• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Once again a union has decided that they'd rather see their members on unemployment and welfare than working. Their decision to refuse pay cuts has likely doomed a plan to resurrect their plant and keep jobs in Indy. Yay, unions! :rolleyes:

via Indiana Barrister

[article text removed to comply with new copyright rules]

Last edited by a moderator:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Once again a union has decided that they'd rather see their members on unemployment and welfare than working. Their decision to refuse pay cuts has likely doomed a plan to resurrect their plant and keep jobs in Indy. Yay, unions! :rolleyes:

via Indiana Barrister

I could care less with this being a union issue as it is more of a pay issue for the individuals. IMO, you are trying to make something of the wrong issue as it is a local worker issue. Can the people even make ends meet living in Chicago and making only half the pay? Delphi had something like this happen here if I remember correctly and I can't blame some people for saying NO and taking a stand on that. However, you better have a plan on what you are going to do while you are taking a stand as unemployment doesn't pay much better than half pay at a good factory job.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Doesn't matter if they can make ends meet or not on that one salary. That is the market wage for the labor needed to run the machines.

What law says you can only work one job?

If your skill set is button pusher, expect to work 2 jobs to provide for your family.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The workers don't live in Chicago. They live in Indy, where the plant's at.
    From the Star article
    Local GM workers defy UAW | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star
    Oops...my bad I read it wrong:D

Doesn't matter if they can make ends meet or not on that one salary. That is the market wage for the labor needed to run the machines.

What law says you can only work one job?

If your skill set is button pusher, expect to work 2 jobs to provide for your family.
    No law says that...that is not my point. They are taking what they feel is a stand and they need to accept the results. If that is the market wage then there will be plenty of qualified people to do it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Absolutely.

The thing about a uinion jobs is that the labor cost is typically 5 to 10 times higher than the actual wage.

For the same jobs, prevailing labor cost in this local market is about $150/hr or lower. UAW labor costs are over $300/hr. Wages are about the same for the most part.

So, in order for an employer to break even with the UAW he has to pay a much lower wage and lower benefits.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Absolutely.

The thing about a uinion jobs is that the labor cost is typically 5 to 10 times higher than the actual wage.

For the same jobs, prevailing labor cost in this local market is about $150/hr or lower. UAW labor costs are over $300/hr. Wages are about the same for the most part.

So, in order for an employer to break even with the UAW he has to pay a much lower wage and lower benefits.

Source for that number please

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Those are the internal numbers we use when considering to outsource a job.

Our prevailing UAW LABOR COST is $300/hr.

We can contract out to any local machine shop for $150/hr or less.

Internationally, European labor costs are between $150-$200/hr as well. They also pay much higher taxes so benefits are paid out by governments rather than employers, but the gross wages are comparable.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This brings to mind one of my favorite quotes, "You can evade reality, but you cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." - Ayn Rand

We are living in surreal times :scratch:

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    We just went through a couple union strikes up here in NWI. First the Ironworkers went on strike, then another union went on strike. I heard the Ironworkers were trying to get an $8/hr raise this year, and another $8/hr raise next year in their contract. Both strikes overlapped each other and held up construction on major roads (80/94). One local road that was stopped close to completion was finished by the city workers. They ended up getting done 3 days early. They are holding out during the busy season to have more leverage to ask for more money when they should be happy they have a job. Start of this week a union building Chicago roads went on strike. All it'll mean is the state will be even more broke and will be able to fix even less roads/bridges. I work in the bridge business, another I-35W is likely to happen considering the condition of all the bridges and the lack of money to support/repair/replace them.

akaindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    There is a fairly simple solution to this. The businessman in Chicago should let the company close; all the employees will be out of a job. He can than come in and buy the factory and tooling for next to nothing saving even more money doing this. Then re-open the plant and hire people at even more competitive free market wages without ever having to deal with the union contracts. The unemployed people can than come back to work at lower wages once they realize there are no other jobs to be had. Just make sure to keep the unions out once the plant is reopened.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

via Indiana Barrister

The union doesn't kill the jobs or decied to keep the plant open or closed.

The company does.

You are right though, you don't know, don't understand or have a clue.

Full speed ahead though.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The union doesn't kill the jobs or decied to keep the plant open or closed.

The company does.

You are right though, you don't know, don't understand or have a clue.

Full speed ahead though.

I understand that companies exist to make a profit. I understand that companies exist to benefit their stockholders. I understand that companies don't exist to provide jobs. I understand that a well run company should endevor at all times to reduce as much ovehead, including labor cost, as possible. I understand that companies require capital. I understand that if I put the capital into an enterprise no one is going to run it but me. People have a choice if they want to work for a company. They don't have the choice to shut it down.

If the workers decide they don't want to work for the company, that's fine. They should quit, get out of the way, and let someone else work. It's that simple.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I wonder when the last time was that a CEO took a 50% paycut. I'm sure there's one. But are their two?

My family is a business too. I require a return on my investment of time doing a prefessional job and looking out for the companies assets and liabilty. My time away from home has worth. Yes, there does get to be a point where it is no longer worth doing the job at any wage less than a bottom level. Yes, I am in a union. Yes, I have taken a paycut to help my company.

Know what the company did with that paycut? Lied to us about new contracted work, got payed the same themselves and pocketed the difference. It came out in court. We got nothing from it.

Companies that need labor to perform a company's work will need employees. People running around with their head cut off like chicken little screaming "oh my god we should just be happy to have jobs" are the symptom of a lack of self worth.

My time and skill have worth. Pay me. And I will see your work is done correctly, on time, with a smile and will provide feedback on how we can do things better on the frontline. No consulting fee necessary.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Eisman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I think that we all should go back to 1980 wages as long as we can pay the 1980 out of pocket expenses

Top Bottom