• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Oh yeah also I just got a universal hands free windshield mount called GripGo from the TV commercials. It works really well and makes it infinitely better when I can look at the map while getting directions.

I've also started playing around with dash cam apps since my phone is right there anyway. Only thing is that while running Pandora, giving directions through iMaps, capturing video with the dashcam app and charging via USB on a black phone in a hot car on a sunny day I've gotten multiple temperature warnings. But now if some jerk pulls out in front of me it's on camera!

And another random piece of advice if you are using a new iDevice with the lightning connector don't bother with the cheap off brand lightning cables. As soon as I updated the iOS the cables wouldn't work. I had to bite the bullet and spring for two from Apple.

Also the one other feature I use on my stereo is a detachable faceplate. If I'm in a sketchy part of town I take the faceplate off and either throw it in the glovebox or take it with me. Without the faceplate the unit is worthless so criminals walking past just go on to the next easy target.

I like the idea of going to the wall in best buy. Something else you could play around win is how easy is it to change the time or other features you'll regularly change? For me I set the bass level and other stuff when I bought it and haven't changed it since. But I change the time twice a year for DST and another time or two if it loses time. Could change my mind between two similar models. But then as I said go to Crutchfield and buy it from them you will not regret it!

I have never tried the cassette deck adapter but you'll never have the same kind of functionality with it. Thank God you were not convinced to use an fm transmitter! Tried three of them and each was a bigger POS than the last! Static so bad you could barely tell what song was playing on any frequency.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, if you DO have an MP3 player or musical capable smart phone with a headphone jack you're in luck. Head on out to your local Radio Shack or preferred audio place and get a cassette deck converter. It's a cassette with a small audio jack on a wire. You put the cassette in the slot, hit play and plug your player in to the jack. I used to have to do this with my old 4-Runner and it worked really well. It's also a cheap fix. Otherwise pop into Ovation and see what they've got in your price range.

This is what I do--works like a champ.

I've tried the FM-transmitters and have been disappointed. Maybe they're better now--dunno.

ETA: (Never mind...should have read the whole thread before posting.)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is what I do--works like a champ.

I've tried the FM-transmitters and have been disappointed. Maybe they're better now--dunno.

ETA: (Never mind...should have read the whole thread before posting.)

FM transmitters are junk. The airwaves are so congested that it's extremely difficult to find an open frequency that isn't getting stomped on by all the other channels around it. The cassette adapter is acceptable if you have no other option, but if you're buying a new head unit, why would you get one with a cassette player? For that matter, who would bother getting a CD player anymore? Cassettes and CD's are dead dead dead. Get a head unit from this century that integrates with whatever digital player you already carry in your pocket, and integrates as cleanly as possible.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It appears this model even works with Android devices so that you don't have to use the Aux port, you can use your USB. I had the previous model that only worked with the iPhone/Ipod :( I have an Iphone and a Razr HD. I just keep the iPhone in the car for the stereo.
    Playing music off a Flash drive isn't all that great. You don't have much control over what plays, and some will not accept flash drives with mp3 files. I know the cheaper car stereos will take flash drives.

Last edited:

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    another vote for crutchfield. Ive purchased many items over the years, all good to go. They will have all needed parts/accessories for your make/model of vehicle. The last 2 head units i bought were jvc and pioneer, and were satellite capable. Super easy to buy and install... :yesway:

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Bought a Kenwood receiver and Alpine front speakers for my Tundra from crutchfield. Really like the receiver, the sound difference over stock is impressive. I had room for a double din receiver so I got one of those, really like having full size buttons. Haven't had time yet to put the speakers in yet.

After you look through the website, it would be good to call them and discuss your car install too, if the mr. will be doing it. One of the issues with my Tundra was that speaker depth is an issue, so they were able to tell me how much room I had to work with, and the mounting depth of the speakers I was looking at. So if there are any quirks for your car, they should be able to let you know and help you work around it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    FM transmitters are junk. The airwaves are so congested that it's extremely difficult to find an open frequency that isn't getting stomped on by all the other channels around it. The cassette adapter is acceptable if you have no other option, but if you're buying a new head unit, why would you get one with a cassette player? For that matter, who would bother getting a CD player anymore? Cassettes and CD's are dead dead dead. Get a head unit from this century that integrates with whatever digital player you already carry in your pocket, and integrates as cleanly as possible.

Pretty much my experience with the FM's. Just to be clear on the cassette thing: our newest vehicle is a 2003 and I believe that might have been the last year GM put cassettes in their vehicles and I've got one of them. The adapaters do work pretty well, though.

But yeah, if I were dead set on something new, I definitely wouldn't attempt to try to get a cassette/adapter setup...if you even could.;)

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Didn't see anyone else mention it, but go to Crutchfield.com. You enter your vehicle and they will show you all they have that match. You also get the wiring harness and mounting bracket included with the price. I've dealt with them several times and always have been great.

I have used Crutchfield for a couple older cars, 88 and 93 Thunderbirds. The install kits are great. Plug and play. Check them out.
    Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    +1 Crutchfield. If you actually talk to a rep, by phone or email, you can describe exactly what you have (your car, your devices, etc) and what you want, and they'll make great suggestions. Then they'll back it up with great service, instructions, whatever "junk" you need, etc.

+1 to Scutter's suggestions to stop thinking 1970s -- if you're buying a new system, leave your behind in the past. You can find someone to convert those tube records and 8-tracks to something newer.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom