• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I have two M&P9s now if I were you I'd just shoot it. The trigger will smooth out in time and you'll learn to control grip and trigger pull in the process. Night sights might help during twilight but at night you'll need a good flashlight for target ID I would only buy a flashlight for now. Spend the money on ammo and mags.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    attachment.php

Stippled, apexed, Atei-d, polished, scalloped, pimped etc.

More in depth story below...its about a shield but you can do the same to anything M&P.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/345750-why-my-m-p-shield-better-than-yours.html

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008

Bowie Tactical did this one. Granted I wasn't going to carry it.
    I recently put a black slide with night sights on it and sent it back to Dave to chop it down to compact size for carry

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    So an update instead of starting a new thread...

After about 400 rounds, I decided to get an apex trigger. I started installing it last night but ran into a couple issues...

Firstly, my rear sight will not come off no matter what I try. I have read about heating the screw up to loosen the red Loctite that S&W puts on it, but I would like some other input.

Secondly, I was removing the sear block and disassembling it to put in the Forward Set Sear by Apex. I placed my finger over top of the sear, pulled the pin, and.....the plunger fires out from underneath my finger into the abyss. I have used a magnet, got down on my hands and knees, and even vacuumed, with no luck finding the stupid thing. I won't stop looking (much to the dismay of everyone around me) but what can I do just in case I cannot find it? I have heard that the sear is something that S&W no longer sells, yet have seen them on Midway for what seems to be reasonable considering how important this piece is, but the plunger and spring on that model are the older, smaller version.

What should I do?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    So an update instead of starting a new thread...

After about 400 rounds, I decided to get an apex trigger. I started installing it last night but ran into a couple issues...

Firstly, my rear sight will not come off no matter what I try. I have read about heating the screw up to loosen the red Loctite that S&W puts on it, but I would like some other input.

Secondly, I was removing the sear block and disassembling it to put in the Forward Set Sear by Apex. I placed my finger over top of the sear, pulled the pin, and.....the plunger fires out from underneath my finger into the abyss. I have used a magnet, got down on my hands and knees, and even vacuumed, with no luck finding the stupid thing. I won't stop looking (much to the dismay of everyone around me) but what can I do just in case I cannot find it? I have heard that the sear is something that S&W no longer sells, yet have seen them on Midway for what seems to be reasonable considering how important this piece is, but the plunger and spring on that model are the older, smaller version.

What should I do?

I've heard that S&W is very understanding in situations like yours.. Call them and explain what is going on and I would imagine they will help you out, if that doesn't get results my next call would be to Apex to see if they could help. You may have to have a sight pusher to get the sight moving. The last two Shields I put Apex setups in were VERY difficult where the rear sight was concerned. I install the Apex parts (along with doing Glock triggers) pretty frequently. PM me if I can be of any help.
    If you have an interest in ammo we still have a few cases of 9MM at Parabellum for $259 a case.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I've heard that S&W is very understanding in situations like yours.. Call them and explain what is going on and I would imagine they will help you out, if that doesn't get results my next call would be to Apex to see if they could help. You may have to have a sight pusher to get the sight moving. The last two Shields I put Apex setups in were VERY difficult where the rear sight was concerned. I install the Apex parts (along with doing Glock triggers) pretty frequently. PM me if I can be of any help.
    If you have an interest in ammo we still have a few cases of 9MM at Parabellum for $259 a case.

I have emailed Apex and S&W and am waiting on a reply, but I plan to call on Monday.

The sight moving isn't the issue, at least not yet, it is the screw that won't come off. I even tried three different brands of 1/16 hex wrench with no success.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have emailed Apex and S&W and am waiting on a reply, but I plan to call on Monday.

The sight moving isn't the issue, at least not yet, it is the screw that won't come off. I even tried three different brands of 1/16 hex wrench with no success.

Heat is the answer. Even just a few seconds with a bic lighter should be enough to release the red thread lock. Another method is to hold the tip of a soldering iron on the set screw for 20 seconds or so. It's a bit more precise than flame and especially helpful if you have night sights.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    When and if you do push the rear sight, do it encased in a plastic baggie... so you don't lose your USB spring into neverland also.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Another thing to add is that some of the modifications above are not legal if you plan on using this M&P for any competitive shooting.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Another thing to add is that some of the modifications above are not legal if you plan on using this M&P for any competitive shooting.

Like what? I was under the impression that there were brackets that modifications were allowed in...though I know little to none.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I was under the impression that USPSA allowed internal mods, but any exterior mods weren't allowable for production. I could certainly be wrong, so I will let someone else more knowledgeable chime in.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was under the impression that USPSA allowed internal mods, but any exterior mods weren't allowable for production. I could certainly be wrong, so I will let someone else more knowledgeable chime in.

You're correct. Internal trigger mods are ok for Production, but nothing that's visible from the outside. That's why I shoot Limited Minor now... Full mags, my AIWB rig is allowed, and whatever trigger I want!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

Check THIS LINK - Appendix D for approved modifications within each division. It takes you to the 2014 Handgun rules

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Look here if you need to replace your plunger and/or spring. Factory Parts : Welcome to Speed Shooter Specialties

If your gun is relatively new, it'll have a larger plunger and spring than the older models. Mine both are older models and, thus, have the smaller parts. Itty bitty teeny tiny suckers. I don't know how I ever found my plunger when mine launched itself free and clear - but I did lose the spring.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Look here if you need to replace your plunger and/or spring. Factory Parts : Welcome to Speed Shooter Specialties

If your gun is relatively new, it'll have a larger plunger and spring than the older models. Mine both are older models and, thus, have the smaller parts. Itty bitty teeny tiny suckers. I don't know how I ever found my plunger when mine launched itself free and clear - but I did lose the spring.

This is almost perfect, but I don't see the exact part I need. The entire sear housing block is there, but sold out. The striker plunger is available, but I believe that is for the slide, when I remove the rear sight, correct?

Also, bought my m&p brand new two weeks ago, so it is the larger spring and plunger

EDIT: just found the part, and Apex responded with the same link...thank you for the help!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom