• ...and so much more!
  • Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    My HDMI ports are no longer working after a power surge from a storm. Searching online, it seems to be somewhat common. Is this an easy fix? I called Samsung customer service. They walked me through a couple of troubleshooting steps. Since it is beyond the warranty period, they gave me a number to call for service. Before I called, I looked up this business to find they are a couple of hours away.

Next I called GeekSquad and was told it would be $99.99 for a service call to diagnose, then $99.99 plus parts for a second visit to bring back the parts and repair it. I asked why the diagnostic service call when I know what is wrong and was told that they still had to make both visits.

I will probably try to call a local repair shop in the Lafayette area. Any suggestions? Is this something that I can do on my own?

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Geek squad makes you pay for a service call and then pay the same fee again for them to fix? What a crock.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Geek squad makes you pay for a service call and then pay the same fee again for them to fix? What a crock.

You obviously don't work in the consumer electronics service industry. Half the calls you run most people won't follow up and have the equipment fixed. It takes as much time to diagnose as it does to fix it. You will never make money not charging for both trips. It's the norm to charge both trips. I do!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You obviously don't work in the consumer electronics service industry. Half the calls you run most people won't follow up and have the equipment fixed. It takes as much time to diagnose as it does to fix it. You will never make money not charging for both trips. It's the norm to charge both trips. I do!

+1 1911ly. Surely our techies are also aware of how often the end user is wrong about what the real problem is ( hint: >50% )

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010

I dont, but I think I should get in to it.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I'm hoping to get it fixed at a reasonable price. It is a large screen and cost about $750 2&1/2 years ago. Rather not throw it away.

So it sounds like it is common practice to charge twice, one for each visit. I guess I might as well try fixing it myself. Worst case scenario, I fail and call a repair service and fork out a couple hundred. Best case, I succeed for a fraction of the price. Thanks to all for your input and experience. I knew INGO would be a good source of info.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm hoping to get it fixed at a reasonable price. It is a large screen and cost about $750 2&1/2 years ago. Rather not throw it away.

So it sounds like it is common practice to charge twice, one for each visit. I guess I might as well try fixing it myself. Worst case scenario, I fail and call a repair service and fork out a couple hundred. Best case, I succeed for a fraction of the price. Thanks to all for your input and experience. I knew INGO would be a good source of info.

I doubt you have the ability to do surface mount circuit board repair. Just saying... If you want to repair it yourself the best option would be to buy a replacement circuit board for the TV. I can't really tell you a cost. They vary. Go a google search for "main board" include the model number of your TV. The circuit board itself should have a part number. You can search for it as well.

Tips from a retired ex pro:

Do this on a large table with a blanket laid out. Make sure the power plug is disconnected. Take tons of pictures of the plugs and where they go. Handle the plugs carefully. If you can't remove the plug easily just stop. If you walk away from the TV *touch the chassis before you handle anything* I have a anti static work bench. Not as easy to replicate in the field. Handle things carefully and sensibly and you will be find. Keep track of what size and type screws goes where. They matter. If there are plastic washers or spacers, return them to their original location.

The plugs can unplug many different ways. Some just pull out, some have latches. I can't tell you without seeing it. This is where experience pays of and sometimes sucking it up and paying a pro to do it right is better. Make absolutely sure you do not put pressure on the display screen!! I can not stress this enough.

And another thing I will add, I would seldom follow someone else's hack job repair. It's not worth my time to fix the problems someone else created then have to find the original problem. When I can be talked in to it, I charge double the labor for the PIA it usually turns out to be.

Do all this at your own risk. Be careful! Be safe!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've made quite a few repairs on tv, my favorite thing to do is hit up the for same ads and look for tvs that are not working, repair then flip.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay geeksquad a dime....I rather purposely destroy a tv and go out and buy a new one before I give geeksquad a dime.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Many electronics damaged by storms are covered on your insurance. This will vary greatly by company and equipment damaged.
    I got hit by a storm that took out my microwave, a stereo power conditioner, and hot tub pump.
    The inspector/adjuster also found damage on my breaker box. YMMV

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Update for anyone interested. I followed 1911ly's excellent suggestions. I took pictures, carefully disconnected, and remembered which screws, etc. went where. I found the main board replacement online for about $90 and it seems to be working fine!

Thanks again!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Update for anyone interested. I followed 1911ly's excellent suggestions. I took pictures, carefully disconnected, and remembered which screws, etc. went where. I found the main board replacement online for about $90 and it seems to be working fine!

Thanks again!

Awesome and you are welcome. Glad I could point you in the right direction. Glad it worked out for you!

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana

If the customer knew what was wrong they could fix it themselves. From what I have seen it takes more to diagnose correctly than to fix. Just love it when a customer brings their own parts. Either not the part that it bad or the wrong part for the unit.

Top Bottom