• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Disclaimer: I don't follow UFC and only recognize the names of a few fighters that I have heard in passing.

Was Rousey not that good to begin with, did her skills deteriorate over a year's time or did the competition just get a lot better and pass her by?

It just seems like a pretty rapid fall from champion to losing in 48 seconds over about a year's time.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Competition caught up to her, and she has gone away from her best skills. Her last two fights, she tried to stand and out punch opponents with superior striking. Instead of playing to her strength, she's tried to beat them at their own game and paid for it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Disclaimer: I don't follow UFC and only recognize the names of a few fighters that I have heard in passing.

Was Rousey not that good to begin with, did her skills deteriorate over a year's time or did the competition just get a lot better and pass her by?

It just seems like a pretty rapid fall from champion to losing in 48 seconds over about a year's time.
    Basically the sport evolved and she didn't evolve with it.
    A very respected local trainer in all things martial arts/self defense broke it down on FB well
    Mick Williams
    "So as commentary on Ronda's performance last as ran through my feed today, it has got me thinking about "How would I coach her?" One of the thoughts that has came to mind as I've ran through that mental exercise is the unique challenges of converting a high caliber modern Olympic Judo athlete into an MMA fighter.My initial assessment last night was that Ronda doesn't like getting punched in the face, and I think it still holds some merit. But I spent some time watching her Judo matches. Her boxing stance has changed very little from her Judo posture, which was to stand tall head high and fight grips. This is terrible in boxing/MMA/kickboxing. Her reaction to hands coming at her was to posture up and back up, exactly what she would do to defend collar grips. Which opens her to punches. She is fighting 20 plus years of habit in there along with her opponent.I believe the conversation of an Olympic Judo athlete who has no wrestling or boxing background at all to MMA may be tougher athlete for a coach. Wrestling and boxing stances share more commonality and are easier to crossover into. Thus the athlete can gets comfortable quicker with the new tool set.Just an initial thought."[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Two elite strikers exposed Rousey's severe weakness in her last two bouts. She can't hang with top level strikers. Looks to me like nothing changed in Rousey's game from her loss to Holm.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    In my mind preparing for a big fight you have to study the strengths/weaknesses of your opponent. And try to apply either one of those in the fight. It was obvious that Ronda nor her coach did that. I wish Ronda all the best.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    Competition caught up to her, and she has gone away from her best skills. Her last two fights, she tried to stand and out punch opponents with superior striking. Instead of playing to her strength, she's tried to beat them at their own game and paid for it.

I agree 100%. I really question her coaches(or maybe her own stubborness whichever is the case) when she has tried to stand up and punch with world class strikers in her past two fights. She should have been looking to take Nunez and Holm to the ground where her advantage is. She had a good run but I think it's probably time for her to move on to her next career in holywood or WWE.

Top Bottom