• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    Ok I have everything I need to start reloading except a tumlber. Can you guys give your :twocents: the subject. I will reloading 9mm, .38/.357, and .45. Are the ultra sonic cleaners better?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Ultra Sonic Cleaners will clean the inside and outside of the brass unlike a vibratory tumbler. They are also much more expensive for the same amount of size.

I use a Lyman 1200 Pro, Turbo 1200 PRO Sifter Case Tumbler 110 Volt, with the Lyman treated walnut media. It works great for the price. My brass is always very shiny with minimal effort on my part. The Flitz polish helps a lot too.

If I had the money to throw around to where it wasn't a big issue, I'd invest in an Ultra Sonic Cleaner because you can clean much more than just brass in one. However I don't have the money to get one as big as I'd like.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Ultra Sonics are nice but expensive.

I use the Lyman Pro Turbo 2000, works great, I use treated walnut and a table spoon of 90% rubbing alcohol, I get cases that look almost as good as those out of the ultra sonics. Mine does a decent job at cleaning the insides of pistol shell cases, I usually just take some time and wipe them out with a q-tip and some more rubbing alcohol, let them dry and then load. For 70 bucks(I paid 55 for the tumbler and 14.99 for the media), it sure beats the 200 dollar price tag of an ultra sonic.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Ive seen some Ultra Sonic CLeaners for $40-50. Are they no good?
    sounds like you have seen some (boxes you soak ammo / gun parts) in. would never trust an ultrasonic that cheap.. the 70-90 dollar hornady ones are fine, but capacity is a joke..

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I have a cheaper one from amazon. I use lizard bedding with a cap of
    NuFinish. $30 for tumbler, $10 for media, $5 for wax(pretty shine) and it has worked flawlessly thus far.

Brand was Frankford Arsenal I think? I think the price has gone up a bit though.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I like the big Dillon model, it holds alot and mine has lasted many years. I had a Lyman Turbo and the motor burned out after a few years.

BigRiggs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Check HarborFreight.com for sonic cleaners (same one a Lyman) for less than $80. But I still use the tumbler with corn cob and Flitz for shine.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lyman PRO 2500 here. Powerful, huge capacity, (1000 .38 cases) does a good job. I also have a regular sized Hornady M-2 unit. smaller capacity, (400 .38 cases) The Hornady is better built and has lasted a long time.

One thing to consider, a big capacity tumbler also needs a big capacity media seperator, or you will have to fool around dumping it a little at a time.

Top Bottom