• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have noticed in several pictures I have seen of American troops carrying AK's, 47 or 74 I don't know which but I'm curious of the rational, can someone explain?

I can't post any specific pictures but over a period of time I have seen several. Do they just like them better or what?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Something something more reliable than an m16 something something.

Funny story.

My very first Indy 1500 gun show. If had never seen most of those guns in real life before. I was at a table full of ak's and ARs.

Guy behind the table was talking to a guy. About how when he was shipped out. After they would engage with the enemy they would pick up their ak's bc they were more reliable and were much better than their m16s. Then he made a comment about how you could always just pick up a new ak from someone else after you ...you know.

I tuned the rest of the conversation out bc was trying to figure out how I being broke as hell could figure out how to get $300 for an ak.

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    think i read the ars were gettiing too dirty to run properly with the powder the army was using in the ammo, so alot of gis were using the aks because they would run dirty as sh** and still shoot.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There are some good podcasts with Jeff Kirkham explains that the army and green berets in particular wanted to develop a weapons platform for the 7.62x39 so they could use battlefield pickup ammo and mags. They tried the fancy ar47 route and then a cw5 sanctioned and oversaw testing at crane of the ak47 platform in the early 2000’s if I remember right. Anyway the army had never actually tested the AK and it turned out to be more reliable and more accurate than the several thousand dollar AR47 variants they were testing. He said he started carrying an AK to stop his indigenous forces from looking at him and thinking he was only better because of his fancy gear.

this I think is the podcast. Good listen

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Also worth noting that just bc a soldier has a pic of them with one doesn’t mean they used it. I found a Russian pocket pistol, 1st sgt confiscated that quickly and one of those AK sniper rifles (dragonov?). We found all kinds of stuff.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    It cost me over $275,000.00 for my divorce in loss income, housing, 2 Harleys, a small metal shop / business and a tubbed out S10. Well worth it.
    Too old to do that now unless I plan on working until I'm 90.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have noticed in several pictures I have seen of American troops carrying AK's, 47 or 74 I don't know which but I'm curious of the rational, can someone explain?

I can't post any specific pictures but over a period of time I have seen several. Do they just like them better or what?

A friend of mine was in the Army 40+ years ago.
    He told me of seeing guys qualifying with the AK47.
    I want to say it had something to do with them being in intelligence work.
    (I'll have to ask him next time I see him and have home refresh my memory)

If memory serves, it had something to do with being less detectable in enemy areas where the AK47 was the common weapon of the enemy.
    I'M SURE there's people here who know a lot more about this than I do who could chime in.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I may or may not have heard that some guys deployed in the most recent situation used aks because there wasn't paperwork related to shooting them. I'm not sure if that's accurate, like every payroll vehicle unofficially had one in it. There were definement plenty of stashes discovered and then posed with!

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    A friend of mine was in the Army 40+ years ago.
    He told me of seeing guys qualifying with the AK47.
    I want to say it had something to do with them being in intelligence work.
    (I'll have to ask him next time I see him and have home refresh my memory)

If memory serves, it had something to do with being less detectable in enemy areas where the AK47 was the common weapon of the enemy.
    I'M SURE there's people here who know a lot more about this than I do who could chime in.

Were those service members doing the SF Q Course to get familiar with foreign nation's weapon platforms?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Were those service members doing the SF Q Course to get familiar with foreign nation's weapon platforms?

I don't know.
    I just remember my friend when he was in the Army telling me something to the effect that some guys in intelligence were qualifying with AK's.

It's been 40+ years ago, but I'm still in touch with him.
    I'll ask him if he remembers this next time I talk to him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

We have long history of using foreign weapons since the War of Independence, but unless we have photos, hard to say.

Could be SOF. Could be LBGs working with SOF.

Could be cross training with allies. American troops photographed with G36s, G3s, AKs, MP5s is very common.

Could be foreign weapons training: https://www.militarytimes.com/2013/...rines-take-foreign-weapons-instructor-course/

If we have photos, context and patches, we can tell you what is LIKELY happening.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have long history of using foreign weapons since the War of Independence, but unless we have photos, hard to say.

Could be SOF. Could be LBGs working with SOF.

Could be cross training with allies. American troops photographed with G36s, G3s, AKs, MP5s is very common.

Could be LCpl Mack and PVT Snuffy posing with captured weapons because if I was 19 I would likely send Mary Jane the same photo.

Could be foreign weapons training: https://www.militarytimes.com/2013/...rines-take-foreign-weapons-instructor-course/

If we have photos, context and patches, we can tell you what is LIKELY happening.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I once had to patrol around our photographic facility with a broom stick ( we only had 1 M-16....no mag) I was willing to sweep with the enemy.........

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    It cost me over $275,000.00 for my divorce in loss income, housing, 2 Harleys, a small metal shop / business and a tubbed out S10. Well worth it.
    Too old to do that now unless I plan on working until I'm 90.
    Been down that road. Cost about the same for me too!
    I have good friend who's divorced as well...he states next time he feels like getting married he's gonna find a women he hates and buy her a house.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    T
    I may or may not have heard that some guys deployed in the most recent situation used aks because there wasn't paperwork related to shooting them. I'm not sure if that's accurate, like every payroll vehicle unofficially had one in it. There were definement plenty of stashes discovered and then posed with!
    that Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Battlefield pickup weapons and ammo require no accounting for rounds fired as long as the immediate senior NCO’s and LT are onboard.

Top Bottom