• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Perhaps the aviation police and UA employees should be compensated for the PTSD they suffered in the course of the incident... I'm feeling so bad for them now...

The guy isn't unconscious. He may be injured, but he's doing the airliner equivalent of soccer flopping. How you decide to view the incident is up to you, and if it's right or wrong is independent of the fact he's clearly not unconscious.

Medics and cops see it all the time, floppers flop for a variety of reasons. It's one reason the sternum rub is a thing.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Just spitballing, but traditionally when you sold the same item to two different people knowing full well that you could only provide it to one it was called fraud and you went to jail for it. It's amazing what a whole bunch of money and some good lobbyist can do for you.

Traditionally, contracts of adhesion and liquidated damages clauses were not enforceable. Contracting parties were also required to deal in good faith. Damn those lobbyists are good.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ...sternum rub...

Sounds kinky.

tenor.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Even if this story was 100% true... does it make criticism against what United did unfair?

Do the hit-pieces against the passenger change what happened?

You keep mistakenly allocating the responsibility for this outcome to United. United's only 'sin' was to ask for the co-operation of law enforcement in removing a customer from their place of business who would not follow the rules, same as if you were carrying in an anti-gun establishment and declined when asked to leave

United did not call in JBT's and instruct them to beat this guy for his insolence. Play stupid games, receive unpleasant consequences. Self-inflicted wound

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The guy isn't unconscious. He may be injured, but he's doing the airliner equivalent of soccer flopping. How you decide to view the incident is up to you, and if it's right or wrong is independent of the fact he's clearly not unconscious.

Medics and cops see it all the time, floppers flop for a variety of reasons. It's one reason the sternum rub is a thing.

Isn't it time one of the INGO refs stepped in and reminded us that none of us was there, and we don't have all the facts yet? :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Isn't it time one of the INGO refs stepped in and reminded us that none of us was there, and we don't have all the facts yet? :dunno:

SOP is 30 pages of "Here's how they should have handled it..."
    +10 pages of repeating what was already said...
    +20 pages of talking past each other...
    And finally at least 100 pages of ignoring the original thread topic, and mostly just name-calling.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The day Denny appeared in teal.

(BTW, to add to the "pad" idea, that calculus probably doesn't include urgent transportation of flight crews to accommodate the schedule changes caused by bad weather. Based on currently available information, the "bump" wasn't due to commercial overbooking, but flight operations. Figuring the crew of 4 was not part of the pad, then your calculation would yield 77 donkeys for 70 seats, with 4 of those donkeys being very special. Kinda remarkable that they got down to 71.)

Perhaps the other three had prior experience with Dr JBT/Mr LEO :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

We don't have all the facts, but we have some of the facts. One of which he has voluntary muscle control, evidenced by his grasping of his cell phone, which means it's impossible he's unconscious.

Sounds kinky.

tenor.gif

Come on by and I'll show you. Safety word is pomegranate. We used to use "banana" as the safety word....until the incident.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    And finally at least 100 pages of ignoring the original thread topic, and mostly just name-calling.

There ya go, with FACTS, again ..... we don't have time for FACTS .....

Use purple, where NEEDED .....

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

We don't have all the facts, but we have some of the facts. One of which he has voluntary muscle control, evidenced by his grasping of his cell phone, which means it's impossible he's unconscious.

Come on by and I'll show you. Safety word is pomegranate. We used to use "banana" as the safety word....until the incident.
    I don't know whether the dude is unconscious or not, but holding onto his cell phone isn't definitive for me. In an earlier life I did a pretty fair bit of boxing and I've been hit hard enough three times that I have complete amnesia of the event. I am told that I went down but did not lose consciousness and popped back up. I have also seen people hit hard enough in the head that they have muscle spasms although the rest of this dude seems pretty relaxed. I am not saying he was or wasn't conscious, but I am saying that just because he was holding onto his phone does not automaticallymean that he was lucid arepresent.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just spitballing, but traditionally when you sold the same item to two different people knowing full well that you could only provide it to one it was called fraud and you went to jail for it. It's amazing what a whole bunch of money and some good lobbyist can do for you.

Traditionally, contracts of adhesion and liquidated damages clauses were not enforceable. Contracting parties were also required to deal in good faith. Damn those lobbyists are good.

So if you are given a reservation at a popular and trendy restaurant for 7pm do you believe that there will be a table there held open and waiting for you to arrive?

It's called yield management, and is thought be be a science - or at least quantifiable

And why do you seem to belittle the contract of carriage out of one side but quote contract law out of the other. Is a contract a contract or ... not?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My concern is that by airlines regularly overbooking they are in fact knowingly offering a service to some people that they will NOT be able to provide, then causing potentially great harm to the person denied service.

That great harm could mean anything from missing work and possibly losing a job to being late to say your last goodbyes to a loved one. While some may argue that the passenger was guilty for not planning, sometimes the planning is forced last minute, like, "Son, mom is not doing well here in LA. You may want to get here ASAP." When this happens a person may get online and book the best flight they can AND pay for it instantly. Once that money is accepted there should be very few legitimate reasons for a person to be denied service.

So my thought is to not allow overbooking - period. If a person doesn't show, they can still be charged, thus the airline loses zero (0) revenue. OR if we don't like that, simply repeal the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925 and allow more clients to sue in a real court with real judges and real juries, not a forced arbitration that favors the business.

Before anyone says, "That's not very libertarian" I will argue the hell it is! I believe in the FREE MARKET! In the FREE MARKET when you knowingly sell a service you cannot provide that is cheating, AKA FRAUD (thanks Fargo:ingo:). Fraud has repercussions in the FREE MARKET.

And no matter how the law reads today regarding the thickness of the legal ice the airline industry is standing on, all it takes is Senator Warren or Senator Franken to propose new legislation and get it passed by outraged colleagues. While people will b***h about this, this is why changes are made. When people get their nose rubbed into how unfair a situation is, they usually demand change. Sometimes they get it.

Regards,

Doug

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know whether the dude is unconscious or not, but holding onto his cell phone isn't definitive for me. In an earlier life I did a pretty fair bit of boxing and I've been hit hard enough three times that I have complete amnesia of the event. I am told that I went down but did not lose consciousness and popped back up. I have also seen people hit hard enough in the head that they have muscle spasms although the rest of this dude seems pretty relaxed. I am not saying he was or wasn't conscious, but I am saying that just because he was holding onto his phone does not automaticallymean that he was lucid arepresent.

Lucid and conscious are different things. You know that. You also know that memory formation is separate from consciousness.

Watch the video and tell me honestly that looks anything like a muscle spasm, seizure, or any other type of involuntary movement of voluntary muscles. He's making a decision (another sign of consciousness) to flop but he's not dedicated enough to risk losing his phone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

And boobies. You forgot boobies. :)

Top Bottom