• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Finally picked up a .357, now I need another flavor of powder. I will be reloading 38 special with 158 grain cast and Titegroup. But for .357 loads I need some suggestion as I cannot find any loads using Titegroup. Was thinking about HP-38 but can't find any loads. I only have my phone for internet access and its difficult to find information at times, some sites are not mobile friendly. Thanks again INGO...

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've never loaded with Titegroup, but Hodgdon's on-line manual shows an abundance of loads using it. Everything from 90 grain cast to 180 grain bullets. For a 158 grain cast, they list a starting load of 4.5 grains and max load of 5.0 grains. I highly recommend you validate this load through other means, but you should be able to use the powder you already have. You may have to stop by a library to view their load data instead of using your phone.

As far as using HP-38, I've always used Win 231 (no reason other than that is what I started with), which is theoretically very similar if not exactly the same and had good luck with it in everything, including 357 mag.

--Rick

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hp38 and tightgroup are on the faster end for pistol pwlowders. Magnum loads usually use slower powders. i am away from my manuals but I think Green Dot is an option. Maybe something like IMR 4227 which I know is used in some 44 and 45 col loads. The faster poweders like you jave could be ok for light loads, but may hit pressure limits before reaching magnum velocities.

Brian

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Thanks Rick...will have to take a look and see if that site works on my phone. Sounds like I will be able to use Titegroup with .357. Will check it out. Thanks again...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    There is light magnum load data for win 231/HP38. Dad loaded some 158 grain XTP last weekend. Hogdon website should have load data.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I've never loaded with Titegroup, but Hodgdon's on-line manual shows an abundance of loads using it. Everything from 90 grain cast to 180 grain bullets. For a 158 grain cast, they list a starting load of 4.5 grains and max load of 5.0 grains. I highly recommend you validate this load through other means, but you should be able to use the powder you already have. You may have to stop by a library to view their load data instead of using your phone.

As far as using HP-38, I've always used Win 231 (no reason other than that is what I started with), which is theoretically very similar if not exactly the same and had good luck with it in everything, including 357 mag.

--Rick

Looked at both these sites, they work on my phone. Would love to get a new computer, but that would kill what precious little gun money I have. Thanks for the heads up...found what I'm looking for.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Hp38 and tightgroup are on the faster end for pistol pwlowders. Magnum loads usually use slower powders. i am away from my manuals but I think Green Dot is an option. Maybe something like IMR 4227 which I know is used in some 44 and 45 col loads. The faster poweders like you jave could be ok for light loads, but may hit pressure limits before reaching magnum velocities.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Looking to get a few loaded up right now. Looking for some IMR 4227 but its hard to find right now. Hoping one of these days pistol powder will start showing up again. Thanks again.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Red Dot, Bullseye, 2400, 296/H110, WST will work for .357. Stay FAR away from Blue Dot. It will gas cut your forcing cone and top strap like a mother.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    For full house loads .357 (not to mention .44 Magnum, .45 Colt "+P", and .454 Casull), it's mighty tough to beat W296/H110.
    I've loaded up fifty .357 and somwhere around 1000-2000 ,45 Colt with it, and it works like a champ.
    Dunno how far LaFontaine is from Anderson, but I can tell you that Crack Shot Guns in that town has some.
    I bought a canister of it there just last week.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    For full house loads .357 (not to mention .44 Magnum, .45 Colt "+P", and .454 Casull), it's mighty tough to beat W295/H110.
    I've loaded up fifty .357 and somwhere around 1000-2000 ,45 Colt with it, and it works like a champ.
    Dunno how far LaFontaine is from Anderson, but I can tell you that Crack Shot Guns in that town has some.
    I bought a canister of it there just last week.

I know where there is a pound of H110, may go pick it up and try. Anderson is farther than I really want to drive.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'll add Bullseye, Power Pistol, Unique and 2400 to the list. They work well, but each one works best with specific bullets.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have found Acc 5 provides a nice thump in my rifle. Took a few loads to the range today. Titegroup, in a rifle, feels like you're shooting .22 out of a rifle.

Good Luck!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Elevated Arms
    Top Bottom