• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    So 11:45 last night some asshat tried to open my living room door. They took off it seems after my kids who were laying on the sofa's jumped up and started yelling someone was at the door. After i secured the kids i called 911 to report it and ask if they would send a car to check out the neighborhood. The dispatcher asked me if i would put my firearm away. I was polite and told her me being armed is not relevant to the situation. I wanted to say ***** someone just tried to break in my house and to please don't shoot the fat guy in his underwear.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Sounds like you need to work on the kids' noise discipline. They are not supposed to start yelling when they are in the listening post/observation post. :D

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Why did you tell the dispatcher you had a firearm?

Any word on the result of "checking out the neighborhood"?

I just told the dispatcher step by step what happened. Information is key had a young gung ho officer came without this information and just seen me with it, things can get complicated quickly.

I live in between Muncie and New Castle. My mile block consists of about 7 houses i did see a crownvic do a slow drive by i doubt anything came of it unless they were on foot walking down the highway. But an immediate police presence i would hope would help deter the person if they were still in the area now and in future attempts.

IndyMP325

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Why did you tell the dispatcher you had a firearm?

Any word on the result of "checking out the neighborhood"?

I would advise anyone calling the police who has a firearm in their hand to notify dispatch as such. The reason the dispatcher asked you to put your firearm down is because while the police may have had a description of you and the subject who you were calling about, seeing someone with a gun immediately draws attention toward that person. It can just get ugly, quick. You have to understand the police are already on high alert when approaching a residence, especially ref a call about a possible home invasion in progress. They don't know every little detail when they are driving to the call. She/he also didn't want you to get spooked then possibly open fire upon the officers. It's not to say you don't have the mindset to realize they're the police, but believe it or not most people don't know how to think straight, especially when placed in a stressful situation.

Now, me personally, I would have held onto my firearm until I saw police arrive. You didn't do anything wrong judging by your post, I wouldn't have put down my firearm either until I know the police are there.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    So 11:45 last night some asshat tried to open my living room door. They took off it seems after my kids who were laying on the sofa's jumped up and started yelling someone was at the door. After i secured the kids i called 911 to report it and ask if they would send a car to check out the neighborhood. The dispatcher asked me if i would put my firearm away. I was polite and told her me being armed is not relevant to the situation. I wanted to say ***** someone just tried to break in my house and to please don't shoot the fat guy in his underwear.

Props to you sir. I would have done the very same thing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had something slightly similar a couple years back. I dont carry around the house typically...

We have a split level and my office is on the lower level. One lovely Summer evening we had the windows open and the front door as well letting the cool breeze enter through the locked storm door.

I was working late and Mrs. Monkey came down to say goodnight while nursing our child. She had her back to the stairs as we stood in the relative darkness, and as we were chatting something caught my eye and I look over her shoulder to see a teen step up onto our porch and reach for the storm door handle (or so it appeared).

I screamed "HEY!" and it spooked him. I bolted up the steps as he turned to run... just as I cleared the porch I yelled in my best authoritative big boy "Cops" voice "FREEZE!!!!!". The authority apparently got his attention and he stopped and turned to face me. Oddly enough he took a defensive posture. I was about 20' away so no biggie.

me: "what the heck were you doing?"
    him: just trying to do ding dong ditch you, thats all. (the doorbell is right next to the door handle)
    me: (relieved and frustrated, in my best "dad" voice) Dude! Dont DO that! Doing that these days will get you SHOT!" *sigh* Just go home, OK?

He scurried off, and I turned around to find my wife on the porch, still nursing our child. We both laughed... she had followed me out to help... :): Even she, after the fact, had no idea exactly *HOW* she would help given her situation. (but thats a story for another day)

A few minutes later we were standing around unwinding trying to relax and get in a mindset for bed, when we heard the kid again outside. This time he was running down the street trying to warn his buddy (buddies?) that maybe that evening's choice of entertainment wasnt such a good idea after all...:):

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Considering the two recent incidents where younger folks were shot and killed for screwing around folks homes, you'd THINK parents would be hammering into their kids that doing so may not 'just' get them shot.

Top Bottom