• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Judging a players ability based on sexual orientation alone I see. Whatever happened to content of character, or in this case solely their ability to perform a task?

This is small potatoes........ we elected a president twice over based on the same criteria (you decide).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There are some things which were so well known that even someone like me who absolutely does not care in the least about football would know them. At the top of that list is that while Dungy was coaching the Colts, you may recall that while the Pacers were on the revolving door in and out of jail, the Colts were bending the knee in prayer. It was a common bond that helped build the team. Dungy was wise enough to understand the importance of what the decidedly irreligious SEAL Marcinko called 'unit integrity'. It seems that both men proved the value of the concept. I will agree with Dungy that if you build the type of team he built with the foundation it was built on, letting a freak flag-flying drama queen in the door, and one of dubious talent at that, could undo all the work previously placed in building team unity. I would also see a hard time making the same types of legal argument found in other forms of employment given that the NFL draft is a highly discriminatory and arbitrary process, and one in which those who stand to be hired are going to be hired by someone, just a matter of whom and how highly favored they are by those doing the bidding.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    if the media hadn't made the story about his sexual orientation. Then he would have been graded and drafted according to his skill, no problem.

but they did, wherever he plays the story won't be about the team, game, schedule, or even individual plays, but him.

no team wants a drama magnet.

Every press conference, availability will be about him and how they feel about playing the game with him, have you changed your habits in the locker room due to him?

I foresee a lot of free agents from the team due to not being able to get any press about themselves.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Say a coach said he wouldn't draft Tebow because of the attendant drama to skill ratio. Would there be this great public wringing of hands?

Thats exactly why he was traded from the Broncos after going 7-2 and getting into the playoffs. And the drama with the Jets.

ill say it again.....teams don't like drama magnets

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Now the media is crawling all over Tony Dungys ass and giving him an anal exam. (puns intended)

Why doesn't Dungy tell these politically correct idiots pull up their big boy panties and get bent?!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I submit, that if it was not for his sexual orientation, he would never have been drafted.

I'm no expert, but I've heard people more knowledgeable than me say exactly that.

I went back and read the article again. I cannot fault Dungy for not wanting a distraction on his team. Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I would like to see a pure meritocracy in employment matters including the NFL. If he can play, he should play, but that leaves out the ever present media pressure and the matter of keeping 50+ young and relatively young men (with disposable cash) focused intently on their tasks. That can't be easy in the best of circumstances.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Wow, a football coach doesn't want the Oprah Winfrey Network doing a documentary on a fringe player? I was willing to give Michael Sam the benefit of the doubt until he agreed to that show with Oprah that would document his experiences as the first openly gay NFL player. It will be a media circus around Michael Sam and the Rams. That is what Dungy would have wanted to avoid. This is the same crap that teams had to put up with Tim Tebow. In the NFL success is measured by winning and losing, not being at the center of social debates. Had Sam came out openly but quietly (not calling a press conference), or never agreed to the Oprah Show, teams wouldn't have been as hesitant to give him a shot.

If Michael Sam had the talent of Jadaveon Clowney, all 32 teams in the league would have been willing to deal with the mess. Teams put up with crap from guys like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, and Chad Ochocinco because they were premier players at their position. Once those guys started declining, it's not hard to see why they couldn't find work.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I doubt few people want to play professional anything for the sake of their respective sport. It's all about the show. That and the paycheck. Take away the spotlight and/or the paycheck and most of the players wouldn't even bother.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Of Dungy thinks, if the situation was in his lap, he wouldn't want to "deal with the drama", then that's HIS opinion and HIS choice.

Could care less if Michael Sam is gay or not. However, if it played in 'his favor' being selected, it's JUST as wrong as if it was held against him.

Further, ALL questions by ANY sports reporter / reported concerning Sam's sexual orientation should be banned from the locker room. And Sam should be prohibited from addressing the issue of it, just as Christians and pro-religious players are.

If 'we can't talk about' our religious or heterosexual persuasion because 'it's politically incorrect', then the only fair thing is that NO ONE gets to talk about ANY of it. Period.

Time to start confronting and (verbally) 'bashing' the liberal loons who, for years now, have been constantly and consistently doing exactly that to those don't agree with their liberal lunacy.

"Line in the sand" and all that... :yesway:

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Jackie Robinson was a distraction.
    Yup with JacKie's Oprah show, tonguing his partner on TV, and all.... Totally the same thing as being black.

Plus, we are lynching, siccing police dogs on, fire hosing, beating, and not letting gays vote today, aren't we?

Tim Tebow is a vastly closer comparison, but just not politically convenient for some.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thats exactly why he was traded from the Broncos after going 7-2 and getting into the playoffs. And the drama with the Jets.

ill say it again.....teams don't like drama magnets
    Well, except for convicted felon Michael Vick. Dungy liked him AFTER the dog fighting was brought to light. Talk about a negative publicity and baggage but they overlooked that. Frankly, the NFL is full of "drama magnets" but many continue to play. While they may get cut by one team for their actions, many times they get picked up by another. No one seems to care about the lawless, just the gayness.
    NFL Arrests Database | UTSanDiego.com

The NFL is a business, if Sam is not as good as the sportcasters claim, he will not last. NO TEAM will play a player who doesn't get the job done (within their budget) and he will get dropped. Time will tell.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Well, except for convicted felon Michael Vick. Dungy liked him AFTER the dog fighting was brought to light. Talk about a negative publicity and baggage but they overlooked that. Frankly, the NFL is full of "drama magnets" but many continue to play. While they may get cut by one team for their actions, many times they get picked up by another. No one seems to care about the lawless, just the gayness.
    NFL Arrests Database | UTSanDiego.com

The NFL is a business, if Sam is not as good as the sportcasters claim, he will not last. NO TEAM will play a player who doesn't get the job done (within their budget) and he will get dropped. Time will tell.

I would say that post-prison Michael Vick is far less of a drama magnet than when he began his career. Would you agree?

Top Bottom