• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First of all let me state for the record I am not stupid, I am not crazy, and I do not have a Death Wish. That being said I am curious what you all have to say. I have been trying to sell some Win 872 Military powder, Listed in classifieds. I seem to have no interest, not hard to figure since it is slow powder pulled from 20mm Cannon shells and has limited sporting use. So If I do not get it sold I am considering disposing of it with Tannerite. (selling it would benefit my widowed sister-in-law) But only if I can determine that I can do it safely and without stepping on a rainbow. My basic plan would be to take it back to southern Indiana to where I got it from and putting it in the middle of one of their 40 acre fields and be at Minimum 100 yrds away, probably more like 200 yrds. Taping some tannerite to the 8 lb jug and setting it off with either my 98K or my Mosin. First of all do you all think I would get a huge explosion or just a big fireball. And would 100-200 yards be a safe distance? Or should I get together with some one here with a lot of land and sell tickets or chances to set off the 4 8 lb jugs I have access to? I do not wish to attract the attention of the Federal Government Convenience store. Or should I just dispose of it in some other way?

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Your idea sounds like it would be a lot of fun. But I'd probably just sprinkle it in the garden as fertilizer. I'd rather others be the ones whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch THIS......"

( But if you DO dispose of it as you mention, be sure to post pics! :D )

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Another vote to save a trip and fertilize the lawn.

It would just cook off if tanny is used. Give off a little extra flame and smoke. Might be cool all at once at night in the center of a big burn pile doused in fuel. If your going to do it go big. At your own risk of course and only if video and pics are included.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Consider how you get an 'explosion' from gun powder. It requires confinement. That's why rounds thrown in a fire don't do much more than make a bang. If you take the top off the powder jug and set it on the tannerite and manage to hit the tannerite and not the powder I suspect you would get a nice fireball. If you choose to do something like this make sure you practice the shot until you are sure you can make it.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I was wondering if you couldnt use it for black powder cannons ? If you could use it there at least it would go to a good purpose, not sure if it would work, any input from somebody who might know more about powder ?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was wondering if you couldnt use it for black powder cannons ? If you could use it there at least it would go to a good purpose, not sure if it would work, any input from somebody who might know more about powder ?

I'm guessing NO. And for the same reason you don't use smokeless powder in a blackpowder rifle or pistol.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    You can do like they used to in all of the old "Daniel Boone" tv shows and pour a thin line of powder quite a distance from the main pile and light the thin line. It will burn sliwly towards the big pile & then the whole pile will go kawoosh. Dont ask me how I know , but ve sure to video it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You can do like they used to in all of the old "Daniel Boone" tv shows and pour a thin line of powder quite a distance from the main pile and light the thin line. It will burn sliwly towards the big pile & then the whole pile will go kawoosh. Dont ask me how I know ��, but ve sure to video it.

It doesn't burn as slowly as Hollywood would make you think. Hence the reason you don't want to be standing over it when you light it.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I'm guessing NO. And for the same reason you don't use smokeless powder in a blackpowder rifle or pistol.

Yeah, that would be bad

Tannerite should ignite most of it, but I'm also curious if it would have maybe a "sawdust" combustion effect, where so many flakes in the air at one time with a spark......maybe IDK.

I'd maybe slowly burn it or as mentioned before, fertilizer

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Whatever you do, use your head and do not take chances doing something risky. An aquantance of mine and one of the top Skeet shooters in the country, Wayne Mayes, had a quantity of powder ignite and get out of hand, burning him severly. Weeks in the hospital and he lost the fight. The best pain killers they gave him did little to relieve the pain. It was a bad way to go.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    you should remember that the powder will make for an added risk of fire. your lawn is likely as dry as as tinder right now. keep fire suppression gear at hand if you do this, the tannerite will both ignite and scatter the powder as it burns...it won't add to the BOOM but will to the flash and fire making this not the best idea I am have seen here.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Get yourself as long a length of cannon fuse as possible, put the powder in a big pile in the middle of an open field (be sure that nothing other than the powder will ignite!), then have one free end of the fuse in the powder pile.
    Light the fuse, then put some distance between yourself and the powder, and start your video camera that should be on a tripod and aimed right at the pile.
    Sit back and watch the show.
    As already mentioned, it won't go *boom* unless you confine it, but you'll get a nice light show.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Blackpowder and smokeless powder are different. The old lay a trail of powder leading to the keg trick and watch it quickly burn to the keg was with blackpowder.

Smokeless powder does not make good fertilizer. It is not water soluble and will take a long time to break down. You can spread a little on the lawn without hurting anything but it won't help the grass grow. Don't leave it in a pile or just dump it, spread it thin. If you have a little floor sweepings from the reloading room this is an acceptable way to get rid of it.

The best way to get rid of large quantities is to burn it. Spread it less than 1" deep and light it from a safe distance. It won't explode if not confined but it will burn very (very) hot.

IANAC (I Am Not A Chemist), YMMV, :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Which you don't want.

Why? I have sprinkled a pound on my yard before, it does make a high nitrogen fertilizer, actually not dangerous at all if not confined or poured in a big pile. I have also burned a pound of unidentified smokeless powder in a pile before, it did flare up and had about a 2~3 high flame for a few seconds then gone. Don't ever try this with Black Powder however, as it will explode even if not confined.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why? I have sprinkled a pound on my yard before, it does make a high nitrogen fertilizer, actually not dangerous at all if not confined or poured in a big pile. I have also burned a pound of unidentified smokeless powder in a pile before, it did flare up and had about a 2~3 high flame for a few seconds then gone. Don't ever try this with Black Powder however, as it will explode even if not confined.

He was getting at that if it spreads while it's on fire you're gonna have a bad time.

Top Bottom