• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Major scandal alert.

As many as 12 U.S. Army soldiers are being court-martialed for intentionally killing Afghani civilians ("mowing them down"), and faking attacks against themselves. The soldiers detonated grenades nearby in order to look as if they were attacked before killing the civilians.

Then the "kill team" would pose with the dead bodies as if they were trophies of a deer hunt or something. As many as 4,000 pictures and videos related to these murders have been obtained by a German news network (taken by the soldiers themselves).

Sadly this will only further hurt the U.S.'s reputation around the world and possibly could surge the violence.

These wars must end, all 3 of them. Nothing good can come from any continuance of these engagements. Just more lives lost, more money squandered, more dignity lost for our country. Oppose the wars, it is long overdue. :twocents:

The 'Kill Team' Images: US Army Apologizes for Horrific Photos from Afghanistan

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Major scandal alert.

As many as 12 U.S. Army soldiers are being court-martialed for intentionally killing Afghani civilians ("mowing them down"), and faking attacks against themselves. The soldiers detonated grenades nearby in order to look as if they were attacked before killing the civilians.

Then the "kill team" would pose with the dead bodies as if they were trophies of a deer hunt or something. As many as 4,000 pictures and videos related to these murders have been obtained by a German news network (taken by the soldiers themselves).

Sadly this will only further hurt the U.S.'s reputation around the world and possibly could surge the violence.

These wars must end, all 3 of them. Nothing good can come from any continuance of these engagements. Just more lives lost, more money squandered, more dignity lost for our country. Oppose the wars, it is long overdue. :twocents:

The 'Kill Team' Images: US Army Apologizes for Horrific Photos from Afghanistan

This incident and the wars themselves are not linked, and it is wrong of you to link them. Why are you certain this happened as it is reported here? Many things about this sound fishy.

Being against the war is fine. Jumping on any incident and assuming its truth because it fits your agenda is irresponsible.

This may have happened as reported, it may not have. It doesn't sound right to me, based on my experience in the Army.

I thought better of you than that.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Those "soldiers" should be put in a hole and never see the light of day again. But in all groups there are people who do some bad ****. Why do people feel the need to video everything these days?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Those "soldiers" should be put in a hole and never see the light of day again. But in all groups there are people who do some bad ****. Why do people feel the need to video everything these days?

How about we find out if they did it first?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I will be the first to say that I am confident that IF they did this, they represent a minority in the military community. They are presumed innocent until proven guilty, and I will not rely on press releases to make my determination. Hopefully the truth (whatever that my be, bad or good) will come out at trial. There is always a rush to judgment and people are quick to condemn based SOLELY on what they are fed in the news.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have no doubt that the alleged crimes represent an extreme minority of our troops.

Certainly they deserve their day in court, and truth and justice should be sought.

I would like to believe it isn't true. If it is, the bad apples must be dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately this incident is going to make their comrades' jobs a lot more difficult and unpopular. Sorry if I offended anybody with my soapbox.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This incident and the wars themselves are not linked, and it is wrong of you to link them. Why are you certain this happened as it is reported here? Many things about this sound fishy.

Being against the war is fine. Jumping on any incident and assuming its truth because it fits your agenda is irresponsible.

This may have happened as reported, it may not have. It doesn't sound right to me, based on my experience in the Army.

I thought better of you than that.

Remember the POS John Murtha (no RIP from me) accusing the Marines of murder at Haditha.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Posing with the bodies is one thing. Not saying it's right and shouldn't be punished - and it will, but that's another ball park from kill squads.

What doesn't make sense to me about these kill squads is the Army ethos, at least as I understand it from my time in the service. The Army changed after Vietnam. I came in in 1982 and one of the things constantly discussed and drilled into our heads was that it was your responsibility to disobey an obviously illegal order. It's always possible to find people who will go off the charts and do wrong things. Of the men I served with, I certainly knew some and some NCOs who might have done some bad things. The problem though, is that I knew lots that wouldn't. So the chances of putting together some kind of civilian death squad and having enough people go along with it seems not likely to me. I wouldn't have done it and I know many, many NCOs who wouldn't have done it, so how did they get enough people to go along?

Now, some of you might bring up Abu Ghraib. I admit to being shocked when I first heard about it, and I thought the Army must have changed. This was because at the beginning it was barely reported that these "soldiers" were in the Reserve. Anyone from the regular Army who has worked with Reserve units will tell you that they aren't like regular Army units. They are a step up from civilians in uniform and their social structure as civilians has much more sway on their behavior than their military training.

The other misconception is that the military covers everything up. This is true to some degree. Local units try to keep things hidden, and it might go up the chain that way. Once, however, something gets to the attention of any of the various entities charged with investigating these things, it's hard to cover up. These investigators are into finding out, and they use all the methods and more that we criticize with civilian police.

They say they have a PFC who has confessed and is implicating others. It may turn out to be true. It also may turn out that they have something on HIM and he's implicating others.

Again, the photos are bad, and they'll be punished. But the death squad thing? I'll believe it when they prove it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Nothing suprises me within the Army "family" anymore. During the recruiting problems expirienced during the heighth of Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts, they were giving out waivers like candy. Many sub standard candidates were allowed to enlist. Many had criminal backgrounds and multiple offenses. Do the math, people get promoted and eventually assume leadership positions. How plausable is it that some unsavory personnel all gravitated to the same squad or platoon? Most patrols going out are led by E-6 Staff Sergeants who hold ultimate sway over their men. Compliance is very easy to obtain when you hold sway over every aspect of someones life. Officers rarely go out on these forays. Combat action results in badges and medals being awarded, rating stats being inflated and promotion opportunities enhanced. The Afghan people are just the victums in this whole absurd affair.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    if they killed them just to kill them, theres surely something wrong with these guys. if they were legitimate combatants and got killed during the course of combat, i dont see a problem with the picture taking. you should always be proud of what youve accomplished.

Top Bottom