• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Im thinking of a new press. Can someone tell me the difference in a turret and a progresive. I now have a lee pro 1000. Would a turret be good . Im also thinking of a dillon square deal b or hornadys lock and load. Any tips as Im on a tight budget with rising prices on everything. Thanks for the info and any tips.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a Lock n Load but don't generally use it as it was intended. Meaning: I still batch my reloads into seperate stages, but that is because I have a perfection issue, it's gotta be tight tolerance consistently. Having this progressive press does speed things up and the quick change die system helps a lot, but that can be found on other less expensive reloaders.

I have seen the Dillon in action as designed and it is remarkable, it can truely produce hundreds of rounds per hour when set up and maintained right. But I'm not there. I want some convenience when reloading precision rounds -- not to say a high volume reloader can't do precision. But it can't. Not to the degree I want.

My :twocents:, not worth any more than that.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    A progressive automatically advances the shell plate each time you pull the lever. On a turret the shell sits still and the tool holder rotates, normally by hand, although Lee does have a turret that auto rotates.

I have a Lyman "All American" turret that I love. The column is extremely tight and it has a post that rides under the back of the turret so that it doesn't deflect when you put pressure against it.

I have never cared for progressives, but that is just me. I like either single stage or turrets.

I would keep an eye on Ebay or Gunbroker just be careful how much shipping will cost. If you have time you might go to the INGO swapmeet that is coming up on the 5th could be some deals there.

Good Luck

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have used all types of presses and loaded many tens of k rounds and turret presses in general fit my ADD style very well since I like to make a few rounds of this and that at a time, or do one step in a batch, or tinker with settings of the dies, etc. I can change turrets in my Lee press in seconds and switch back and forth a lot. If all I were doing were cranking out hundreds of rounds of one type of ammo at a time then I'd get another progressive press.

I do reload some of my precision rifle rounds on a single stage press since I can be a lot more exacting.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have a turret Lyman T-Mag not bad but could be better. Batch for full length sizing, seating primers with hand primer. Then switch back and for open case mouth, fill with powder, then seat bullet.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have a Lyman "All American" turret that I love. The column is extremely tight and it has a post that rides under the back of the turret so that it doesn't deflect when you put pressure against it.

I also have a Lyman "All-American", and it is an incredibly robust turret press. I don't think it's available any more (except as a used press) but the Redding T-7 reminds me of it.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    The only thing that I have against the Lyman All American is that they have a shell holder design of their own. I have the adapter that allow you to use the X style holders.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I love my Lee Classic Turret. Priced at around $100, it doesn't kill your budget.

If I could only have one press the rest of my life, that would be it.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    Many years ago when I had a Lee turret, I had to keep several of the nylon discs in stock for the indexing shaft. Don't know if that is still the case or not.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you stop halfway and go the other way, they break. It makes sense to design it that way, so you can replace a $0.25 piece of plastic instead of a $30 part breaking.

If you make full strokes, they last "forever".

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a lee classic turret as well, I can get ok speed out of it. I am not a perfectionist on my loads, I load primarily for range use so I dont care if they are all perfect. Just as long as they feed they are good enough for me.

I am picking up a used loadmaster tonight, we will see how that goes. If I like that I may sell the turret, who knows.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom