• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Another vehicle every prepper needs, yet I haven't seen talked about at all, is a bike. Preferably a mountain bike. I have a Cannondale for myself, a K2 for the GF. Complete with saddle bags and all.

Don't underestimate the value of a bicycle. You can cover a lot of ground quickly, carry 50% of your weight, and it runs on biofuel (you). They are cheap to upkeep, impervious to EMPs, allow you to outrun zombies, and cheap to operate.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have a little 49cc scooter that took gets me some ridiculous mpg (I forget exactly - close to 100 mpg I think) and I can lift it by hand and put it in the back of my truck. I bought it when I thought I was going to lose my license for a while. Kept the license but had a hard time selling the scooter. It's a hoot and would be a good little scouting tool without burning up a ton of gas.

Sure it's no good without gas and won't carry much but I'll throw it in the back of the truck to bring along

Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    An excellent idea. But I might suggest a recumbent trail bike, as it give you a more upright seating position (so you can keep an eye on what's going on around you) and allows you to aim at a target easier, just in case.

Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    Here's a link to a YouTube video that kind of shows what I'm talking about:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekefr3xH3y8]YouTube - recumbent mountain ride - off road on AZUB recumbent[/ame]

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    A bike is a great idea as well as horses but I live it town so that is a no go here. Horses are a great double duty animal as you can ride them or use them for labor such as pulling tree limbs or a plow. Also, a worst case scenario would be that the horses would provide some good meat if you have no other means. Personally, a bike would be great for me and I overlooked it in my preps so it will be time to hit some rummage sales to check on one here soon.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    i would suggest one modification. I had a couple of mountain bikes that I liked to ride for different reasons. One in particular I bought for a song (not literally) but was a fairly high end bike so I could justify tearing it up (or trying to). On the one I used to test my ability without regard to the welfare of the bike I replaced the front sprocket for one that was not built for speed but rather WAY over engineered. This allowed it to be used and abused when hopping/climbing over stumps and downed trees. It took a fairly substantial obstacle for me not to confidently be able to get over it without much of a break in stride.

Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    a high center of gravity, short wheel base 'bent. not really a great bike for beginners, you would want to be comfortable on it before you need it.

Recumbents generally have a lower center of gravity than "normal" bikes. The shorter the wheelbase, the more maneuverable the bike (i.e. quicker turns). You're right . . . they're not for beginners, but it took me about 5 minutes to get comfortable on the first short wheelbase recumbent I rode, and I went 12 miles with no difficulty at all. In fact, after that, I bought 2 of them (one for me; one for wife). We generally will go 25+ miles without problems.

A recumbent trike might even be better, since you would be very low to the ground with no possibility of tipping over (unless you're taking a turn at about 30 mph!). I hope that my next bike is a recumbent trike.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    A recumbent trike might even be better, since you would be very low to the ground with no possibility of tipping over (unless you're taking a turn at about 30 mph!). I hope that my next bike is a recumbent trike.
    i have a sun trike, and the derailer is only a couple of inches off the pavement. i would think that a tadpole trike (one wheel in back, two in front) would do better on rough off road, the delta's usually have only one of the back wheels powered, and will slip in any gravel.

Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    a high center of gravity, short wheel base 'bent. not really a great bike for beginners, you would want to be comfortable on it before you need it.

Most bents have a lower center of gravity than a "normal" bike. Yes, you need to get comfortable on it, but that usually only takes about 10 minutes. After that, it's just practice, practice, practice.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sorry for the necro.

Slap some flat black on this and BOIS (bug out in style).

original.jpg

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    bushbike.jpg

trip on a stone ... fall
    Wipe out on bike hitting same stone...fail
    E&E doesn't include 10-speed training for a reason lol