Upgrade the Model 70 or Keep Her Traditional?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I agree to start with the trigger. You like the looks but it seems from your post that looks come after function. I'd try to make it function without mucking up the looks. If you still don't have the results you want you should take a real look at some of the new economy bolts out there. You can get the results you want in an out of the box rifle for the cost of a replacement stock. Of course it's not as fun as building one and seeing the results of your work.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A judicious application of Shooter's Choice (follow the instructions to the letter!), then Acraglas gel, handloads tailored to the gun (bullet seating depth, fireformed and neck sized brass), and allowing the barrel to cool between shots (as already suggested above), then check to see how your group size improves if at all, before proceeding to the larger investment on the Timney.
    You should be able to find a recoil pad to replace the factory pad and just keep the factory pad to restore it to original condition should you like in the future.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Well the Model 70 pounded the deer yesterday, upgrades or no! 30-06 really is impressive on deer.

Oldpink, I considered that, but the length of pull is already at the long end of what I like, so I fear a better pad would add too much. I could have the stock trimmed, but then again I'm boogering up a nice gun! :dunno:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Before you bugger up the wood or spend the bucks on the trigger I have a suggestion.
    Pull the action out of the stock and back off the adjustable trigger tension. It's got about a 40lb spring and the triggers really do take some muscle to pull smoothly. Backing off the nuts (1/4" i think) and you'll be amazed in the difference in the pull.
    Takes about 5 minutes and zero dollars.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well the Model 70 pounded the deer yesterday, upgrades or no! 30-06 really is impressive on deer.

Oldpink, I considered that, but the length of pull is already at the long end of what I like, so I fear a better pad would add too much. I could have the stock trimmed, but then again I'm boogering up a nice gun! :dunno:

Congrats on scoring a deer right at the end of bonus antlerless!
    I shot my fourth ever deer with my own .30-06 on opening day of regular firearm season, this time with a Ruger M77 this time, and you're quite right about its performance.
    Your M70 Featherweight is a real beauty, and that's exactly the permutation rifle that I would have gotten if I hadn't gotten the M77 back in 1989.
    Good luck to you finding a way to bring down your group size, and I'm sure you can get there without having to modify the beautiful lines of it.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Halfmileharry- I just might do that today. Thanks for the tip!

Oldpink, thanks! And congrats on your deer too! My father in law was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so the meat from this deer is going to him to help him eat better.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Halfmileharry- I just might do that today. Thanks for the tip!

Oldpink, thanks! And congrats on your deer too! My father in law was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so the meat from this deer is going to him to help him eat better.

Prime protein and quite a gift at that.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I love my 1969 (year) model 70 in 30.06. I also have a heavy barreled 308. You can adjust the triggers down to about 3 pounds. My 30.06 is about that. If you get another stock, I could use a good one like that.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My Dad has a 1968-ish Model 70 in .300 Win Mag with a 3X9 Weaver scope. NICE!! Not pleasant to shoot, but NICE!! I hit a ground hog (not on it's hind legs) at 150 yards with it, lights-out accurate and a devastating round.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My Dad has a 1968-ish Model 70 in .300 Win Mag with a 3X9 Weaver scope. NICE!! Not pleasant to shoot, but NICE!! I hit a ground hog (not on it's hind legs) at 150 yards with it, lights-out accurate and a devastating round.

You're a better man than I am. I avoid the 300 winmag like a std or ex wife. That round just flat out kicks my ...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

I know from experience that your groundhog was nothing more than a hide attached to a head after that!

Top Bottom