• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Unconstitutional Killing seems to be a subject of interest lately. I wonder why it hasn't been connected to one of the all time leading killers of American citizens, Abraham Lincoln. He killed more Americans than all of the other Presidents combined.

If he believed that the Southerners were still Americans why would he invade and if he believed otherwise why would he not require a declaration of war from Congress? Evidence exists that he had even ordered an assassination of Jefferson Davis, not just an American but a descendant of one of the Founding Fathers.

I'm not a defender of BO. I just realize that he isn't the first President to do a fan dance on the Constitution.....

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I like the BO better as it adds another dimension. It also appears that he is tending to distance himself from the Hussein middle name more and more as a response to himself being spurned by the Muslim world.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If he believed that the Southerners were still Americans why would he invade

He didn't invade, the South fired first.

The South was in rebellion to save their institution of slavery and was brought to heel, not invaded.

if he believed otherwise why would he not require a declaration of war from Congress?

Not to sound like a broken record but the South was in rebellion. By the Laws of War the South was a belligerent power not a sovereign nation. As the CSA was a belligerent power the USA was under no duty to declare war.

Evidence exists that he had even ordered an assassination of Jefferson Davis,

Is this the "evidence" that a professor from East Carolina State pulled out of thin air?

I'm glad he did not. It was much more effective to have Jeff Davis running for his life and wearing woman's clothing so there would be no guerilla war in the South. Davis' disgrace strangled any notion of guerilla war in the crib.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Unconstitutional Killing seems to be a subject of interest lately. I wonder why it hasn't been connected to one of the all time leading killers of American citizens, Abraham Lincoln. He killed more Americans than all of the other Presidents combined.

If he believed that the Southerners were still Americans why would he invade and if he believed otherwise why would he not require a declaration of war from Congress? Evidence exists that he had even ordered an assassination of Jefferson Davis, not just an American but a descendant of one of the Founding Fathers.

I'm not a defender of BO. I just realize that he isn't the first President to do a fan dance on the Constitution.....

I guess because it doesn't matter?

Maybe instead of working hard to villianize Lincoln for some reason that has absolutely no bearing on today's situation you should recognize that Obama is currently the POTUS and therefore we should focus on what HE is doing.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mister Freeman: The occupation of Fort Sumter was considered an invasion because previously it had been agreed by the commanders, both North and South, that that would not happen. The South was not in rebellion, it was in succession. Succession is opting out. How do you figure that people who settled the countryside could be the belligerent power? I suppose those Northerners hundreds of miles away were the "locals"? 28 States, including this one, have recently entertained motions to assert and re-affirm their state sovereignty, which I might add was not taken away by the Constitution - only limited as enumerated therein.

The evidence of a plan of assassination exists from several sources and further information would only continue the tangent.

Perhaps it would be good to once again refer to the old axiom that the winners write the history books, and the screenplays.

Mr. Viperjock: I only observe what Lincoln did, history is something which we should observe carefully so that we do not repeat the same mistakes again. Vanity may lead people to believe that they are intelligent enough to see all of the pitfalls from a forward view, unfortunately that has never been the case....

Landon500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anderson, In
    I'm still waiting on my FREE health insurance,more jobs, better jobs and a better America. The only thing that I agree with BHO on is that we should all pay the same taxes. BHO is just starting to talk the talk once more.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think that politicians and some of their supporters need to be taught the axiom "two wrongs don't make a right". It gets so tiresome hearing about what someone did in a previous administration as an excuse for some wrong done today.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The South was not in rebellion, it was in succession.

When you fire shots at the United States of America that is an act of Treason and you are then in a state of insurrection.

There is no succession power in the Laws of War. There is a category defined as belligerent power and that is what the South was until it was pacified.

How do you figure that people who settled the countryside could be the belligerent power?

Because they were committing Treason against the United States of America by bearing arms against her. Who cares who settled what countryside? Treason is dependent on what you are doing not where you settle.

There were almost as many Southerners fighting for the Union as against it. Only one state did not provide troops against the CSA, South Carolina.

The South was not in rebellion, it was in succession.

Absolute nonsense. The CSA had nothing to do with "states' rights". Read the Confederate Constitution. Could States leave the CSA?

What about the State of Jones? Why couldn't counties leave the state if the South was all about "opting out"?

The evidence of a plan of assassination exists from several sources and further information would only continue the tangent.

You mean the evidence John Bingham bought to light that Davis was responsible for the assassination of Lincoln?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    28 States, including this one, have recently entertained motions to assert and re-affirm their state sovereignty, which I might add was not taken away by the Constitution - only limited as enumerated therein.

I don't understand, what does some resolution in the Indiana Senate have to do with what the South did. Passing a resolution recognizing the Tenth Amendment is not what the South did.

The South went into a state of rebellion in order to keep the institution of slavery. As noted above that had nothing to do with states rights or any other cover story.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Unconstitutional Killing seems to be a subject of interest lately.
    Should the gov't have arrested and tried Awlaki because he was an American citizen? Absolutely, but regardless as soon as he was tried he would have been killed anyway. The price of that bomb might have been cheaper than housing him in prison and expense of the trial though. Did BHO overstep? That's an affirmative. My personal opinion is that as soon as he turned to terrorism, his citizenship ceased due to treason.

I wonder why it hasn't been connected to one of the all time leading killers of American citizens, Abraham Lincoln. He killed more Americans than all of the other Presidents combined.

If you are saying that because he was C&C during the American Civil War, then you are gravely mistaken by saying he has killed more Americans than all other Presidents combined. WWI and WWII combined very nearly match the Civil war, and then if you throw in Vietnam and Korea amongst the others throw in the fact that Andrew Jackson used to put a bounty on Native American scalps, and your point is bunk.. They might not have been US citizens, but they are definitely Americans. If not based the Civil War I would be more than willing to hear what you have to say and references.

He never invaded the south without the declaration of war. If you are referring to Fort Sumpter, then you need to realize that the Confederacy fired the first shot. That is not an invasion. He then called for an emergency Congressional meeting for July 4th. At that meeting, congress declared war, and a little over two weeks later, the armies clash at the First Battle of Bull Run. To my knowledge there was never a push of troops prior to Congressional authorization, so if you have a source, I would indeed like to hear it.

You are right, he isn't the first president, I can think of several others, and no one is to blame but the american people. They voted them in. I am not trying to run you down, just confused as to where you got your information. :dunno:

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Not to sound like a broken record but the South was in rebellion. By the Laws of War the South was a belligerent power not a sovereign nation. As the CSA was a belligerent power the USA was under no duty to declare war.

Well, that's certainly the CURRENT view.

At the time, though, there was very much a question as to the extent of FEDERAL power over the states. Were the states independent and joined only insofar as they WANTED to be, or did they, in fact, have the right to say, "we're outta here" and withdraw their membership from the Union?

Remember: Prior to the ACW, it was "The United States have" and "the United States are." It was only after that it became "the United States has" and "the United States is."

I always found this argument compelling:

Major General George E. Pickett: Colonel, think on it, now. Now you suppose that we all join a club, a gentlemen's club. And then, well, after a time, several of the members began to, uh... began to *intrude* themselves into our private lives, our home lives. Began tellin' us what we could do, what we couldn't do. Well, then, wouldn't any one of us have the right to resign? I mean, just...
    [he snaps his fingers]
    ... resign. Well, that's what we did. That's what *I* did, and now these people are tellin' us that we don't have that right to resign.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Lincoln issued an arrest warrant for the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Roger B. Taney, when he called Lincoln out on the unconstitutional suspension of Habeus Corpus. Lincoln also arrested dozens of congressmen, mayors, and elected officials for disagreeing with him. He confiscated guns from citizens, quartered troops in private homes, squelched protests, and packed jails with 'dissenters'. So it is true that a lot of tyrannical precedents have already been set. Lets hope that we never elect another Lincoln.

Top Bottom