• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't know how God fearing, right thinking, patriotic Americans can continue to support the National level union bosses. Most of their money goes to support politicians that are against most everything they believe.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Some of the information being posted is incorrect. Unions have to keep political money separate from general funds and the accounting is closely watched by the Feds. The member has to opt IN not out of the program, so one is not giving money until they sign a form stating so. Most of the guys I work around have never opted in because of our concerns of where the money was going.

So, to say our dues are going to anyone is a falsehood. So, to say that all members contribute to the backing of either political party is a falsehood.

You may not like Unions, that's your prerogative, but to lump everyone into your mindset of what a Union person is is making a gross judgement error.

rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Some of the information being posted is incorrect. Unions have to keep political money separate from general funds and the accounting is closely watched by the Feds. The member has to opt IN not out of the program, so one is not giving money until they sign a form stating so. Most of the guys I work around have never opted in because of our concerns of where the money was going.

So, to say our dues are going to anyone is a falsehood. So, to say that all members contribute to the backing of either political party is a falsehood.

You may not like Unions, that's your prerogative, but to lump everyone into your mindset of what a Union person is is making a gross judgement error.

Thats good information. I didn't know about the opt in/ opt out. If your union dues don't go to pay political contributions what do they go for? I'm not trying to start an argument I am sincerely curious.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    and the money laundering continues... here's your top 20... funny what #2 is...

Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2010 | OpenSecrets

1ActBlue$51,552,98099%0%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

2American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees$45,037,99394%1%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

3AT&T Inc$40,800,95545%54%
    fence.gif

4National Assn of Realtors$39,494,41047%49%
    fence.gif

5National Education Assn$36,188,34581%5%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

6Service Employees International Union$35,854,53978%2%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

7American Assn for Justice$33,664,77189%8%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

8Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers$32,920,95497%2%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

9Laborers Union$31,183,76789%7%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

10American Federation of Teachers$31,021,12890%0%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

11Teamsters Union$30,365,80989%6%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

12Carpenters & Joiners Union$30,279,18786%9%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

13Communications Workers of America$29,221,95395%0%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

14American Medical Assn$27,285,29039%59%
    fence.gif

15United Auto Workers$27,104,45798%0%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

16United Food & Commercial Workers Union$26,596,85993%0%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

17National Auto Dealers Assn$26,391,89232%67%
    elephant.gif

18Machinists & Aerospace Workers Union$26,177,62498%0%
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif
    donkey.gif

19United Parcel Service$24,208,95337%62%
    elephant.gif

20American Bankers Assn$23,810,24439%59%
    fence.gif

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I mean come on, Union financing has always been on the level. How could anyone question the disbursement of Union generated monies. Perish the thought.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Principal brokers in the real estate business have to keep their personal income accounts separate from their business escrow accounts. There are both legal and licensing ramifications for commingling the funds of one with the other. That doesn't stop it from happening.

I dont doubt that there's supposed to be some control over how funds are used, but I do doubt that it's as on the up-and-up as your post would have us believe.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Thats good information. I didn't know about the opt in/ opt out. If your union dues don't go to pay political contributions what do they go for? I'm not trying to start an argument I am sincerely curious.

Sorry, got called away when I was trying to answer you.

My local dues go to paying property upkeep, wages, and the general costs of the Union to do business.
    National dues are the same thing but on the national level.

We also have a separate fund for training for apprentices and journeyman, which is just on the local level.

We have no seniority, no tenure. We get no paid time off. We are self funded for health insurance and pension. Construction skilled trades are not like public employee unions, factory unions, or Teamsters. We do not have the protection people think all Unions have. If we can't do the work, don't show up on time and every day we can be fired with no recourse.

If you don't like Unions that's your prerogative, but the broad painting of all Union members with the same brush is incorrect.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Principal brokers in the real estate business have to keep their personal income accounts separate from their business escrow accounts. There are both legal and licensing ramifications for commingling the funds of one with the other. That doesn't stop it from happening.

I dont doubt that there's supposed to be some control over how funds are used, but I do doubt that it's as on the up-and-up as your post would have us believe.

And I also doubt that its anywhere near as bad as most detractors of Unions believe, but I'm not going to change your mind just as you won't change mind.

The general painting of Union members for the downfall of the country is ludicrous. Especially after some of the same people in this thread have said in other threads that the sheer greed of the banking industry caused the current financial crisis.

A Union is a small form of government, yes there are bad apples in it, just like there are bad apples on the opposing side. But neither side wants to look within when they can point the finger at the other side.

If you don't like Unions, again that's fine, but since you are not involved internally in them you can't make accusations based on items you read by other people who are not involved in them.

If me being in a Union makes me a bad person in anyone's eyes, that is your problem after all not mine. Me personally I don't judge people on the career they chose, but I find others like to judge Union workers without getting to know them.

I work for a living, I earn my money with sweat and hard physical work and my knowledge in my trade. I pay my taxes, I vote for the people who support my beliefs and I don't vote for those who oppose them. I don't make broad statements about people who don't think just like me and call them un-American.

For those wondering something that really isn't their business, I am registered with no party and I have never voted a straight ticket since I've been eligible to vote. I sure as hell don't vote what any Union tells me I should vote. That is why I do not contribute to our political fund, they don't know what is best for me or who I support, so I won't fund them to support people I am firmly against.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And I also doubt that its anywhere near as bad as most detractors of Unions believe, but I'm not going to change your mind just as you won't change mind.

The general painting of Union members for the downfall of the country is ludicrous. Especially after some of the same people in this thread have said in other threads that the sheer greed of the banking industry caused the current financial crisis.

A Union is a small form of government, yes there are bad apples in it, just like there are bad apples on the opposing side. But neither side wants to look within when they can point the finger at the other side.

If you don't like Unions, again that's fine, but since you are not involved internally in them you can't make accusations based on items you read by other people who are not involved in them.

If me being in a Union makes me a bad person in anyone's eyes, that is your problem after all not mine. Me personally I don't judge people on the career they chose, but I find others like to judge Union workers without getting to know them.

I work for a living, I earn my money with sweat and hard physical work and my knowledge in my trade. I pay my taxes, I vote for the people who support my beliefs and I don't vote for those who oppose them. I don't make broad statements about people who don't think just like me and call them un-American.

For those wondering something that really isn't their business, I am registered with no party and I have never voted a straight ticket since I've been eligible to vote. I sure as hell don't vote what any Union tells me I should vote. That is why I do not contribute to our political fund, they don't know what is best for me or who I support, so I won't fund them to support people I am firmly against.

Man, you take things way too personally.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Man, you take things way too personally.

Really, calling all Unions corrupt and me being a Union member I shouldn't take it personal?

"I don't know how God fearing, right thinking, patriotic Americans can continue to support the National level union bosses. Most of their money goes to support politicians that are against most everything they believe."

"and the money laundering continues..."

Even you without any proof to go against what I said, hint at corruption you can't prove "I dont doubt that there's supposed to be some control over how funds are used, but I do doubt that it's as on the up-and-up as your post would have us believe."

Just like any other business, Unions make contributions to political parties that favor their thinking. No different than any large corporation. What I said was they can no longer do it out of the general fund, it has to be a special political fund that a member has to opt into, not out of. It is watched, forms have to be signed and if you opt in it is reflected on your pay stub. They have to account for every penny in the fund and the contractors aren't going to fudge their bookkeeping to accommodate a Union hall when they have to answer to the IRS for funds withheld from a paycheck.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Frankly, I don't give a rats butt where the funds came from, dues or running hookers. The facts of the matter are that unions paid for the Indiana dems to run out of the state for their benefit. And it looks like it might have been illegal. At the very least we know who runs things in the dem party. While I am glad we got absolutely nothing done for a month, (and proved we don't need need any of these aholes, on either side), the dems were bought and paid for by union funds.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    kevman - I appreciate your candor and willingness to discuss this rationally.

One seriously must consider that asking the Government to oversee the accounts of those who donate heavily to errr... Government... is a bit of the "fox guarding the henhouse" situation, no??

Sure - unions and everyone else lobbies for their interest. So does the NRA. I think most rational people would like to see the heavy duty lobbying and corruption done away with - or at a minimum toned down - if doing away with it cannot be accomplished.

Many here would disagree with what the Union's (in general) lobby for. Not saying yours in specific, but I don't know you or what Union you are part of. While I agreed with their point of view in the abusive past (where abuse of workers was clearly the case) I simply respectfully think that many have pushed it way too far at this point. Note I said MANY, not ALL... Some have even violated that cardinal law of the parasite, that of not killing the host...

There are times when the management/capital side has overstepped its' bounds as well. I'm equally quick to be critical under those circumstances.

The fact remains - most unions contribute to causes that I disagree with. PERIOD.

Look again at what Expat said: "I don't know how God fearing, right thinking, patriotic Americans can continue to support the National level union bosses. Most of their money goes to support politicians that are against most everything they believe."

YOU obviously AGREE with him!! You chose NOT to support them with your money! Or so it appears to me. You are not one of those to whom he was referring, assuming that you opted out and that what money you do get pulled from your check is used only for what it's supposed to be...

Bravo to you for making the point. But it sure sounds like you guys agree....

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    kevman - I appreciate your candor and willingness to discuss this rationally.

One seriously must consider that asking the Government to oversee the accounts of those who donate heavily to errr... Government... is a bit of the "fox guarding the henhouse" situation, no??

Sure - unions and everyone else lobbies for their interest. So does the NRA. I think most rational people would like to see the heavy duty lobbying and corruption done away with - or at a minimum toned down - if doing away with it cannot be accomplished.

Many here would disagree with what the Union's (in general) lobby for. Not saying yours in specific, but I don't know you or what Union you are part of. While I agreed with their point of view in the abusive past (where abuse of workers was clearly the case) I simply respectfully think that many have pushed it way too far at this point. Note I said MANY, not ALL... Some have even violated that cardinal law of the parasite, that of not killing the host...

There are times when the management/capital side has overstepped its' bounds as well. I'm equally quick to be critical under those circumstances.

The fact remains - most unions contribute to causes that I disagree with. PERIOD.

Look again at what Expat said: "I don't know how God fearing, right thinking, patriotic Americans can continue to support the National level union bosses. Most of their money goes to support politicians that are against most everything they believe."

YOU obviously AGREE with him!! You chose NOT to support them with your money! Or so it appears to me. You are not one of those to whom he was referring, assuming that you opted out and that what money you do get pulled from your check is used only for what it's supposed to be...

Bravo to you for making the point. But it sure sounds like you guys agree....

I may agree that I won't let any organization make my decisions for me, I disagree with thinking that anyone that belongs to that organization is not what he thinks they are because of membership. Its a generalization akin to ethnic slurs. Because someone is this they must be like all the others too.

The separation of funds was asked for by members of Unions across the country, the government stepped in to oversee it because of past corruption. I won't disagree it used to run rampant, but general comments were made that "dues" are used to pay for political action and that's not true.

If contributions were made to the Indiana Democratic Party and they were used in illegal manner, hang whomever was responsible for it, but don't blame every Union member because a larger majority than believed do not contribute to the political funds.

The NRA has also backed some things in the past I disagree with, but I support them. I will not contribute to their political side though. Again same reasons as my Union, they support people that I disagree with on other fronts.

I just get tired of people painting a picture from reading things and thinking the same is true every Union. Then trying to back them up with facts that have nothing to do with that discussion. Like the list of Democratic contributors, calling them all corrupt, so then are all Republican contributors corrupt? The answer to both of those is no.

Yes my Union takes advantage of me, but guess what, I take advantage of them too. I get education that people in my trade outside of the Union can't afford to get, yet I get mine for minimal costs because we as a group can afford to have it for journeymen. To me its a fair trade off, I pay my dues but I get access to training not available at my costs to people outside of my Union and we self subsidize it.

There is so much people that say they "hate" Unions don't understand, but rather than try and find out they just spew the same rhetoric and refuse to hear the other side.

Again, is there corruption, you betcha. Is there the same corruption outside of a Union, you betcha.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    .. the Indiana dems to run out of the state for their benefit.

So how do you think the Democrats who elected them feel? Do you think they would have rather they stay and be steam rolled, or would they perhaps have rather seen them leave for a while? Personally, I don't recall hearing any Democrats complaining.

While I am glad we got absolutely nothing done for a month, (and proved we don't need need any of these aholes, on either side),

Absolutely agree. It was a fine month for the people of Indiana. I'm having trouble seeing the problem.

the dems were bought and paid for by union funds.

As compared with Big Business owning the Republicans? I'm not a Union Leader or a Big Businessman, so I think they're all pretty much crooks.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

What ever you do, don't let someone's actual experience overwhelm a perfectly good baseless opinion.

Did you know that every State that went "Right To Work" saw wages drop from 3 to 5% across the board? Look it up. Like it or not, all employers pay just a little bit more when there are Unions in the neighborhood.

Top Bottom