• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This class is almost full already but I thought I would post it here as I am very excited about attending and thought some of you might be as well. My company has no affiliation with the class instructors other than being fans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharp Defense and Aprill Risk Consulting are pleased to announce a new partnership and course of instruction:

UNTHINKABLE: Concepts and Techniques for the Gravest Extreme

Lead Instructors: William April & Paul Sharp
    Date: Sept 13 - 14
    Time: 08:30 - 18:00 ea day
    Cost: $400
    Round Count: 600

To register contact me at tinman.in@gmail.com

A $200 deposit will be due to reserve your spot. The balance will be collected the first day of class. You must register at least 2 weeks prior to start of class. We will be limiting the class size, so register early. Make checks payable to Jeff Tinsley, and send to me at:

Jeff Tinsley
    PO Box 72
    New Paris, IN. 46553

“Nothing must be beyond our consideration; we must see the world as it is, not as we are.”

This course has a critical over-arching goal: to introduce participants to some of the unaddressed realities of violent criminal aggression and effective defensive responses.

The utility of this increased awareness is two-fold:
    —it provides stress inoculation, so that the moment of an actual life-threatening
    scenario will not be the first time participants will have considered the
    demands of the circumstance or employed defensive skills under pressure.
    —it drives future practice toward more robust and adaptive defensive skills.

Whatever the circumstances, we have come to understand ourselves to be vulnerable to threats against life and health. This paradigm shift has inspired us to inquire into defensive arts and sciences, unlike those who actively reject reality.

All too often, though, the rush to acquire tools and techniques begins before a grounded understanding of the mindset and decision-making of the violent criminal offender, the risk profiles we face by virtue of our lifestyle choices and behavior, our own performance capacities and, perhaps most importantly, our choice of role in the world.

Without a sound conceptual foundation as a basis to proceed, we come to misperceive the world and make choices that become increasingly detached from reality and impermeable to data, leaving us in greater danger without the ability to perceive it.

Errors and omissions in these fundamental decisions are magnified when expressed in:

Doctrine
    Defensive tool choices
    Gear choices
    Practice regimen
    Preferred tactics, techniques, and procedures

This course will provide participants with the opportunity to increase their understanding of the world as it is and their role within it as while exposing them to novel stressors and situations so that working paradigms of the defensive encounter can adapt. Emphasis will be explicitly placed on safely-induced stress inoculation, demonstration and establishment of skills under pressure, and identification of necessary skills involved in defending one’s life with both the pistol and hand-to-hand skills.

As described by a past participant: “without this course I would never have known to think about real threats, or even what they actually are.”

Course components include:

Intensive, interactive lecture on
    The 5 W’s of Risk: Constructing an Effective Pre-Need Defense Paradigm
    Fatal Choices: Understanding Target and Victim Selection

Fast-paced, livefire instruction in
    Defensive Pistol: Reactive Shooting
    Defensive Pistol: In and Around Vehicles
    Defensive Pistol: Complex Circumstances
    Defensive Pistol: Disadvantaged Shooter
    Defensive Pistol: Open-Source Disarming and Retention

Training Staff
    Paul Sharp is a police officer with 16 years experience. His current assignments are patrol, SWAT and training. His past assignments have included resident officer, undercover narcotics detective and neighborhood response officer.
    Paul has graduated from numerous firearms and tactics courses and is an Illinois State firearms instructor, defensive knife instructor, defensive tactics instructor and is the lead pistol instructor for his agency.
    Paul has been recognized as an instructor in the Filipino Martial Arts and Jeet Kune Do concepts as well as Mixed Martial Arts and holds a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Having competed at a professional level in Mixed Martial Arts and Boxing, Paul is uniquely positioned to coach others from knowledge and experience. Paul has also been recognized as an instructor in DR Middlebrooks Fist-Fire shooting system as well as mid-west regional director for SBGI.
    Paul has been featured in several national and international magazines for his part in developing a systematic approach to integrating and instructing Mixed Martial Arts and combative sports for those working in a weapons based environment.

William Aprill is a licensed mental health professional with over 15 years experience across the continuum of care. He presently maintains a private practice and consultancy specializing in post-traumatic interventions and other disciplines.

William is a former deputy sheriff (Orleans Parish, LA, Criminal Sheriff’s Office) and Special Deputy US Marshal (Eastern District of Louisiana). He is a decorated competitive shooter and has taught civilian, law enforcement, and military personnel in various fighting skills since 1990. He maintains an active schedule both as student and teacher, having been instructor-rated by several top-tier trainers and studying under many of the most influential members of the combative arts community.

Through his company Aprill Risk Consulting, William has presented his material on violent criminals and their decision-making, defensive incident aftermath, mindset development and defensive preparedness nationally, including at the Annual Conference of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI), Rangemaster Tactical Conference, Tactical Response Alumni Weekend, and at Paul-E-Palooza, the memorial conference and fundraiser for the family of the late Paul Gomez.

William has been a popular guest on the firearms/training industry broadcast Ballistic Radio, and in 2014 Personal Defense Network will be releasing 2 DVDs of his training blocks on defensive decision-making and mindset development.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...........................I'll be shooting the IDPA Nationals that weekend.....otherwise I'd be there.....oh well...hopefully next time....

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    sounds like a pretty advanced course. hope all attending have the prerequiste basic training. let us know if anyone shoots themself in the foot.
    Umm yeah. Well anything is possible. Most of the class is already full of people from the training group and a few others who have had as much or more training than myself. The people from the board here who I thought might be interested are pretty well trained up as well. Thanks for your concern though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Excellent information here! I do not know the instructors, but what is stated in the write up here is spot on. I would encourage anyone who can to attend this training. You MUST train your mind first or your body will be useless to you under the intense high stress of a deadly force encounter.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    sounds like a pretty advanced course. hope all attending have the prerequiste basic training. let us know if anyone shoots themself in the foot.

I have a feeling that probably won't be much of a problem....this is the "self selecting" kind of class that generally does not appeal to the ...."less committed".... students. This type class doesn't draw the typical gun range "slide fire folks" or even the typical CCW crowd....

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hugely regret not being able to make this one. I've trained multiple times with Paul and he's about the baddest dude you'll meet. I've seen some of William Aprill's work and can't wait to get a 1 hour seminar in the next couple weeks. I would have loved to have made it to this one. Always next time I guess...although I may have to travel to get the next one.

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    How often are these courses held? Sounds like a great course from the description. Looked at the facebook page. Post more pictures if you can from todays portion.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think I will be doing a full AAR for this class as it deserves it. Just a couple of quick notes now.

This was the most physical live fire "gun" class I have been to in a while.

Accuracy standards were very high. Eyeball targets and Headboxes.

Every shooting drill was done Freestyle, SHO, and WHO.

Disarm and retention material was big on concept and relatively low on technique. (Thats a good thing in my book)

Very good class.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    How often are these courses held? Sounds like a great course from the description. Looked at the facebook page. Post more pictures if you can from todays portion.

Don't know how often or where they will be doing this particular class. I believe this was the first time for it. You might not see it in the area again for quite some time, but I don't know that for a fact.

Top Bottom