• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    So if you take that training as an Indiana resident can you get a Illinois non resident license?

NO!

For the time being, Indiana residents are prohibited from obtaining out-of-state IL CCLs, due to IN laws not being "substantially similar" to those in Illinois (surprise! surprise!) Here's how goofy it is in the La-La Land of Lincoln: only one state's laws have been deemed "substantially similar"--Hawaii.

Additionally, to get an out-of-state IL CCL, one must have a carry permit from one's own state, and Hawaii has not issued a permit in many, many years. On top of that, if a Hawaii resident wants to apply for a carry permit, he/she will not be able to find an application, which doesn't matter, because it would be denied, regardless. I suppose all this is what makes Hawaii "substantially similar" to the powers that be in Illinois!

Bottom line:
    Illinois will prohibit Indiana residents from obtaining the glorious IL CCL for the foreseeable future. I wish it were not so, as we have two IL CCL Certified Instructors on staff: myself and Sgt. Bryan DeYoung, who is a retired police officer from Burr Ridge, IL (suburb of Chicago) and tactical commander of the largest multi-jurisdictional SWAT team in the nation.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Than why are they even holding these classes, and more importantly why are the people holding these classes not announcing upfront that the classes have no practical application?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Than why are they even holding these classes, and more importantly why are the people holding these classes not announcing upfront that the classes have no practical application?

Excellent questions which I cannot answer for others.
    Perhaps, in the future, when Indiana is deemed "substantially similar" by the grand Pooh-Bahs in Illinois, then folks that have, already, taken the required class(es) will have that behind them. However, I do not know how much 'shelf life' the IL CCL classes have in that regard. Illinois already requires a 3-hour class for renewals every five years. Consequently, we at Indiana Firearms Training are hesitant to promote the IL CCL classes until some of the pressing issues regarding out-of-state licenses have been addressed adequately.

Caveal Emptor--Buyer beware!

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Tyr 1 Training is offering the 16hr Illinois Concealed Carry Class March 15&16 to meet the training requirement for resident and non-resident permits. For more info please message or check the website Tyr 1 Training Corporation | LaPorte, IN 46350. Please pass this on to anyone you know who may be interested.

Toby, did you have any plans to advertise the facts mentioned above? I don't want to sound aggressive, but this is like the 3rd or 4th company I've seen offering this class, yet not one has pointed out that after you pay the fees and spend your time doing this training, you STILL CANNOT get the nonres permit. I'm convinced it's half a scam...

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Toby, did you have any plans to advertise the facts mentioned above? I don't want to sound aggressive, but this is like the 3rd or 4th company I've seen offering this class, yet not one has pointed out that after you pay the fees and spend your time doing this training, you STILL CANNOT get the nonres permit. I'm convinced it's half a scam...

Not so. I have consistently stated that the IL CCL is not available to Indiana residents (or other states, for that matter, except Hawaii) for the time being.

Top Bottom