• ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    The Commercial-News, Danville, IL - 2 men killed during invasion

BY BRIAN L. HUCHEL
    Commercial-News

INDIANOLA — A retired village police chief in Vermilion County shot and killed two men after they forced their way into his home and demanded money.

The Vermilion County Sheriff’s Department responded to a report of home invasion just before 11 p.m. Monday in the 300 block of S. Vermilion Street in Indianola.

Vermilion County Sheriff Pat Hartshorn said two men — a 17-year-old and a 22-year-old — were dropped off at the home just outside of Indianola as part of a planned robbery of the home and its residents. The suspects — armed with a shotgun — were under the impression the couple had money in the two-story home.

Hartshorn said the men also carried masks and rope to tie up their victims.

The homeowner, former Westville police chief Max “Mick” Taylor, responded to knocks at the front door of the home.

According to Hartshorn, the two suspects shoved the man inside and began strangling him with their hands, demanding money and asking where his safe was.

Taylor’s wife, hearing the commotion, came down the stairs and told the men the couple had no money, but she would give them her jewelry.

While the men followed Taylor’s wife to their bedroom to go through the jewelry, Taylor retrieved a handgun from inside the bedroom.

Hartshorn said the 17-year-old was shot as be began to level the shotgun at Taylor. The second suspect was pursued as he fled the room and shot in a downstairs bedroom of the home.

One suspect, the 22-year-old man, has been identified as Thomas L. Moore. Court records list his address along Spelter Avenue. The Vermilion County Coroner’s Office has not officially identified either suspect in the case. An assistant at the office said Tuesday that no names were expected to be released until today.

Hartshorn said both men were pronounced dead on the scene.

Taylor was taken to Provena United Samaritans Medical Center where he received treatment for the strangulation he received from the two men. A spokeswoman for the hospital said Tuesday morning that Taylor was treated and released.

Hartshorn said another man, also 17 years old, who dropped off the duo at the Indianola home was located by sheriff’s deputies about two blocks from the house in the truck he was driving. He confirmed to investigators that the home invasion was a planned act based on the belief there was money in the home.

Moore has a criminal record locally, pleading guilty to felony burglary in two criminal cases, misdemeanor possession of a firearm in another and misdemeanor counts of battery in three others, according to Vermilion County court records.

This is less than 10-15 miles from my home here in Indiana. Wild stuff, but I knew it was getting bad in this area. I just hope they don't get the idea to cross the state line anytime soon.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    2 more "fine, misunderstood, youths" (as their attorney WOULD HAVE reffered to them)that have been removed from the gene pool.

+1 to the retired chief. He knew that evil never sleeps and was prepared for the unthinkable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    He's very lucky he and his wife weren't killed.

Answer an unexpected knock on the door at 11pm without looking first? Really? You're kidding me, right? ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE.

Only by God's grace is this man still alive. Gun or otherwise, don't make that mistake. It can be, and sometimes is, fatal

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    PHP:
    Hartshorn said the 17-year-old was shot as be began to level the shotgun at Taylor. The second suspect was pursued as he fled the room and shot in a downstairs bedroom of the home.

This sounds exactly like the scenario recently discussed in another thread. I believe it was called 'Can I Shoot Him?"

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    PHP:

This sounds exactly like the scenario recently discussed in another thread. I believe it was called 'Can I Shoot Him?"

I was thinking the same thing. But we don't know the circumstances of what happened in the lower bedroom.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    PHP:

Exactly what I was thinking!

The chief may have issues with BG #2........

Also not familiar with that part of Il. Is he in a "no gun zone"?

By the way I'm glad the guy was able to defend himself. I'm all for that. I also agree it was a bad move to open the door to strangers...especially at night and with his background.......

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I don't see any issues with BG #2. He was still in the house and I doubt he was fleeing. I'd like to hear the Chief's perspective before saying he's in trouble. He probably told him to stop and the kid didn't and he shot him...They shouldn't have forced their way into his house. I love Indiana.

edit: So this was in Illinois? Oh, well, he may have problems, then... I hate that state.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Not exactly.

In the other scenario, the BG was actually leaving the house (i.e. crossing the threshold) not just leaving the ROOM where the victims were located & heading into a downstairs bedroom. That's a BIG difference.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    2 BG's force entry into home with intent to confine and rob. This act was premeditated. Bravo to the home owner for protecting his home and family in any way he can. Case closed!

rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    small rural town, very possible the "retired" still carried an active commission. the paper omits that force beyond pushing was used during the commission of the crime and that the homeowner required medical treatment.
    on occassion the victim wins. drop 2 from the count

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    The bgs knocked him to the floor where one of them tried to strangle him and beat him while the other held a gun to his head.

Micky will NOT be charged with anything. (Per Vermilion County State's Attornwy) He was acting legally. (The criminal act was performed inside Micky's house. We are allowed to use a gun inside our homes - or on our property if one feels that his/her life or the life of another is at risk. (Duh! Two men entered his house with a gun and rope! I'd say that qualifies! Yep!)

Add that to the fact that the news stations often report that most such criminal acts end up with the death of the victim(s).

Indianola is a tiny town where everyone knows everyone. No real crime rate (until Monday night). Very quiet, peaceful.

For the record: There were NO "ISSUES" with the bad guys - until the home-invasion attack of course.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    I would say the only thing the occupant did wrong was open the door without knowing who was there and not being armed to begin with. He was lucky he was able to get to his gun.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    One would think that a former cop would realize that crime is spreading to even towns like tiny Indianola, but people do get used to a lifestyle.

One good thing came out of this tho. My son has pulled his head out of the sand! When something like this hits close to home (a member of the family - Micky is my cousin), it makes one re-think things.

My son asked me for one of my handguns to keep in his room and he is going to teach his daughter (age 10) to shoot as well! My son is FINALLY getting it! (He used to leave the doors unlocked/open all night. My town has a pop. of 3200) Very little crime (except drunks, speeding, etc. - you know, small stuff)

Mom's not such a dummy after all, huh, son. :D

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    I'm all for more DEAD bad buys, but can I .. . . . . . . .

....pursue a bad guy and shoot him dead? Only the 1st perp was holding a shot-gun. (We know only what the news had reported, no sheriff statement) Don't misconstrue -- I'd probably done the same, but I really hope the 2d guy wasn't back-shot. Pat

Top Bottom