• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a Samsung that used to try many times to turn on, then eventually quit after just a couple of years.

I found bulged or leaking capacitors and replaced them with caps that had a higher spec.

Have never had a problem again for many years.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Cheap leaking electrolytic caps can cause all kinds of havoc. The material inside can corrode copper circuit boards and cause opens and I've even seen it form a carbon trace, catch fire and burn right through the board. Sometimes they swell and leak because other active components are bad.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Those brown caps fail a lot faster than the black ones. I don't recall the brand names on them, but anything you buy retail will likely be black. Not surprising they are all found on the power board.

The right board has one that I can see, but I wouldn't fret as that's your input board. Moreover, that board likely uses a higher temp solder and can be a pain to desolder/remove caps.

Focus on the power board, and replace all the caps on it if you can (otherwise you'll be replacing the others soon). As others have stated, get the same farad, but you can get away with the next higher voltage if it's easier to find. Higher voltage will actually last you longer, but tend to be larger in size, so make sure they'll fit in diameter and height before soldering.

You'll find common farad in 35 & 50v at your local radio shack (if any are still open). Anything goofy you might have to hit ebay.
    Replace one at a time... and pay attention to the legs (stripe side) for positive and negative.

Hit me up if you're looking for help and we'll desolder/resolder it. I have a ton of caps I buy in bulk after having to search for a couple monitors.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It's alive, it's alive, it's alive.

Well guys, I can't thank you enough, everything went perfect and the TV is working again.
    Cost me less than $5 and I had the satisfaction of fixing myself with your help.
    Your a great bunch of guys.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi again guys;
    Hey I don't want to push my luck but from the pictures above can anyone tell me which circuit board is the analog signal receiver board?

My daughter says the TV works OK but it only receives the digital channels now.

It may not matter for long because Spectrum says they are switching over to all digital in the near future.

Top Bottom