• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    When I was about 4 years old, (1962-63? )there was a "disgruntled employee" that walked into my father's office at US Steel in Gary, and shot and killed my father's boss and two of his colleagues before trying to leave the mill through the main gate, where he was taken down (killed) with one shot by a security guard who in 30 years had never drawn his gun.

The twists of fate... my father had stayed home on that particular day with the stomach flu, or he VERY likely would have been a victim as well...

Interesting that now more than 50 years later, I can still visualize my Dad, sitting on the edge of the bed in his pajama's (they wore pajamas in the 60's!) talking on the old type Black Desk type phone to his office and the tears running down his face... Strange how strong an image that leaves on a four year old...

As the father now of a young 26 year old daughter living away in another city on her own... I am absolutely nauseated and sick to my stomach over such a senseless killing. So so sad....

The ONLY Positive is that this P.O.S. Coward saved a whole lot of time and trouble by offing himself in the process....

Incidentally, I would like to see us do in the US what they do in Canada... They get some Ahole like this, and they NEVER put his name or put his picture up on the news... anonymity is a good deterent. With our media, we give them all the attention and notoriety that they are craving in the first place...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    An article currently on Fox News website quoted a message from the killer to ABC news. Part of the message read

"Yes, it will sound like I am angry...I am. And I have every right to be. But when I leave this Earth, the only emotion I want to feel is peace...."

I seem to remember a very famous quotation, familiar to just about all of us, that tells us that peace is for men of good will. I understand it's not my call, but if I had to bet, I would bet that where he's going, he will never feel any remote semblance of peace.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm literally feeling sick about this entire thing. Sick that two people were killed in cold blood. Sick that its become yet another media circus. Sick that Obama is blaming the gun once again. Sick that I'm afraid this is going to lead to more copy cat murders, much like many of the school shootings since Columbine seem to have credible ties back to Columbine.

Everyone that was ever teased, made fun of, bullied, etc., or otherwise has a bone to pick with someone sees this as a way to instant fame and stardom and their name plastered for all to see on all the media outlets.

Would be nice if the media took a look at itself and realize that if they just stopped turning these people into celebrities, that maybe the copy cats wouldn't go through with it. I get that in today's age of instant notification that media outlets want to report it first. But do us a favor...don't name the suspect. Refer to him as John Doe or Jane Doe, etc. Don't give them their 15 minutes of fame.

Without consulting Google, how many of the Columbine victims can you name right now? How about Stoneybrook? How about Aurora theater? I bet its really close to 0. How many of the assailants can you name now? I bet you can name just about all of them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yet all the anti-s are yelling at the top of their lungs.

I think it'll end soon. They can't keep up the anti-gun screaming too long when the murderer is on their side. He was, quite literally, a member of the media. Too much attention will get the unwashed masses noticing.

Media: "Republican shot and killed 2...Wait, he was a gay, black Democrat Obama supporter? Hmm...A gun shot and killed 2..."

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    Regarding the posters here lamenting the lack of situational awareness on the victims' part-

These TV journalists are trained to ignore everything but their coworkers and the interviewee when they are on camera.

They are constantly harassed by clowns trying to photobomb and disrupt the scene. They focus on the job, and in this case, it made them extra vulnerable.

If you watch the video the shooter posted, you will see the victims had little chance to avoid being shot, especially since they were unarmed.

^^^THIS^^^ I know some TV-types and from what they've told me the one I would have expected to notice was the lady being interviewed. People on-air the first time tend to be nervous and look around a lot and shift nervously if they are the focal point. She, however, was a seasoned PR person and this was not her first rodeo.

A photographer is essentially scope-blind while on air like a sniper would be staring down glass with the other eye shut. People move around and you have to keep them framed up and in focus, all the while reacting to the flow of the conversation to change your shot to keep it from being static and boring. They may also be taking direction from the booth on their earpiece depending on what's going on. They also usually responsible for setting lighting and get the truck linked for the shot.

Reporters have to maintain contact with the interviewee, the camera, speak intelligently, react to the flow of information from the interviewee, hit all of their story in the time allotted, and listen to the control-room in their earpiece for information and direction all at once. They're a bit busy to maintain good SA on top of the aforementioned reflexive tuning out hecklers and such.

It doesn't always look like it, but they have a tremendous number of balls in the air. The good ones make it look effortless. Talking with them opened my eyes a bit to their reality.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    You can tell in the murder's movie that he's using a Glock and the media says it's a 9mm. Whether it's a 19 or 17 there will probably be a run on them now. I remember after the attempted murder on Gabby Giffords in Tucson it was made known that the vermin used a Glock 19. 19s then seemed to disappear from dealers' shelves. I know because I was coincidently looking for one at the time and they were snapped up almost instantly.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Ha! Can't rep again.

Gonna have to agree here. Dunno if it would have saved any lives, but even during an interview, how do all parties not notice someone who's moved into nearly point blank range. That vid was tough to watch, because he was so calm about it, raising the weapon, lowering it, moving a little closer...

sickening.

Have you ever seen a news person not locked onto the camera or the person they are interviewing? How's the camera man going to look around and still do his job?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    You can tell in the murder's movie that he's using a Glock and the media says it's a 9mm. Whether it's a 19 or 17 there will probably be a run on them now. I remember after the attempted murder on Gabby Giffords in Tucson it was made known that the vermin used a Glock 19. 19s then seemed to disappear from dealers' shelves. I know because I was coincidently looking for one at the time and they were snapped up almost instantly.

I bought a Glock 19 Gen 4 a month or so ago. Only 210 rounds, exactly, have been shot through it. I'll sell it right now for $800! Heck, I'll include one of the three magazines for free even. The other two can be purchased for $50 each...

Top Bottom