• ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Obviously morbid.

But someone explain the point of the Southern Gospel in the background. Or the organist. Or ... the acrid smell of flowers that make my eyes water.

(Yes, I'm in the family section of a funeral, which starts in 15ish minutes, on my phone, on INGO... judge me however you will.)

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Considering I'm a KY resident who doesn't have her permit... That's not exactly legal.
    And it wouldn't work with my pretty dress.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You need a thigh holster like Tom Selleck gave his girlfriend on Blue Bloods a few episodes back, when you get your licence of course. If you wear a skirt or dress on a regular basis. Love that show BTW and the comment he made about women carrying in their purse was priceless! A good purse snatcher will grab you purse before you can have time to react.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Also, heard this statement from the funeral director, maybe you Northerners can explain...

"I've got my cat hurting clothes on. It doesn't even matter.'

And, it's cold up here. I want to go back to 65 and sunny... :C

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i think the smell is more sulfury... kinda like maybe the spirits that drop off of people when they die smell

jake

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sorry to hear of your loss, Catie. Can't explain any of the trappings you describe.

Obviously morbid.

But someone explain the point of the Southern Gospel in the background. Or the organist. Or ... the acrid smell of flowers that make my eyes water.

(Yes, I'm in the family section of a funeral, which starts in 15ish minutes, on my phone, on INGO... judge me however you will.)

Also, not judging you. We seek comfort where we may find it.

Also, heard this statement from the funeral director, maybe you Northerners can explain...

"I've got my cat hurting clothes on. It doesn't even matter.'

And, it's cold up here. I want to go back to 65 and sunny... :C

Maybe he said "cat herding"?
    shrug2.gif

Have a better day, and as always,

Blessings,
    Bill

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Sorry to hear of your loss, Catie. Can't explain any of the trappings you describe.
    Also, not judging you. We seek comfort where we may find it.
    Have a better day, and as always,
    Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks for the condolences. Seriously.
    And yes, I know that, but I find it odd. (This being understood that since September I have lost four wonderful people in my family.)
    Due to that I've spent way to much time at Hippensteel and the funeral home in Rossville. And it seems to be a really common trend, the music that is...
    and the decorations. Weird.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks for the condolences. Seriously.
    And yes, I know that, but I find it odd. (This being understood that since September I have lost four wonderful people in my family.)
    Due to that I've spent way to much time at Hippensteel and the funeral home in Rossville. And it seems to be a really common trend, the music that is...
    and the decorations. Weird.

You must be from the Lafayette area. I too have spent too many trips to Hippensteel....

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I am sorry to hear about your loss.
    Might be out of taste, but sometimes you just have to kill some time.. why not do it on INGO.
    Funeral Homes are weird places, and the staff.. just as weird...

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    My wifes parents own a couple funeral homes. I know this "smell" you speak of. It smells lifeless in the buildings. I must disagree on the staff being weirdos part. It's not the fact that their creepy, it's the fact that it is a business that nobody wants to do and they've got to numb themselves to death. I mean they do 5 or 6 funerals a week, so they have to deal with the greiving process that many times a week so they just get numb.. Just trying to give insight to the way Funeral Directors look at the whole picture

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Last funeral I was at I ended up giving gun recommendations to the preacher who just got his ccw, this was in TN though.

I hate funerals been to 4 since April 2010 and about to head to my 5th in a few days, why does everyone have to die at once? Worst part is the church music though, especially the people who sing the songs, who aren't really singers and you would have to pay someone to listen to them in any other situation. When I die, anyone has my permission to burn my corpse and toss it in the dumpster, funerals are a waste of time and money, and seeing the dead body just gives a person more reason to have a break down.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I caint even think about the funeral homes, I'm stuck on the pink guns in thigh holsters hiding under skirts and dresses. :)

Seriously though, those places just have a weird presence to me. I've always thought we should celebrate the life of that person, and what they done for others in their lifetime instead of regretting the recent loss. That's kind of my way of dealing with the passing of loved ones.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have a funeral home nearby that is run by an old lady. She plays a really creepy sounding organ during funerals there. The whole place is just creepy, right down to the old timey looking carpet in the place. She is actually a really nice lady, I've known her for years, but you could not make the place more creepy if you tried.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Obviously morbid.

What is there to judge? It is imperative to remember that, first, the funeral is for the living, not the dead. Second, everyone deals with the emotional implications of the occasion in different ways--sometimes this means you simply need a distraction. By extension, your ways of dealing with things are your own and not subject to the opinions of other barring gross violations infringing on the grieving of others (i.e., I would recommend against loudly telling jokes over the preacher). Otherwise, your feeling and your reactions are your business.

It is a difficult time. Even if the decedent is not someone with whom you were closely attached, you are still surrounded by those who were, and I doubt that you are cold enough not to be affected by that. Eternity in whatever form you choose to believe in it (or not) is a mystery in many regards, and therefore a potential source of stress. Personally, I have had some funerals in which I actively engaged in the occasion and others in which I just wanted to hide from everyone. A few months ago, I preached my mother's funeral (needless to say an event unlike any other). Not even the funerals (of people I didn't really know) which I attended as a courtesy have had any standard pattern. My point is that there is no single right answer for one person and there sure as the universe isn't any answer which fits everyone.

You do not deserve to be judged and should not accept it. There is only one Judge. Never forget that!

Although I am only text on the screen and an image in your mind which probably bears little resemblance to the one in my mirror, and I could say the same in return, you are still significant by virtue of being God's creation, therefore significant to me by virtue of my faith. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers, and in my heart there is a hug for you all in this time of loss.

Be blessed and be well!

Dave

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a news flash. Funerals aren't for YOU. They are held to pay respects to the deceased and family. What really irks me is people showing up in tank tops and cut-offs or similar inappropriate clothing. If people can't do better than that, they should just pass on the whole thing. The music should have been picked by the family. The flowers are from folks wanting to do something nice. Get over yourself.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I went to one for my wife's cousin a few years ago. First part was 'normal', preacher reading Scripture, hymns, crying, flowers, ect. Then, as requested by the family, they played Free Bird and Dream On. Talk about weird.

Top Bottom