• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Confusion? If I'm confused, it's because of your disgraceful, demeaning, incorrect terminology of the profession - International Affairs Investigative Multimedia Reporters. "news media"? :dunno:. If you want to keep using the wrong terms, expect to be corrected by people who know better than you. IAIMRs are on the front line, defending your First Amendment rights, so you should at least have the respect to call them by their proper title.

And by the way, until you've served with the IAIMRs and know their battle, you have no right to comment on what constitutes a "story", and you clearly have no idea how one would get these "stories" "right". You just can't know, until you've been there with them. Your ignorance isn't your fault, and just because you're ignorant to IAIMRs, doesn't necessarily mean you're stupid.

Sound familiar? :)

When some IAIMRs post taking exception to my classification of them as "news media", I'll apologize. Are you appointing yourself to their ranks to take up their 'cause'? Because if you are, I've got another couple bones to pick.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I have read this thread and will dish out thumping's to anyone who called me a soldier. :xmad:

Jack Wagons!!

Go figure it was the Army guys defending my title. Reps inbound to all Soldiers.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Out of curiosity, what would the correct term be if you wanted to talk about a member of any branch of the military?

Many people who are not informed about these differences would use the term "soldier" for this purpose, which is not technically incorrect according to its traditional definition, but is clearly not ideal.

What would a better word be?

Service Member
    Military Personnel

Just two off the top

Armed Forces is very common as well.

Good answers, gents, thank you, and Steve, a good question, well phrased. When speaking of all, I'll typically use the generic for each branch, soldier, sailor, etc. or "servicemen and women" or some form of that.

I like the way y'all turned this thread from argument (over minutiae) into education and reasoned discussion. Well done! :ingo:

Except for this guy...

<sigh> There's one in every crowd. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    These "IAIMR"s to which you refer... personally, I've never heard that term. Because of that (coupled with the fact that a quick google of the term returned absolutely no results,) I'm going to presume for the sake of this discussion that you just made it up to make your point, which I see to be that IAIMRs are separate and on a different "level" than other reporters. As reporters (or Reporters), though, they are part of the media just as soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and coasties are each part of their own service, but are all part of the military. All US soldiers are US military, but not all US military are US soldiers. (and you can substitute any of the other service-specific terms in that sentence for "soldiers") This is much the same as all PD detectives are LEOs, but not all LEOs are detectives.

Hope that helps!
    Blessings,
    Bill

lol, Bill, thanks for all the analogies. I don't mind admitting that prior to this thread, I had no idea it was improper US military etiquette to call a Marine, or anyone other than a member of our Army, a soldier, but this is what I said the word "soldier" means to me -

I'm not the dictator of terms, but to me, ground troops equals soldiers. Airmen = troops who are in the air.

And this is the definision of the English word - Soldier.

a: one engaged in military service and especially in the army
    b: an enlisted man or woman
    c: a skilled warrior
    : a militant leader, follower, or worker

The image I saw was a bunch of guys dressed up like skilled warriors, ground troops, militant leaders and followers, one engaged in military service (body armor, rifles, shrapnel deflecting helmets, etc)...therefore I still say the people who raided the shop were soldiers.

We all speak English here right?

And of course I made up the fancy sounding news media name. I've been on INGO for like two years now. You haven't picked up on my constant dry, sarcastic analogies? People who consider themselves a special class, deserving of a special title, hijacking an English word and telling people THEY are using it incorrectly. I value their service more than I can say in words, but you don't get to just take over a word, say the dictionary is wrong, and exclusively use it to describe a specific, new thing.

I have read this thread and will dish out thumping's to anyone who called me a soldier. :xmad:

Jack Wagons!!

So that doesn't describe you then?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson

So that doesn't describe you then?

Not even close, its just easier to say Marine. It would take you hours of google searches to write the complete definition, just call a Marine Marine. If you just can't seam to grasp that I am sure any Marine will be glad to correct you.:D

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I value their service more than I can say in words, but you don't get to just take over a word, say the dictionary is wrong, and exclusively use it to describe a specific, new thing.

If you will not lend the simple courtesy of politely addressing them as their traditions dictate, and choose instead to argue over a dictionary definition and make accusations of hijacking the language, then no, you really don't value their service more than you can say in words.

:twocents:

Last edited:

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    according to the purpose of the USAF, set by the USAF, they have no jurisdiction to be kicking down doors on our dirt. the only arguement they have is that is what their stuff, which i see. i don't think politics should get in the way of people being able to get their stuff back. someone stole my guns and i'd raid them too.
    the marine corps is the only branch that would have powers to be able to do this, and about anything else, becuase the do jobs "as the President may direct"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And of course I made up the fancy sounding news media name. I've been on INGO for like two years now. You haven't picked up on my constant dry, sarcastic analogies? People who consider themselves a special class, deserving of a special title, hijacking an English word and telling people THEY are using it incorrectly. I value their service more than I can say in words, but you don't get to just take over a word, say the dictionary is wrong, and exclusively use it to describe a specific, new thing. ...

Your sarcasm in analogies didn't figure in to the discussion, IMHO. Did you ever see "A Few Good Men"? Do you recall when they were going down to Guantanamo Bay, someone commented "Be careful while you're down there.. they're fanatical."
    "About what?"
    "About being Marines."

And as crappy and arrogant as his attitude was portrayed in court, Jack Nicholson's Col. Jessup hit the nail squarely on the head... the freedoms we do have, as infringed as they are on a constant basis by others, are in large part protected by men on walls, and not to impugn the other services, there is a reason they call themselves "the few, the proud".

There was a man with whom I used to work, a paramedic and an RN. He's probably the most intelligent medical person I've ever met, with a ravenous thirst for knowledge. He also has something of an ego, what we in EMS often call a "para-god". The thing is, you can have an ego like that if you have the knowledge and skill to back it up, but otherwise, others watch and wait for that inevitable screw-up, however slight, and ride you for it. I never saw anyone ride him for anything. The point? Those people, who poke fun at themselves as "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children" have egos, true. They've earned the right to those egos, again, not to impugn the other services or those wearing their uniforms, but they sign up for a service that they know is going to put them on the front line of every conflict this nation enters.
    As you say, I respect their service very highly; one of my regrets is that I wasn't smart enough to sign up back when I was of an age to do so. I think it would have made a better man of me. The difference is that I don't question their self-satisfaction or the service they give. Special title? Yeah, I'd say they've earned the one they have.

Semper Fi, Marines.

Blessings,
    Bill

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Your sarcasm in analogies didn't figure in to the discussion, IMHO. Did you ever see "A Few Good Men"? Do you recall when they were going down to Guantanamo Bay, someone commented "Be careful while you're down there.. they're fanatical."
    "About what?"
    "About being Marines."

And as crappy and arrogant as his attitude was portrayed in court, Jack Nicholson's Col. Jessup hit the nail squarely on the head... the freedoms we do have, as infringed as they are on a constant basis by others, are in large part protected by men on walls, and not to impugn the other services, there is a reason they call themselves "the few, the proud".

There was a man with whom I used to work, a paramedic and an RN. He's probably the most intelligent medical person I've ever met, with a ravenous thirst for knowledge. He also has something of an ego, what we in EMS often call a "para-god". The thing is, you can have an ego like that if you have the knowledge and skill to back it up, but otherwise, others watch and wait for that inevitable screw-up, however slight, and ride you for it. I never saw anyone ride him for anything. The point? Those people, who poke fun at themselves as "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children" have egos, true. They've earned the right to those egos, again, not to impugn the other services or those wearing their uniforms, but they sign up for a service that they know is going to put them on the front line of every conflict this nation enters.
    As you say, I respect their service very highly; one of my regrets is that I wasn't smart enough to sign up back when I was of an age to do so. I think it would have made a better man of me. The difference is that I don't question their self-satisfaction or the service they give. Special title? Yeah, I'd say they've earned the one they have.

Semper Fi, Marines.

Blessings,
    Bill

I am only allowed one rep but I will send more when I recharge.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Warning, dry humor ahead:

When I was enlisted in the Navy, I was called airman instead of sailor plenty of times.

If fact, in my 4 years, I was called Seaman Recruit, Airman Recruit, Airman Apprentice, Airman, Petty Officer 3rd Class, and Petty Officer 2nd Class.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Army, Navy, USMfC, C.G., USAF, whether male or female or "Didn'tAskDon'tTellMe" all are considered soldiers.

no, they are not.

And members/veterans of damn near every branch spent the entire thread stating that.

and that reminds me...

the title of this thread states "U.S. Soldiers now raiding U.S. gun shops"

was there more than one shop raided?

Top Bottom