• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I would LOVE to see a map of Indiana underground mining. Doubt such a thing is publicly available.

It is available and is public information via GIS data. Most just don't know where/how to look, or have ArcGIS handy.

But, here's a webpage:

Indiana's Geologic Economy

I realize that some of that data is outdated, as that was information as of the early 2000's, but you get the idea of the magnitude of information available to GIS techs if they want to map it.

-Nate

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That explains why the cave I went to in Texas was so hot!

Yes. Caves in Texas average about 68f. Caves in Indiana are 54-56f.

Room and pillar underground mines can be mind bogglingly huge. Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico is about 30 miles in length. Nearby Lechuguilla cave is around 140 miles (both are only of mapped and known passage, they are actually bigger). The longest cave system in the world is Mammoth Cave at over 400 miles of mapped length. But located between Carlsbad, Hobbes, and Artesia (in New Mexico) is an underground Potash mine that is over 25,000 (twenty five THOUSAND) miles in length. Carlsbad Caverns and Lechuguilla are just inkblots when you look at the map and the mine covers a significant fraction of the area between those three cities. I have a map that shows all three, the two caves and the mine in relation to each other and those three cities. I use it as an example when I teach cave search.

The average person has no idea just how much of the earth we are mining for resources.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's on 158 going towards Fayetteville. We are dimensional limestone.

Oh OK. I see a limestone place in that 90 degree curve on 158 (Google Maps). I guess even if I got out that way any, if it were a mine, I probably wouldn't know it from the road anyway. :D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    There's a tunnel running from the Beech Grove FEMA camp all the way to Wanamaker. It's so the guards can easily get pizza from the Ordinary and fish from Wheatley's.
    IDK about that but there is one that runs near this pit , across town to near the old wishard site .

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I am always amazed at how many people just in Indianapolis are unaware of the mining that takes place in their backyards.

Long ago I remember listening to Art Bell and Mrs. Threeteeth from Indiana called in and talked about the alien space tunnels under Indianapolis. I laughed for 15 minutes--if they only knew what it was.:D

EDIT: there are many tunnels and mines in Indiana (some are used as warehouses). Many in the state are unaware of them as they think these only happen "out West" somewhere. We need an Underground Indiana thread.

At the now closed Peabody Air Quality coal mine south of Vincennes it was only six miles from the drop to the working faces when I worked there as a Spotter in 2011. The total linear distance for all excavations would have allowed one to travel the distance from the east coast of the United States to the west coast. Beat that !

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The total linear distance for all excavations would have allowed one to travel the distance from the east coast of the United States to the west coast. Beat that !

Challenge accepted:

...located between Carlsbad, Hobbes, and Artesia (in New Mexico) is an underground Potash mine that is over 25,000 (twenty five THOUSAND) miles in length.

lol :):

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No, relying on a pedantic argument to attempt to level the score is what equals...

" LOL!! " ;)

Shibumiseeker is still winning by over 20,000 miles.

Buddy, you're the one who said "Beat that!"; surely you must know that statements like that on a gun forum are a terrible idea, even if I am just jerkin your chain... :)

-Nate

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    No, relying on a pedantic argument to attempt to level the score is what equals...

" LOL!! " ;)

Shibumiseeker is still winning by over 20,000 miles.

Buddy, you're the one who said "Beat that!"; surely you must know that statements like that on a gun forum are a terrible idea, even if I am just jerkin your chain... :)

-Nate

Whatever trips your trigger .

Top Bottom