• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    In college and in debt by the thousands, it makes it difficult to spend a good chunk of money on supplies needed to be prepared.

Is it worth taking out a school loan currently to get more supplies? I'm tired of worrying and it's been putting a pretty heavy strain on me lately.

Any ideas would be great. I've had a hard time selling anything as people are not buying, and the items I need are the expensive ones.

I don't have anything currently, and want to put together a case that I can put in the back of my SUV to be completely prepared.

I want to do it right, and that means spending a bit of money.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Being unprepared is a bad thing, but being in debt is even worse. One of the smartest things anyone can do to be prepared for major upheaval is to be debt-free or as close to it as you can. Living frugally is probably the best survival skill there is.

Maybe with more planning you can re-evaluate just how much stuff you really need.

These guys have a very well-thought out website regarding disaster/survival preparedness
    BACKPACK SURVIVAL
    THE Message
    In particular, they have a well reasoned critique of the "bug out" concept.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    In college and in debt by the thousands, it makes it difficult to spend a good chunk of money on supplies needed to be prepared.

Is it worth taking out a school loan currently to get more supplies? I'm tired of worrying and it's been putting a pretty heavy strain on me lately.

Any ideas would be great. I've had a hard time selling anything as people are not buying, and the items I need are the expensive ones.

I don't have anything currently, and want to put together a case that I can put in the back of my SUV to be completely prepared.

I want to do it right, and that means spending a bit of money.

IMO, I wouldn't borrow any more student loan money.
    Creative bartering may be an option.
    You could trade your skills or unwanted goods.
    You didn't mention any specific items that you were looking for.
    Have you got a list?
    There may be some folks here with extras that could help you out.
    You may also be able to improvise with less expensive items.

MichianaBUYSELLTRADE, FreeCycle, and Craigs List are good places to post
    want ads.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Water is cheap
    beans are cheap
    TP is cheap
    Rice is cheap
    tarps are cheap
    your car is a shelter
    you have winter gear since you live in indiana

do you have those completed yet

1.Water
    2.Shelter
    3.Food
    4.Fire

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Knowledge is another one of those things that can be had without money, books at the library are free, online, and helping a friend do a task that you haven't done before. There are a lot of things that can be done as the above post state. The biggest is making a list of list, figuring out what you need and prioritizing based on ability and resources. Hiking and camping are cheap training around here and gets you in shape. Point is, there are a lot of things that you can do, don't get caught in "analysis paralysis" and overwhelmed by what you can't do, but rather energized by what you can do. I think that will help your mental state a whole lot more in an event. I know that I struggle with this all the time. And what those guys said about debt, I gotta agree, right now it's something that weighs on me, and has to be a part of my plan to prepare.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Knowledge is another one of those things that can be had without money, books at the library are free, online, and helping a friend do a task that you haven't done before. There are a lot of things that can be done as the above post state. The biggest is making a list of list, figuring out what you need and prioritizing based on ability and resources. Hiking and camping are cheap training around here and gets you in shape. Point is, there are a lot of things that you can do, don't get caught in "analysis paralysis" and overwhelmed by what you can't do, but rather energized by what you can do. I think that will help your mental state a whole lot more in an event. I know that I struggle with this all the time. And what those guys said about debt, I gotta agree, right now it's something that weighs on me, and has to be a part of my plan to prepare.

:+1: Good Advice -repped

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Well he said it up there. Getting through winter here means having the basics down. Besides normal stuff from your home. I suggest a good handgun and rifle combo, A good multi tool and knife, an AX, a fishing pole, And your basic water beans and rice. Lets face it from the center of down town if you drive 30-45 minits in any direction you will find a corn-field....lol critters woods and food.
    If SHTF ill be having squirrel that night....lol

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Use the $5 or $10 a week system.
    It's on here some where or PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you.
    Simple easy and anyone can do it.
    Use old 2 liter soda bottles for water. (We use the Gatorade jugs).
    Recycle and preps all in one.
    Watch for sales and Clearance items at Wally world for backpacks etc.

My kerosene heater is a wal-mart clearance item $50
    Gas Grill $20 with propane bottle
    Garage propane heater $30

get with a friend and split an order from sportsmans guide.
    Insulated canteens 20 for $20, Ponchos 5 for $15

I'm prepping for 5 on a budget.
    I sell my extra stuff or things that don't work for me here all the time.
    Lots of bargains if you look.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    You have the rest of your life to pay debt off. Get what you NEED now, as there may not be a chance in the future. If SHTF the last thing you'll need to worry about is paying off a stundent loan. Heck, my first student loan I got I cashed the check at thre local gun store and got a HK91, yep, check was for $943.00 or something like that and I got a HK91, several mags and a few hundred rounds of ammo. ( I am showing my age here.)
    As I said above, get what you NEED, not what you want. I fear SHTF may be just right around the corner.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Quick and easy preps...

Find someone with a costco or sams club membership (I'll get you in on my card if you are around this area) and buy a 50 pound bag of rice. $20 bucks.

Get empty 2 liter bottles. It'll take about 20 IIRC to hold 50 pounds of rice. Rice will store in the sack for 2 years. In the 2liters 10 years+.

Wash 2 liter bottles well. Allow PLENTY of time for them to dry completely. Fill with 99cent walmart funnel. When it gets full "tap" it on the floor and it'll pack down and this serves to not just fit more rice, but eliminate extra air.

Salt. While at Costco/Sams buy 5-10 pounds of salt (salt is about $1 a pound). Should SHTF salt will be like was in Jesus' time. Very valuable. From seasioning to preserving and some medicinal value. Fill a couple of 2liters with it.

Dried Beans. Red, Black, pinto... in bulk you can get it for under 50cents a pound. again, 2 liter bottles.

Rice and beans form a "perfect" mixture of getting basically every nutrient you need to survive and stay healthy for a very long time. The salt allows seasoining and if you find some wild game you can pickle it or whatnot with the salt.

BAM! You got yourself survival on the cheap food related. I calculated 50 pounds of rice once for one person and it was 1,200 calories a day for 45 days give or take few. Throw in 8 ounces of dried beans a day it jumps to 2,000 a day for 45 days depending on what beans you buy.

45 days of 2,000 calories a day for about 30 bucks. May not be glorious, but you'll eat and be fairly full while others starve.

FYI You can get a free day pass at costco and sams club once a year IIRC. So if you don't know anyone, go that route. Just make sure when you go in you have as much CASH on you as you can. No credit cards in them and since you aren't a member I don't know if you can use a debit card or not.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Quick and easy preps...

Find someone with a costco or sams club membership (I'll get you in on my card if you are around this area) and buy a 50 pound bag of rice. $20 bucks.

Get empty 2 liter bottles. It'll take about 20 IIRC to hold 50 pounds of rice. Rice will store in the sack for 2 years. In the 2liters 10 years+.

Wash 2 liter bottles well. Allow PLENTY of time for them to dry completely. Fill with 99cent walmart funnel. When it gets full "tap" it on the floor and it'll pack down and this serves to not just fit more rice, but eliminate extra air.

Salt. While at Costco/Sams buy 5-10 pounds of salt (salt is about $1 a pound). Should SHTF salt will be like was in Jesus' time. Very valuable. From seasioning to preserving and some medicinal value. Fill a couple of 2liters with it.

Dried Beans. Red, Black, pinto... in bulk you can get it for under 50cents a pound. again, 2 liter bottles.

Rice and beans form a "perfect" mixture of getting basically every nutrient you need to survive and stay healthy for a very long time. The salt allows seasoining and if you find some wild game you can pickle it or whatnot with the salt.

BAM! You got yourself survival on the cheap food related. I calculated 50 pounds of rice once for one person and it was 1,200 calories a day for 45 days give or take few. Throw in 8 ounces of dried beans a day it jumps to 2,000 a day for 45 days depending on what beans you buy.

45 days of 2,000 calories a day for about 30 bucks. May not be glorious, but you'll eat and be fairly full while others starve.

FYI You can get a free day pass at costco and sams club once a year IIRC. So if you don't know anyone, go that route. Just make sure when you go in you have as much CASH on you as you can. No credit cards in them and since you aren't a member I don't know if you can use a debit card or not.

Good Smart Food Preps on the Cheap :rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lets face it from the center of down town if you drive 30-45 minits in any direction you will find a corn-field....lol critters woods and food.
    If SHTF ill be having squirrel that night....lol

What makes you think people from the country won't be driving 30-45 minits to sit in your living room and eat your food stores?

What is it that makes people in Indianapolis think they are going to sit up there in the city all their lives, keep the good jobs all to their self, lobby all the government lackeys day and night in Indianapolis for their benefit and then as soon as SHTF they think they will just take a little drive out to some one else's "corn field" and set up a squatters camp. Throw a little picnic.

I've said it before and I'll remind ya again here because I don't fire warning shots, the power goes out or I have any reason to think there's a remote chance S is H'ing T F and I see any one on my property after dark they are likely to be in a hole by daylight. If I already know them enough to recognise them right away they better still keep their hands where I can see them and be hailing the house when I see them, not sniffing around the barn or back of the house.

You city boys made yer bed in Indy..., don't think for a minute you'll be camp'n out in MY garden just because a little SHTF up there.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Well you have the First thing you need for survival already, and it comes pre-equipped right on top of your shoulders.

Remember that having supplies is having supplies that other people want. a week of food and a bottle of iodine is all you need. Rice, beans, ramen and a pot.
    iodine will Clean everything from wounds to water. it will even keep you trucking for a week or two to help after radiation exposure.

if you don't live on campus then get a simple shotgun (i picked up a used rem 870 for 200 bucks) and it will serve as a perfect universal weapon. if you wanna splurge a cheap .22 or .17 hmr is all you need for varmints or small stray domestics (Fido next door looks pretty tasty if your hungry)

But all this stuff is bonus and you never know if you'll even be able to use it. If SHTF and you are at a buddy's house 20 miles away is it worth your life to run home and pack?

So my suggestion is to be reasonable, buy what you ABSOLUTELY NEED and the rest will flow. Knowledge is power in this situation. My True survival pack consists of a 2 inch swiss army knife and my noggin. Think Smart, think Fast, don't Panic. you'll make it

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    What makes you think people from the country won't be driving 30-45 minits to sit in your living room and eat your food stores?

What is it that makes people in Indianapolis think they are going to sit up there in the city all their lives, keep the good jobs all to their self, lobby all the government lackeys day and night in Indianapolis for their benefit and then as soon as SHTF they think they will just take a little drive out to some one else's "corn field" and set up a squatters camp. Throw a little picnic.

I've said it before and I'll remind ya again here because I don't fire warning shots, the power goes out or I have any reason to think there's a remote chance S is H'ing T F and I see any one on my property after dark they are likely to be in a hole by daylight. If I already know them enough to recognise them right away they better still keep their hands where I can see them and be hailing the house when I see them, not sniffing around the barn or back of the house.

You city boys made yer bed in Indy..., don't think for a minute you'll be camp'n out in MY garden just because a little SHTF up there.

okay see that right there!?!?!

If anyone ever needed a reason to buy a couple INGO hats...there it is right there in front of you. Advanced recognition.

Thanks Jack :yesway:

:D

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the suggestions guys...

I think I may take a loan out to help in general and will take just a bit extra so I can pick up what I need. I'm tired of worrying about money and scraping by on pennies. I've got a great job and should be ok after school, and adding 5 or 6k of student loans my junior year when I only have 6k currently shouldn't be too bad. I'd be in better shape than most graduating with 12k worth of student loans. Lots of kids graduate with 50k+.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Going further in debt will never help, and you are doing a personal stimulus package now that you will pay for for a long, long time.

it's funny to me that people complain about the way gov't is ran when they run their own loves the exact same way. Selling the car is your way to do what you want (stock up) and get out of debt.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime". knowledge and experience are the best things to have, they open up the door to everything else. plus most of the time they don't cost a thing.

Top Bottom