Un autre fusil français (Another French Rifle)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ouch... that is some serious pitting, but a good gunsmith should be able to tell you if it has compromised the safety of the gun. Hopefully not, but you do still have the wall hanger option if so.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Indy1919a4 and I took our Berthiers down to Martinsville for some range time today. (The new little carbine is a hoot!) My two on top, his 3 on the bottom... The carbine in the middle (his) is actually a .22! He didn't tell me that either. He loaded it up and handed it to me and just said, "Here this is ready to go. It's got quite a kick!" Needless to say, I was not expecting the little "pop" when I pulled the trigger. I thought it was a dud round or something! :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It did pretty well at 100 yards John, but at 200 and 300 it was a little inconsistent. Or maybe it was me. :): Whole lotta fun to shoot though!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Those are great looking rifles! Also, thanks Sylvain for the world history and culture lesson.

The rifle in the OP really does look like someone had a saber and realized "hey, I bet I could attach a rifle to this thing" et voila.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    That's a whole lotta fun! I got mine apart on monday but haven't had time to post the pics. The pitting doesn't get any worse under the stock but Im going to have a gunsmith take a look. Anyone know of a good smith? I was thinking Highsmith in Greenfield.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's a whole lotta fun! I got mine apart on monday but haven't had time to post the pics. The pitting doesn't get any worse under the stock but Im going to have a gunsmith take a look. Anyone know of a good smith? I was thinking Highsmith in Greenfield.
    Just sent you a PM with some gunsmith info. :)

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Tiens, voilà du boudin

So DD you have had the chance to shoot some of the great Battle Rifles of the Great World War, Berthiers, Enfield Mk IIIs, Mausers, Mosins, Carcanos, M95s and the 1903a3... How do you stack them up to each other...pros and cons of each???

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Tiens, voilà du boudin

So DD you have had the chance to shoot some of the great Battle Rifles of the Great World War, Berthiers, Enfield Mk IIIs, Mausers, Mosins, Carcanos, M95s and the 1903a3... How do you stack them up to each other...pros and cons of each???

I hope he isn't shooting that '03....Kind of dangerous with that broken safety.......:hehe:

And don't give me any guff DD....I have not mentioned that in nearly four months...Of course I was laid up for one of those months so......:)

Did you all ask the Berthiers if they knew where Obama was REALLY born????

Hey DD...The wife was rooting through the cash drawer and saw that Canadian Dollar and said, "What's this doing in here?" I tried to explain and she told me to quit being such an a-hole to my customers...

I then told her it doesn't bother you too much because you keep making that drive all the way down from Canada...

She then told me to quit being an a-hole to her....:)

She just doesn't understand gun guy humor....

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Hey DD...The wife was rooting through the cash drawer and saw that Canadian Dollar and said, "What's this doing in here?" I tried to explain and she told me to quit being such an a-hole to my customers...

All Kidding aside, you (as a fun loving male) have a great Joke that has been going on for years, You laugh, the poor dumb SOB you are doing it too laughs, Everyone seems to enjoy it.... You tell new people you bump into about the gag, They Laugh.. a good time is had by all.. Laughter fills your soul

Then like a fool you tell your Spouse, You know in the back of your mind you shouldn't, But you say, "Hey everyone loves it, I will share with my dearest soul mate". And as you finish, there is no Laugh, no hearty chuckle. you would even settle for a half assed smile.. There is just that look of disgust... (The same look you would get if you had just soiled yourself)... Then you are brutally reminded to grow up.. :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Tiens, voilà du boudin

That's a tough question. I like them all! But if I had to, I would probably rank them as follows:

1) 1903
    2) Enfield
    3) Mauser*
    4) Mosin
    5) Berthier
    6) M95
    7) Carcano

*Mauser and Enfield tie really, but I like some Mausers better than others... too many variations to really pick one, but the Swede Mauser would rank above the Enfield.
    As for pros and cons, too many to list. This list is just my personal preference as far as shooting them goes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hope he isn't shooting that '03....Kind of dangerous with that broken safety.......:hehe:

And don't give me any guff DD....I have not mentioned that in nearly four months...Of course I was laid up for one of those months so......:)

Did you all ask the Berthiers if they knew where Obama was REALLY born????

I then told her it doesn't bother you too much because you keep making that drive all the way down from Canada...

She then told me to quit being an a-hole to her....:)

She just doesn't understand gun guy humor....

It doesn't have a broken safety. It has a DOUBLE safety. To paraphrase a classic line from Spinal Tap, "It's one safer, isn't it?" :D

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That's a tough question. I like them all! But if I had to, I would probably rank them as follows:

1) 1903
    2) Enfield
    3) Mauser*
    4) Mosin
    5) Berthier
    6) M95
    7) Carcano

*Mauser and Enfield tie really, but I like some Mausers better than others... too many variations to really pick one, but the Swede Mauser would rank above the Enfield.
    As for pros and cons, too many to list. This list is just my personal preference as far as shooting them goes.

You like the Bethiers over the Carcano...???? why???? The Carcano has more ammo per clip, The bolt is easily removable??? Now the 8mm Lebel round is much more manlier when you compare it to the 6.5mm carcano round but still...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You like the Bethiers over the Carcano...???? why???? The Carcano has more ammo per clip, The bolt is easily removable??? Now the 8mm Lebel round is much more manlier when you compare it to the 6.5mm carcano round but still...
    The round is certainly part of it. But also aesthetics. I just think Berthiers are purty! :)

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Awesome photo of Berthiers in the Hands of Polish Troops in the Wee Hours of WW II

I think the Kid is asking "Your kidding me .. only 3 shots??? Come one "

tumblr_n749ouzINd1spwf52o1_1280.jpg

Top Bottom