pins. For my money, a simple Lyman tumbler gets the job done.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Profire in Indy has one for around $50 or so. Frankfort Arsnel or something. I bought one of those and it works well. Keeps the money local also.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If I was starting over, I would look into the latest and greatest, wet tumbling with stainless steel media. It really is overkill at the end of the day, but if you want the prettiest bras at the range, then that is the way to go.

I use a vibratory tumbler with walnut, then run em through corn cob to de-lube and get em shiny after processing.

It is all about your budget and what you want to accomplish. Any of the options you listed work.

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    I made one out of our old printer after we upgraded. Just take all the plastic off and you'll be left w/ two rollers that you set a coffee can of media/brass on. It's awesome if you have an old printer that's not worth anything because its free and it does a really good job being a rotary.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I made one out of our old printer after we upgraded. Just take all the plastic off and you'll be left w/ two rollers that you set a coffee can of media/brass on. It's awesome if you have an old printer that's not worth anything because its free and it does a really good job being a rotary.

This requires pictures!!!!

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I use a Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ case tumbler. Midway sells them for $37.99.

on the top shelf in the picture. I have three hoppers for it (one is a lyman I think). I put the tumbler down on the bench , pour the brass in, pour the media in and let her go for hours. It's quiet and gets them very clean.

When they are done, I take one of the other hoppers and put a Lyman shifter on top of it (shown below in the picture). Then I pour the contents of the full hopper into the shifter and pan for gold and all the media drops into the lower hopper. Then I pour the media into one of the blue Folgers cans sitting on the shelf to the right in the picture above for storage.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I use a Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ case tumbler. Midway sells them for $37.99.

on the top shelf in the picture. I have three hoppers for it (one is a lyman I think). I put the tumbler down on the bench , pour the brass in, pour the media in and let her go for hours. It's quiet and gets them very clean.

When they are done, I take one of the other hoppers and put a Lyman shifter on top of it (shown below in the picture). Then I pour the contents of the full hopper into the shifter and pan for gold and all the media drops into the lower hopper. Then I pour the media into one of the blue Folgers cans sitting on the shelf to the right in the picture above for storage.
    This, but I only have one tub :)

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    here she be :)

ivzcdy.jpg
    [/IMG]
    This requires pictures!!!!

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I also use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler, that I got used from another member for very cheap. I have used it for 2 years now and it is still works great.

Dave

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell

HA! look at that. Some people are super creative. I admire that kind of ingenuity.

Does it work pretty well?

what happens if you get on your computer and hit print? can you make it turn on? It looks like a ITD (improvised tumbling device)

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I am going to buy one of the Frankford Arsenal ones listed above. Thanks everyone for their input. I also got a used ultrasonic jewelry cleaner on the cheap. Ran a few .308 cases through it and the look brand new. But it would take forever to clean thousands of pistol brass.

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    Yeah it works great! I wired in a toggle switch, which was super easy. It's cool because you can run just about any jar or coffee can. I run it for 1-2 hours w/ walnut media, dump it into a strainer, give it a shake any your left w/ clean brass.

I should've kept the USB hookup and figured out how may pages I would have to 'print' to make it run for an hour. Just hit print and walk away, when its done it automatically shuts off. Good idea mainjet!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I like the repurposed Mt Dew 12-pack with shotshell wads and what I suspect once held potato salad, now used to store 9mm brass? That's adding reloading to the Three R's! :)

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I like the repurposed Mt Dew 12-pack with shotshell wads and what I suspect once held potato salad, now used to store 9mm brass? That's adding reloading to the Three R's! :)

I do much the same thing. I use the Folgers plastic coffee jugs under my bench to store clean or dirty brass of each caliber. They hold a lot of brass and they are always available at work as we go through a lot of coffee between the coffee maker in my office, the regular office coffee maker and the two coffee makers in the plant.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom