• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"Everywhere there is a working American there should be a union. We will not go away ever," said George McGregor a UAW Spokesperson.

Nice. There's only 5,000 people working at Toyota here in SW Indiana...

UAW Wants Toyota Workers To Join Union - TriStateHomePage.com

[/FONT]
    Reported by: Sarah Fortune

Unionizing Toyota, that's the goal of the United Auto Workers. The UAW got a new international president and he plans on influencing Toyota employees to join the union.
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Toyota has been manufacturing vehicles in the United States for 25-years. Officials say all of those years the UAW has been trying to get the auto giant unionized. "Everywhere there is a working American there should be a union. We will not go away ever," said George McGregor a UAW Spokesperson.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]UAW members are known for picketing outside non-union plants, handing out flyers and holding meetings. According to Toyota officials their efforts have not been successful. "We have excellent pay, our benefits are comparable to plants that are run by a union. It's up to the team members if they want a union or not," said Mike Goss Toyota Spokesperson.[/FONT]
    “[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I don't want a union because I like the face to face interaction. I like being able to have open communication between myself and the company I work for. I don't like the idea of third party involvement," said Antoine Dean a Toyota employee.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]UAW members elected Bob King as their new international president last week. King's comments indicate unionizing Toyota workers as one of his priorities. The UAW began in 1935, reports show in the 70's they had 1.5 million members. Now, their numbers have dwindled to around $600,000. Some Toyota officials believe this is why the plant is being targeted. They say, when Toyota chose to locate in Princeton in 1995 they knew it was a union friendly area.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Plant officials say they have no policy against unions it's up to the work force. So far, Toyta's 30,000 U.S. workers are choosing not to unionize. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Many workers at General Motors, Ford and Chrysler are part of the UAW. Non-union auto makers include, BMW, Honda, and Toyota.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not enough of your own personal commentary. I suggest you work on that.

Nothing says we're (the unions, that is) becoming irrelevant like trying to prove how relevant you really are. Unions, and the UAW in particular, are cannibalizing themselves, though I don't think they know it. Their legalized extortion is a major contributing factor to putting their employers out of business. I still haven't figured out how putting yourself out of job is a benefit of being in the union.

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Ugh. The unions drive me crazy. I'm always amazed at how many really great guys (and gals) can be part of something so messed up. What a waste of so many resources (time, money, etc.).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    IF it happens...and I don't think it will...

But imagine if Mr. Toyoda decides to say: "If you unionize, we will close the factory."

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Look at the Union Made vs Non Union Made cars. The Unions are self serving and only care about the Unions. With the Messiah in the Unions back pocket I'm sure that there will be plenty of things going the Union's way before he's out of office.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The last time the union tried a vote in a Japenese-American plant, they got sent home with no votes. King is an idiot.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I hope Toyota and the fine folks that made my Tundra here in Indiana tell the UAW to go pound sand.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The UAW is a joke. When things were going great, they would have told my transportation oriented company to pound sand if we asked them to come in. When they started losing members, they tried to unionize my plant. They didn't get the votes. We've had at least 5 union drives and all of them have failed. Thank GOD! We'd never have survived if we did.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    unions had a time and a place, now all they do is drive up prices. I can only imagine how much money corporations have to bleed out to unions behind closed doors.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I imagine this has already been said behind closed doors.

I hope. Only thing is, Toyota is also looking at their bottom line. If closing a plant would hurt that, on the heels of a bunch of idiotic panic gas-pedal recalls and short sales...then who knows.

But, still, I hope.

The UAW is a joke. When things were going great, they would have told my transportation oriented company to pound sand if we asked them to come in. When they started losing members, they tried to unionize my plant. They didn't get the votes. We've had at least 5 union drives and all of them have failed. Thank GOD! We'd never have survived if we did.

SIA?

unions had a time and a place, now all they do is drive up prices. I can only imagine how much money corporations have to bleed out to unions behind closed doors.

It's not so much how much money they pay the unions... Doesn't really work like that. Their members are the ones that are paying for it, not the companies themselves.

It's not even wages that hurt the companies. You'll find VERY similar wages between a GM worker and a Honda employee.

What ends up hurting the unionized company the most are insurance costs and "legacy costs".

A former 40-year GM employee, who's know a whopping 58/ years old can certainly live for another30+ years. And their retirement/pension/insurance costs are astronomical.

A goodly portion of these post-retirement benefits were initiated in a time when folks lived, generally, ~10 years post-retirement.

That hasn't been the case for 30 years or better. But despite the changing times, Unions, especially unions like the UAW, "force" companies to continue this antiquated system. (Yes, I'm fully aware that BOTH sides agree to the contract)

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And another thing:

IF, and it's a BIG IF, the Princeton, IN Toyta plant does vote in a union... I think it'd also be poetic justice if the company then decided to fire the amt. of people that voted for the union.

Say that 1748 out of 3000 people voted "yes". Therefore, 1748 people will be selected, at random, to have their positions terminated beginnning 30 days from now. You can indeed have another vote to REALLY decide if you want a union.

The only problem with this scenario, as well as "close the plant" scenario is that it greatly affects those who vote "no" as well.

-J-

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    <strike>GM</strike> err... UAW wants Toyota to unionize.

To what benefit for the Toyota workers? I have family and family friends who work for Toyota here in Columbus. Some are blue collar and two are white collar vehicles.

The blues make a pretty decent wage.. one is younger than me and makes enough to help support his disabled parents. They aren't rich but unionizing the plants will NEVER benefit him. He makes good money, shows up to work on time and they reward him hundreds of dollars worth of gift cards on him for never missing a day of work for something like 4 or 5 years.

The white collar worker I know has worked there for several years and is given a company car, a seemingly decent wage and a lot of vacation.

UAW wants to be paid and nothing more... they don't care if it is at the expense of the worker or plant. Another fine piece of self-serving crap.

That being said, and having mentioned this in several other threads, I have benefited greatly from the DWU here in Columbus. Times are different now, though.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A friend of mine who is well placed in GM says that they have to take approx $2K from every car sold to pay for retired workers benefits!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    My first job when I got out of the service was with Toyota Industrial Equipment in Columbus. I was a forklift mast welder. It was a nice place to work. Good, clean, safe working conditions. At one time there was hint that the UAW was holding super secret meetings at the Holiday Inn in Columbus. Some guys would attend, I didn't. I had a good job and I didn't want the union to screw it up. The management caught wind of the meetings and began comming out on the production more often asking how things were going and if there anything Toyota could do to improve my job. They were in a state of panic. At one time there was a time and place for the unions. I do not believe they fight for the employees best interests.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    OK, I'm going to add my thoughts. I feel somewhat qualified. I worked for a Japanese transplant for 9 years and went to work for Chrysler for 9 before going back to the afore mentioned transplant.

I guess that gives me some point of reference.

The unions are a good thing for OUTSIDE trades such as Ironworker's, Electricians, Millwrights etc for many reasons including the health and safety and overall quality of work as well as pay and bennies.

HOWEVER a factory union, the UAW in particular may have started out as a good idea and in theory can be help-full, is a joke.

The union stewards will readily admit they spend 95% of their time and trouble with 5% of the workforce. I have seen people so drunk or stoned at work they could not stand. I have seen members tell supervisors to "bugger off,, please fire me so I can have a weeks paid vacation!". Ive seen things that just make you shake your head. BUT the vast majority never need to use the union grievance policy but to often the ones who did got their grievance traded off to get a dirt bag their job back. The union and company sit down and basically do a hostage swap type thing sometimes.

At the non Union shop I have seen stuff that should never happen as well. Managers who cant pour urine out of a boot forcing us to do ignorant things. A company that will rewrite policy in a instant if it benefits them. Raises? We will get back to you.

The union is great for negotiating pay and benefits and health and safety issues.
    IF a union could stay out of politics, prevent cronyism and force the rank and file to follow the rules. As in if a emp is fired for a good reason they stay fired and still hold the companies feet to the fire when needed. Then it would be a good thing.

IF a company would enact work rules that are more in line with union shops and stick to them even when the rules dont suit the momentary whim of a supervisor or management including discipline and the ability to target employees who may do their jobs just fine but speak out on issues.

One of the VERY BIGGEST problems with the UAW is the international. Those guys are nothing but scum. The rank and file cant vote for them as they are "anointed" by the elected stewards and officers in the locals. They will come in and run over the locals if the local is trying to do the right thing for its members. This is where the demtards try to use union dues to support labor criminals,,er I mean candidates.

Its a complicated issue and IF the local had over riding authority over the international AND was run by the local emps who were more interested in their issues than the vermin in Detroit, it COULD work. But thats not likely.

The bottem line for me is IF a union would focus on the rank and file and not politics and union dues I would be more receptive. IF a company would be consistant and fair in all cases there would be no need for a union. There are thousands of workeres who are like the zebra in the herd. As long as they get fed and the lion doesnt get them screw the ones who get eaten.

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I don't have any issue with the unions but I do believe that in some cases it is best to leave a place alone. It seems the Toyota plants pay a good wage and are safe and well taken care of so I am not sure what the real reason to unionize is. Many places are still hell holes even today and they can benefit from it but many people need to realize that it is not that hard to pick up and move somewhere else if a company is feeling pressure. Look at China and Mexico for two good examples.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The UAW has certainly helped make the American auto makers great successes.

My Dad was a member in Kokomo. He always said the Unions had their place but had gotten way out of control He said they protected people that should have been fired. THey did not care if the Company that was employing them stayed in business, which made no sense. Plus they were too tied in to the Democrat party (He was a lifelong Republican).

Top Bottom