• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Thanks, I looked for that quaker boy you recommended but Bass Pro didn't have it. So I just went with the cheapest thing. Will getting it wet just temporarily stop it, or will the water soak into the slate and ruin it?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Really? I figured I would need the duck plug.

I also got some shells today. I didn't feel like spending a ton on ammo so I went with plain old led. $7.95 for a 3'' Remington box of 10. I got shot size 6 though. At first I figured that way I would have more pellets on the target, but now I'm worried about penetration with the smaller shot. What side do you guys use? In lead though cause I can't afford Hevy-Shot right now.

You don't need a duck plug.

4's or 6's and aim at the neck just below the base of the head. I reload my own and use regular lead shot.

You should really set up a target at least the size of a realty sign and a tennis ball size target in the middle and shoot it. A lot of shotguns will surprise you how far off true aim they will be when you sit down and try to shoot them like a rifle. You can use news paper to recover for second shots.

I've got some wood shims I set up to shoot at, aiming at the point it divides from one third on top and two thirds on the bottom. It is a fair representation of a stretched turkey neck with a head on top and it shows you what those lead pellets will do and the coverage on a small target. They are really cheap, I had some from Lowes for leveling kitchen cabinets.

I figure it penatrates the thick end of that it's going to break a turkey neck.

a_1292.jpg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks, I looked for that quaker boy you recommended but Bass Pro didn't have it. So I just went with the cheapest thing. Will getting it wet just temporarily stop it, or will the water soak into the slate and ruin it?

No it won't ruin it. It just won't get the noise until it's dry again unless it's intended to be used wet. If it works wet it will say so on the packaging. It's really no big deal. Put it and the strikers in a zip lock baggie it ya think it's likely along with a piece of paper towel to dry it with if it get's wet.

If it's raining and you don't want to head back to the truck then head to the nearest open field area. Some place where the birds can come out in the sun as soon as it comes out. They will come out and shake like a dog and try to dry off in the sun.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    You don't need a duck plug.

4's or 6's and aim at the neck just below the base of the head. I reload my own and use regular lead shot.

You should really set up a target at least the size of a realty sign and a tennis ball size target in the middle and shoot it. A lot of shotguns will surprise you how far off true aim they will be when you sit down and try to shoot them like a rifle. You can use news paper to recover for second shots.

I've got some wood shims I set up to shoot at, aiming at the point it divides from one third on top and two thirds on the bottom. It is a fair representation of a stretched turkey neck with a head on top and it shows you what those lead pellets will do and the coverage on a small target. They are really cheap, I had some from Lowes for leveling kitchen cabinets.

I figure it penatrates the thick end of that it's going to break a turkey neck.

Yea I was planning on testing my patterning out. I will use the shim idea, my dad is an electrician and carpenter so shims are no problem to get at my house.

No it won't ruin it. It just won't get the noise until it's dry again unless it's intended to be used wet. If it works wet it will say so on the packaging. It's really no big deal. Put it and the strikers in a zip lock baggie it ya think it's likely along with a piece of paper towel to dry it with if it get's wet.

If it's raining and you don't want to head back to the truck then head to the nearest open field area. Some place where the birds can come out in the sun as soon as it comes out. They will come out and shake like a dog and try to dry off in the sun.

Sounds good, I was thinking a small tarp or something to cover it. The ziplock bag sounds like a better idea. I think I'll use one big enough so I can call inside it encase it is lightly drizzling or even raining.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Your tape will tell you all this but here's the short version if you don't have one.

1. Roost a bird the night before if you can, with the crow or yelps on the slate and back off quietly. Look around and plan how you will sneak up on him in the morning. If the tree he is in is on a hill, try to get 25-30 yards or even a little more up hill from the bottom of his tree.

2. In the morning sneak in well before day light, be in your spot sitting still an hour before sun rise.

3. Take a nap until the first crow call wakes you up.

4. Now it's show time. Make a few short soft clucks to let him know "she's" here, waking up on the limb.

5. Listen for the other turkeys around around. When you can see the tree he's in, he can see the ground. They don't like to fly down blind. If you've got a mouth call and have learned it, make ONE fly down call and flap your coat or something else if you have it and your in a good position of concealment. Cluck a couple times and may be one yelp now you are on the ground and a hot hen looking.

Up until this point if you get a gobble back, stop calling and get ready to shoot so you don't have to move with the bird in view. You don't want him calling in every other turkey hunter in the woods trying to cut you off either. (Turkey Law, when you hear a gobble and move closer it means he was coming to you and hung up. When some one else does the exact same thing they are a green ass cutting off a bird coming to you because they can't call their own bird.)

Cut and purr is a contented hen scratching for food, Tom better come to me if he wants any. Yelp every once in a while.

Beyond this if you call a lot and they don't come in you were calling too much, if you don't hear him again then and he don't come, you weren't calling enough. It's really just a guess but I'd say it's better to call too much than not enough. Unlike deer, turkeys are ones for idle chatter and noise making when they feel safe, secure, and are feeding. They shut up and run or fly when SHTF in the form of a threat.

Listen to what the real turkeys say and then lie back to them.

Good luck

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Sounds good, I was thinking a small tarp or something to cover it. The ziplock bag sounds like a better idea. I think I'll use one big enough so I can call inside it encase it is lightly drizzling or even raining.

They dont' make one that big. You wouldn't like it any way. Try doing that at home and you'll see what I mean. The bag is good any way because I've had them get moisture on the surface just from being in a coat pocket if you have to walk very far.

A little rough sand paper may come in handy if it doesn't sound like the real turkeys or changes as you use it.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Once again, thanks so much! I will keep your advise in mind while I am out there. My call didn't come with a DVD, but I did buy one separately. It's a beginner dvd, "So...you want to be a turkey hunter" by H.S. Strut. I havn't watched it yet, but I will tomorrow between my classes :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Once again, thanks so much! I will keep your advise in mind while I am out there. My call didn't come with a DVD, but I did buy one separately. It's a beginner dvd, "So...you want to be a turkey hunter" by H.S. Strut. I havn't watched it yet, but I will tomorrow between my classes :D

It'll teach ya more than I could through this key board. You'll like it.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Class let's begin with this.
    Get everything from your head to your toes in the best camouflage you can find. Buy a very expensive camo gun that you have always been wanting. Get up real early in the morning, usually about two to three hours before day break. Go to your favorite spot in the woods and take a nap. When you awake to that sudden noise, don't breath or fart wrong, you'll scare everything that has become acclimated to you. Get out your turkey call kit you just got at Grander Mountain or Ima Dick's. Play with it, try to call in a bird, but after about 30 minutes of nothing but squirrels laughing at you, throw it away. After several hours and many prized bucks walking within spitting distance, and you can't touch them, get up and go back to your truck. Pop open the cooler and have a sliced turkey sandwich and a cold beer. And another. Lay in the back of the truck and take another nice nap. Get up sometime in late afternoon and drive back to the house. Still in all your camo gear and face paint. Tell the wife how many you saw, but just couldn't get that shot you wanted.
    Tell all your buddies how much fun it is. Get them to try it. It's a blast.

That's Turkey Hunting.....
    not that crap you see on the outdoor channel!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We do flydown by taking a ball-cap and smacking it on our leg. once you here a flydown you will know how to do it. If the striker on the slate call has a "gritty" black tip on it it is water-proof. I have included a link to the slat I have that is water proof and the box too so you can see why they are water-proof

Box

Slate

I have told everyone else to go to oldgobbler.com, great group of turkey hunters there. They do bingo contests for calls and stuff all the time.

Oh yeah leave the Hevi-shot at the store just buy lead.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Get everything from your head to your toes in the best camouflage you can find. Buy a very expensive camo gun that you have always been wanting. Get up real early in the morning, usually about two to three hours before day break. Go to your favorite spot in the woods and take a nap. When you awake to that sudden noise, don't breath or fart wrong, you'll scare everything that has become acclimated to you. Get out your turkey call kit you just got at Grander Mountain or Ima Dick's. Play with it, try to call in a bird, but after about 30 minutes of nothing but squirrels laughing at you, throw it away. After several hours and many prized bucks walking within spitting distance, and you can't touch them, get up and go back to your truck. Pop open the cooler and have a sliced turkey sandwich and a cold beer. And another. Lay in the back of the truck and take another nice nap. Get up sometime in late afternoon and drive back to the house. Still in all your camo gear and face paint. Tell the wife how many you saw, but just couldn't get that shot you wanted.

Man am I glad I don't turkey hunt where you do.

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria

Damn!

Tbird hunting isn't easy, but you don't need to spew your non-success hunting (probably one time, if that) negativity.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Yea I know its going to be hard, I'm just trying to do as much homework as I can now, so when I do go in the field I'm somewhat prepared. Nothing is like the experience though! And I don't mind the negative comments, they are a good way of reminding me not every hunt is successful.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just remember that most turkey hunters would respond in the following way...

Unsuccessful trips seasons or even years aside, if asked to give up one I would still give up deer hunting to continue turkey hunting.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Sorry I meant to put a smiley at the end of my sentence...

I do however have a sense of humor... my comment was in jest. :D

I too have told many stories about the bird not close enough to shoot, and taken many a nap in the woods (god knows how many I have missed because of it)...I do not like bologna unless it is cooked and warm.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

17547a_My_bow_kill55-1.jpg

17547a_Turkey_rug_887.jpg

17547a_turkey_struts_2413.jpg

RichardTerryturkeys04.jpg

aMike20057.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

I either shot or was calling all of these birds. None of the live bird pics came from a game camera, they all were taken by me with a hand held Canon Powershot.

Top Bottom