• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    It appears our 12 year old Sony might be slowly dying. Horizontal lines have suddenly appeared on the right side of the screen and slowly fade out on the left side. I‘ve done a little shopping and the choices are a little overwhelming.

From my research, it appears OLED screens are the newest technology. Newest also means the most expensive. There’s also, LED, QLED, NEO QLED……makes my head start spinning.

My wife and I watch TV and the occasional Netflix show. We are Xfinity customers and have HD through them. We own a Blu-ray DVD player, but I couldn’t tell you the last time we rented a dvd.

One thing we have decided on is size, which will be a 65”. That appears to be the perfect size for the room and the distance we sit from the tv. We are Costco members and looked the last time we were there. The Sony OLED and LG OLED tvs were beautiful, with a Samsung QLED looking excellent as well. I know the 4K feeds they have at the store aren’t going to be available to us unless we upgrade our Netflix account and/or add a streaming service that provides 4K. I’m not opposed to paying $2k for a tv, but am I going to be just as happy buying a $1200 QLED instead of paying the premium to step up to OLED?

The other issue I have is getting the tv home. The boxed 65” will fit in our Outback, but only if laid on its side, which my research says this is a bad idea. We are 25 miles from the store. Costco will deliver for “free”, but in-store pricing is a little cheaper and buying/bringing home gives that instant gratification. Delivery is probably the most sensible option.

I’m just curious to hear from others that may have gone through this process recently. This is the only tv we have in the house. Our Sony has served us well, but I believe it’s end is near.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I really like my Samsung TV’s. They seem to have a more open system than other makes. I don’t know you overall budget but I typically replace all my TV’s at once when the main TV is replaced so all TV’s in my home have the same remote and operating system, but smaller TV’s are pretty cheap and that consistent operation factor is huge to the spousal unit. LOL. Especially since we cut cable and stream everything. If she had to learn a different OS for every TV she would kill me…

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If you can wait until Super Bowl time, I think the sales are better then.

We bought a no name, 55" LED a few years ago from Best Buy on Black Friday. Still going strong and the price couldn't be beat.

We purposely looked for one that wasn't a smart tv. A PITA then, I'd imagine it's harder to find one like that now.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I was a Home Theater manager at Best Buy for several years. Couple key points...

1. OLED is not new. Samsung, Sony, and dozens of other phone manufacturers have been using OLED for phone screens for years.
    2. OLED works best in dark rooms. The picture is amazing, but can lose some of its brilliance in bright rooms. When you go look at TV's, do this... turn your phone flashlight on and shine it at the screen. Look at the reflection of the light. You will be amazed at how every TV is different.
    3. All 4K tv's are not the same. 4K just refers to the number of pixels. You have to also look at the brightness, number of colors that can be displayed (8 bit vs. 10 bit), motion rate (60 Hz vs 120 Hz), edge lit vs full array backlight, type of processor (all content is digital these days - even antenna). You can get a cheap 4K tv, but it will be a cheap 4K tv. (you get what you pay for)
    4. I have always loved Samsung. I have a 65" QLED and a couple 55" 8000 series. That being said, Samsung hasn't really kept up in recent years with cutting edge tech. Sony on the other hand has been putting out some great quality tv's.
    5. My recommendation is a Samsung QLED, or Sony X85 or X90

BTW, if looking at OLED, Sony makes a much better one than LG. Better processor, brighter display.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The shipping on the side is mainly for semi truck and warehouse environment. Mainly so things are not set on the screen. Just be careful when handling and it is fine.

I have transported them on the side before and the boxes are made well enough to do so.

If you can afford the OLED get it. Industry standard with each pixel it own driver. Better blacks. Lighter and thinner. QLed is Samsung proprietary and while very nice is still a backlight LED tv.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Based on what you described in terms of use (watching Netflix and Xfinity cable) I sure don't think you need to spend $1200 on a TV.

It's been a while since I've purchased one or priced TVs but last one I did buy was a 43' Vizio Smart TV for $200. That was 3-4 years ago. It does everything I ask it to do (Netflix, Xfinity box, PS4). The sound quality could be better but the picture is plenty clear.

Granted, you're looking to go bigger, but I doubt you'll notice of use the features of a $1200 TV compared to one at half that price.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    FWIW. I shopped long and hard for a TV 2 years ago and could not see enough difference to justify the price difference in getting an OLED. Ended up with a Sony Bravia XTR 4K Smart TV and recently cut the cord. Been very happy with the TV, had it delivered for free on a Best Buy Promo sale. Was not a Costco member at the time but would have joined for significant savings but did just as well watching for sales. Not sure how the current market is affecting the normal Superbowl TV promos.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you can wait until Super Bowl time, I think the sales are better then.

We bought a no name, 55" LED a few years ago from Best Buy on Black Friday. Still going strong and the price couldn't be beat.

We purposely looked for one that wasn't a smart tv. A PITA then, I'd imagine it's harder to find one like that now.
    The market does not usually affect Costco prices but waiting may offer fewer options in the current market…

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The picture is amazing, but can lose some of its brilliance in bright rooms. When you go look at TV's, do this... turn your phone flashlight on and shine it at the screen. Look at the reflection of the light.
    Agree, our TV is in a room with lots of windows and does well. When we were looking noticed lots of reflections at the stores interfering with watching the screen.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Just did a quick look and the Sony 65 inch at BestBuy seem to be about the same price as Costco but have free shipping in our area.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The sound quality could be better but the picture is plenty clear.
    This brings up a good point. Whatever TV you go with, you absolutely need a soundbar to go along with it. TV speakers suck. They are either in the back or on the bottom, but most are only 5-10W speakers at best. Don't go cheap on a soundbar, but also I wouldnt spend more than $400 either. You can find a pretty good soundbar for around $250-300.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It appears our 12 year old Sony might be slowly dying. Horizontal lines have suddenly appeared on the right side of the screen and slowly fade out on the left side. I‘ve done a little shopping and the choices are a little overwhelming.

From my research, it appears OLED screens are the newest technology. Newest also means the most expensive. There’s also, LED, QLED, NEO QLED……makes my head start spinning.

My wife and I watch TV and the occasional Netflix show. We are Xfinity customers and have HD through them. We own a Blu-ray DVD player, but I couldn’t tell you the last time we rented a dvd.

One thing we have decided on is size, which will be a 65”. That appears to be the perfect size for the room and the distance we sit from the tv. We are Costco members and looked the last time we were there. The Sony OLED and LG OLED tvs were beautiful, with a Samsung QLED looking excellent as well. I know the 4K feeds they have at the store aren’t going to be available to us unless we upgrade our Netflix account and/or add a streaming service that provides 4K. I’m not opposed to paying $2k for a tv, but am I going to be just as happy buying a $1200 QLED instead of paying the premium to step up to OLED?

The other issue I have is getting the tv home. The boxed 65” will fit in our Outback, but only if laid on its side, which my research says this is a bad idea. We are 25 miles from the store. Costco will deliver for “free”, but in-store pricing is a little cheaper and buying/bringing home gives that instant gratification. Delivery is probably the most sensible option.

I’m just curious to hear from others that may have gone through this process recently. This is the only tv we have in the house. Our Sony has served us well, but I believe it’s end is near.
    TV on its side shouldn't be an issue for the drive home. The boxes are well made and packed well. First thing yo are going to do when you put the stand on it or put the mounting arms on the back is lay it on its side anyway. Never seen an issue with it. Just don't stack the rest of the costco haul on top of it.

I personally like Samsung for TVs as I like their interface. The 2 I have, performed well so far. We have a 65 4k in living room for last few years, and I just wall mounted a 55 in the bedroom. Both purchased at Costco.

Still nursing my Panasonic 50" Plasma in the media room downstairs, mostly for those times when I'm playing a game.

Review refresh rates if you watch sports or play any games, etc.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I really like my 13 year old LG. Still works perfect. Just wouldn't mind going from 55 to either 65 or 70"

I've been looking at replacements and a LG 65" can be had around $700 & a 70-75" under $1k. These options would suit my needs. I don't need the latest and greatest technology

You can lay a TV on its side. No issues there. Always let it come up to room temp before plugging in though

Lpherr

Occupied
    Something to consider with Costco... using their CC, doubles the factory warranty, and extended warranties are inexpensive and will replace the tv. I don't remember all of the specifics, but our Sony crapped out, and Costco would've replaced it.

Edit: I checked with the boss, with Costco Concierge, we also received two years free on the warranty. So, we have something like a seven year warranty, for like $35.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have recently outfitted one of my houses with new TVs. 1) 65", 2) 47", 3) 42" 4) 65"

The two smaller ones are TCLs, one a Roku and the other an Android TV. 47" is on the lanai and 42" in bedroom. Perfectly good TVs, easy to use and good quality picture. Bother were less than $300 ea.

One 65" is a Vizio 4k LCD. I like it. Use it to watch what wife and I usually watch: streaming shows, a couple of regular TV, I watch some sports and the occasional movie. Again perfectly fine and HD is good for sports. I want to say it was less than $1000 or so. Probably $800 area.

The other 65" is LG 4k OLED blah, blah, blah. Super thin screen so looks sort of neat, but I could really care less. About $1800. I could not tell the difference between the to bigger ones and would not buy the OLED again unless the prices came way down.

As for durability, we'll find out.

Top Bottom