• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It was found to be an unjustified shooting aka murder.

Technically not every unjustified shooting is a Murder. Many different outcomes are possible.

There will most certainly be a civil suit and I, for one, will be very interested in what is revealed.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, this sucks and that bad example of a cop should be in the clink.

The plus side is that if charges are never filed by the county prosecutor, it appears the federal prosecutors are going to get full cooperation from the mayor for the federal civil rights violation case.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I just do not understand what constitutes manslaughter or murder if this does not.

1) Unjustified shooting

2) Intent to shoot (not accidental)

3) Shots were aimed to kill

I am confused... that sounds like a slam dunk conviction... does he think a jury would not convict? I just don't understand this, and am trying to reach for logic here I guess....

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OK, I think I found why they didn't charge him. It apparently is a matter of Washington law that it "shields police officers from criminal prosecution when they claim they used deadly force in self-defense, unless it can be shown they acted with malice and a lack of good faith." So apparently the prosecutor felt that even though the shooting was unjustified, they felt that they couldn't prove the element of malice and lack of good faith. It stinks, but it sounds like Washington needs a better law.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Seems like their "law" on LEO shooting is vague enough that the prosecution can't get a foot hold: They have to prove "malice", which without a mental readout (not too many models of man-animal come with the data port for that) can be nearly impossible.

I suspect maybe something like negligence or manslaughter, civil court, who knows? But all in all, bad cop making the rest look pretty bad. :noway:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    OK, I think I found why they didn't charge him. It apparently is a matter of Washington law that it "shields police officers from criminal prosecution when they claim they used deadly force in self-defense, unless it can be shown they acted with malice and a lack of good faith." So apparently the prosecutor felt that even though the shooting was unjustified, they felt that they couldn't prove the element of malice and lack of good faith. It stinks, but it sounds like Washington needs a better law.

Ahh that makes sense, they did keep referring to the officer "acting in good faith".

This is bad news for the good officers in that area.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Hrm the idea of "good faith" is quite a large loophole, don't you think?

What does that even mean, legally?

He intended to do good, even though his actions were "not justified" .. ??

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    the officer didn't follow his training and his decision to use deadly force did not conform to dept policy. does that sound like "good faith"

Infact I would say it was malice. The officer infact targeted this man for doing something that is not against the law. The woodcarver was walking wittling on his work.....not illegal and this officer targeted him for that causing the incident in the first place. Weapon drawn and trained to kill while targeting innocent people, I would argue thats malice.

Top Bottom