Two times in 2 days had my gun this time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You did what I would have done. Contacted 911 and then stay out of the problem, no matter who or what is getting the snot beat out of them.

There problems are not my problems. I wouldn’t intervene physically or verbally even if Queen Elizabeth herself was taking a beat down by thugs.
    Amazing zero tollerence outlook. We all know what that sort of absolute mentality is indicitive of.

There are many situations where a person should intervene, while the OP made the right call in this situation, it's absurd to say what you did.

Hopefully your wife or children won't have the only person around be like you if they ever find themselves in need of help.

"The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Amazing zero tollerence outlook. We all know what that sort of absolute mentality is indicitive of.

There are many situations where a person should intervene, while the OP made the right call in this situation, it's absurd to say what you did.

Hopefully your wife or children won't have the only person around be like you if they ever find themselves in need of help.

"The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".

Wow. Itchin' to kill some BG's?

The poster did PLENTY. He got his family in a safe place, called the police, was a great witness, and gave them enough information to arrest the guy. We don't know the outcome of the lady in question though. Maybe he should have unhitched the car and followed them...not.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I really don't think I could have stayed out of that one. I understand why you did what you did, the way you did, and I commend you for that, but I think I might have handled it a bit differently. Of course, you don't know until you are faced with the exact same set of circumstances.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I really don't think I could have stayed out of that one. I understand why you did what you did, the way you did, and I commend you for that, but I think I might have handled it a bit differently. Of course, you don't know until you are faced with the exact same set of circumstances.

Considering I was in another state not familiar with where I was and especially not familiar with the laws in OK the smarted thing to do was to stay out of it unless I was forced into it.

Now if I was faced with this same situation in Indiana I would probably still do the same thing and stay back calling for help unless my hand was forced. I'm no hero and there's no point in trying to be one when I can stay safely back and call 911.

Knowing the details are extremely important before ever getting into it unless a child is involved. If it's 2 adults there are just to many unknowns.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    You done good, OP. Anyone else glance at the record of that dude? I'd love to know when and why the ICE hold was released. He's certainly started right in as a law abiding fellow...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow. Itchin' to kill some BG's?

The poster did PLENTY. He got his family in a safe place, called the police, was a great witness, and gave them enough information to arrest the guy. We don't know the outcome of the lady in question though. Maybe he should have unhitched the car and followed them...not.
    -1 for a complete lack of reading comprehension.

I said the OP appeared to do the right thing, that post had nothing to do with the OP.

I live and deal with the real world. I don't want to kill anyone. I save lives by profession and have been doing it since I was of legal age in one form or another.

In my world, the real world, peoples lives are changed in an instant. It takes just one blow to seriously injure a person, fist or foot, I'm not even talking about a weapon.

In the real world, people don't walk away from a "snot beating", it takes weeks and months to recover, physical therapy, surgeries and thats if they were disabled or killed.

To claim otherwise is to live in a fantasy world.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    -1 for a complete lack of reading comprehension.

I said the OP appeared to do the right thing, that post had nothing to do with the OP.

I live and deal with the real world. I don't want to kill anyone. I save lives by profession and have been doing it since I was of legal age in one form or another.

In my world, the real world, peoples lives are changed in an instant. It takes just one blow to seriously injure a person, fist or foot, I'm not even talking about a weapon.

In the real world, people don't walk away from a "snot beating", it takes weeks and months to recover, physical therapy, surgeries and thats if they were disabled or killed.

To claim otherwise is to live in a fantasy world.

Whatever Rambo. Your wild fantasy has nothing to do with what I posted. Go off on a rant much?

-1 just because

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Whatever Rambo. Your wild fantasy has nothing to do with what I posted. Go off on a rant much?

-1 just because

Now what makes him rambo?:D

What he said makes perfect sense, in the real world there are situations where we should intervene and situations where standing back is the best thing to do. Each different situation has to be evaluated a little before making a decision.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Now what makes him rambo?:D

What he said makes perfect sense, in the real world there are situations where we should intervene and situations where standing back is the best thing to do. Each different situation has to be evaluated a little before making a decision.

What he said had nothing to do with my post...:welcome:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'm with Prometheus.

Call me an idealist, but if I see some guy beating up a woman, I'm stepping in. Call me an idiot, old fashioned, or whatever. But I would much rather risk getting beat up, shot, or even killed than let her take those risks.

I'm not looking to kill anybody, but sometimes you gotta sack up and help.

To the OP, however, it sounds like everything turned out okay, and props for having the presence of mind to get the police there pronto.

To those who deride others because they have a desire to help those in need, that's low.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I'm with Prometheus.

Call me an idealist, but if I see some guy beating up a woman, I'm stepping in. Call me an idiot, old fashioned, or whatever. But I would much rather risk getting beat up, shot, or even killed than let her take those risks.

Those aren't risks I'm willing to take that easily. My safety comes before someone I don't know. Call me cruel but I've got a 5yo boy and a 6yo girl that need a live dad.

I know to many stupid women who stick with abusive guys and will defend them in a heart beat. For all I know I could have jumped in then been attacked by both of them and been forced to shoot one and get sued by the other, or you step in have to shoot him then she says you attacked them.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Those aren't risks I'm willing to take that easily. My safety comes before someone I don't know. Call me cruel but I've got a 5yo boy and a 6yo girl that need a live dad.

Good call. I'm just a young single guy, and I certainly understand that you have to change your perspective when you're responsible for more than just yourself. (i.e. a family)

As I said, well done handling the situation.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Good call. I'm just a young single guy, and I certainly understand that you have to change your perspective when you're responsible for more than just yourself. (i.e. a family)

Yeah having kids around does change your perspective.

Before I had kids I did jump in front of a friends abusive boyfriend and wasn't scared one bit. I was ready to knock him out cold but like a woman beater he ran from me.:rolleyes: She was back with him a week later. :n00b: I didn't do it but he ended up being life lined to the hospital half dead a month later. They wired his mouth shut for 6 months :laugh:, The guys that did do it were arrested for assault and battery.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm with Prometheus.

I'm not looking to kill anybody, but sometimes you gotta sack up and help.

To the OP, however, it sounds like everything turned out okay, and props for having the presence of mind to get the police there pronto.

To those who deride others because they have a desire to help those in need, that's low.

You might feel differently if you had a wife and child there possibly witnessing your violent death or injury. OP did good.

:popcorn:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    You might feel differently if you had a wife and child there possibly witnessing your violent death or injury. OP did good.

:popcorn:
    You missed it! ;)

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Many many years ago I witnessed a fight, Jock vs Cheerleader girlfriend. He hit her, a buddy and I intervened and the boyfriend took a little nap. She (with nose still streaming blood) started screaming at us to leave him alone because they loved each other. Sirens were on the way so we practiced the better part of valor (discretion) and left the scene. Both recovered and they never did identify us so no problems for us. These days I am much older, a bit wiser, and long married. I would have done pretty much what the OP did and I will leave heroic measures to folks who heal quicker than I do. Well done sir.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom