• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Well instead of trading off my M&P 9 fs I decided to upgrade it a bit. The trigger pull at 8 lb's needs some fixing but before I go sticking another $200 or more into this and then finding out I wasted money and time I thought I would just try the Apex sear and see if that really improves the trigger pull. I don't have a problem with the stock hinged trigger except for the pull weight that's why I'm just trying the sear, plus it seems to have good reviews.

If it does then a set of night sights will be next. After handling a few guns with night sights at the local gun shop I can really see the benefit of having them, even for daytime shooting. I have been looking at the Ameriglo classic tritium night sights with the U rear notch. I like the 3 dot system and the rear U notch seems like it would help it line up better. Does any one here use these sights and what do you think of them? Should I look at some other brand? I would prefer to keep the price under a hundred bucks if possible.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Not that I'm a trigger snob, but anything Apex for your M&P will be an improvement over the stock trigger. To me, the full kit is a great upgrade worth the money. I've installed them to everyone I've owned, and currently have a 5" 2.0 that has the Duty/Carry Kit. The kit will be night and day different from the stock.

Also, if you plan on carrying it, night sights are a must in my humble opinion. Ameriglos are good sights that will serve it's purpose well. I too am a fan of the U notched rear. Mine is primarily a range gun, and I really like a fiber optic front with a blacked out serrated rear sight.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    The best accessories I buy for my M&P are practice ammo. Night sights are nice but proficiency with the weapon is number one. YYMV

I agree 100%.

I've got plenty of ammo and have shot quite a bit with this gun. I just want to bring out the best in it that why I want to upgrade it instead of trading it off and starting over.
    The accuracy just hasn't been very good and I'm working thru things to figure out if its just me or the gun.

I have shot a few other 9mm striker fired pistols and shot them better than my M&P such as a Ruger SR9c, Glock 19 and 17, CZ P07.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You might take a look at the Trijicon HD sights https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=SA137O or the Ameriglo Spartan Operator sights https://ameriglo.com/collections/smith-wesson/products/smith-wesson-spartan-operator-sets .

I find that the orange dot in the front really pops during the day and the rear dots without the white outline disappear and leave a nice contrast. Conversely in low light, the orange disappears but the tritium dots/vials front and back really pop.

I know you said 3 dot, and these technically are, but with a twist.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I agree 100%.

I've got plenty of ammo and have shot quite a bit with this gun. I just want to bring out the best in it that why I want to upgrade it instead of trading it off and starting over.
    The accuracy just hasn't been very good and I'm working thru things to figure out if its just me or the gun.

I have shot a few other 9mm striker fired pistols and shot them better than my M&P such as a Ruger SR9c, Glock 19 and 17, CZ P07.

Is this an early model M&P? I believe there were some accuracy issues reported with early guns.

I recently switched up my carry from Glock 19 to S&W M&P Compact 2.0 because it just seemed I could shoot the M&P a bit better without having to work quite as hard at it as I did with the Glock 19. Still using the Glock 43 when I want some extra concealment.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The best upgrade I ever did for my M&P was sell it for a Glock :laugh:

Best upgrades I ever did was sell two Glocks for two M&P's. That was way back when the M&P first came to the market, and I haven't looked back in the 13 M&P purchases since.

I was momentarily tempted when the Gen5 arrived on the market, but then I held one in the store and remembered exactly why I left Glock in the first place.

To the OP: If all you want is a lighter and smoother trigger on a Gen1 M&P, you simply have to install the Apex Hard Sear, which will only set you back $41.95 plus shipping. It is so easy to install that a blind, dyslexic monkey could probably do it. :):

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191852

Last edited:

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    That is what I ordered and should have in a few days. I will try and shoot some groups before and after side by side and see how it goes.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    You can't go wrong with the full apex kit. Although I prefer the straight cut anodized trigger I screwed up and ordered the polymer with the full kit for my 45C. $130 very well spent. Takeup is absolute minimal with the transfer loop opened up to allow for the required .016 gap and break is like glass at 4# 2oz. and very consistent. I'm not even going to bother changing to the straight trigger. I wouldn't trade this trigger setup for any fancy sights period.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The sear itself will give you great improvement over stock. That is all I've done to the innards of my older FS. The newer 2.0 doesn't seem to need any trigger work IMO.

Top Bottom