• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toeknee641

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I’m going Turkey hunting for the first time next week and was wondering if you guys had any tips for me. I’m hunting on private party where some have been spotted recently but I know turkeys aren’t always easy to get.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Not easy to get? Farm friend of mine has a feed bunk on top of the hill next to a woods -Fills the bunk up every day, I asked what's that bed spring doing at the end of the bunk. that's for spillage. Come to find out its nothing more than a super large Japanese finger trap. Turkeys come in trying to get the corn from around the spring. --Wala--. Turkey for supper!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Find something to break your outline, like a large tree. You need to be able to see around a bit too. Field edges are good. Get in early and quiet. Call a couple times just after sunup and then take a nap. The toms heard you and know where you are. They will come over eventually. That's my style anyway.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I like being mobile. I use a reaper decoy a lot.

Ask 10 guys, you will get 11 answers. Everyone has their own style, and I'm not saying mine is best, but its adapted to me. I'm not a great caller, but I'm very good at moving through the woods quietly, and efficiently. I hunt in areas with lots of open fields, so reaping fits me. I also have access to a lot of land to move around in. I would not be brave enough to reap on public.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    If you come up empty handed pick up a turkey from the supermarket on your way home. Just remove from packing and store in whatever you would otherwise. Make up tall tale for the family.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    You are going to get plenty of advise about everything from where to sit to the gun and ammo you should use. One piece of advise you’ll get will be how good their eyesight is.. Believe it, they can really see.

My one bit of advise is to cover yourself with deet. It will be the best tip you are going to get that requires no explanation.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    Get there an hour before sunup and try to locate one on the roost. Slip in as close as possible and call just enough to let him know you're there.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I've watched a few videos do you have a specific recommendation?
    I don't recall the one I watched few years back.

Basically, you cut the skin along the sternum, peel the skin back to expose the breasts, then filet them off the breast bone. Continue skinning down the legs, pop the hips out at the joints, cut off the lower legs and you're done.

No plucking, just skinning.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Ruger 10/22 that identifies as a 12 gauge.

No negative comments please, unless you are a hateful bigot.
    I had an AR, a couple .22's, a .270, a .30-30, an AK... missing one or two I think..... that have identified as a shotgun at one time or another. Oh yeah, my .44 Blackhawk!

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    My one bit of advise is to cover yourself with deet. It will be the best tip you are going to get that requires no explanation.
    I like using Sawyer Permethrin spray. I spray it on my boots, pants and shirt. If I am using a ground blind Ill even spray it. They claim it lasts 6 weeks on fabric. It seems to work really well. Ticks are definetly an issue during turkey season.

spfldbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    N FL
    In addition to rest of the advice, should you get one gobbling a little later in the morning (1.5 or so after shooting light), stay put and get ready. They commit hard the later it gets.

Top Bottom